Back in December we were having problems with 2 parents in our committee and they had to be removed. One was our secretary and the other was our treasurer. Well our treasurer was relieved to be removed, but our secretary on the other hand didnt take it so well and decided that she was going to let her son finish the year up at home and has not participated in ANY acitvities or meetings since. I would like to know how he can earn his rank and cross over to wolf if he doesnt have a trained leader signing off on his book? My UC said that since she hasnt made an effort to attend pack meetings then she pretty much took her son out of scouts, and doesnt qualify as a lone scout because a lone scout only does the book activities alone but participates in other activities and the pack meets with a pack. I really dont know what to do or how to handle this situation. Is he still part of the pack? PLEASE HELP!

In order to be a Lone Scout he must be registered with the council as one and have an approved Lone Scout Counselor. While it is preferred that a Lone Scout participates in Council, District, and local Pack activities when he can, it is not mandatory.

I take it that you only removed the mother from her position as Secretary, and did not remove the boy from your Pack Charter?

Have you (CC), or your husband (CM), called the family to determine if the boy is still interested in being a member of the Pack?

Since he is a Tiger Cub Scout there is really no problem with his working at home. All of his requirements can be signed off by his parents.

Have they been in communication with the den leader at all? Have they asked for the Pack to purchase any awards for their son? Depending on how strict your council Scout Shop is they will need a signed advancement form in order to purchase any rank awards. Any non-restricted stuff they can simply purchase on their own.

As for moving to a Wolf Cub Scout, that happens automatically at the end of the school year. He does not have to earn his Tiger rank, or anything else. He simply has to finish 1st grade.

When does your Pack recharter? Unless you take this boy off of your charter before then, he is a paid member of BSA until recharter. He can transfer to another Pack at any time.

I would call the family and talk to them. It is a shame that the boy is not being recognized in front of the other Cubs for any work he has been doing at home. Let them know that their son is welcome to attend all den and Pack activities. Let them know the particulars of all upcoming Pack activities. You can also offer to help them transfer to a new Pack if they do not feel comfortable returning to yours.

All you can do is to keep it civil, and to keep the door open for the boy. If you don't hear from them by recharter, take them off of your Pack charter.

As far as I know, participation with the pack is not a rank requirement. So if they scout has completed all of the achievements with his family, the den leader should sign-off on them and the pack should award the boy his rank.

Of course, a civil conversation with them to figure out how we can get the boy back into scouting is the most important thing. A dispute betwen adults should not be permitted to remove this poor scout from the pack and his den.

Make it so...

I agree it is very sad that because we asked her to step down from being secretary she isolated her son from the pack. When we have tried to talk to her she will become very defensive and stand with her arms folded against her chest. She has told several parents that she runs into that she is not doing anything with the pack anymore and that she has "washed" her hands of us.

If she has "washed her hands" of you then it does not sound like she is interested in having her son return.

However, since the boy IS STILL A MEMBER, I would make sure to keep the door open for him. Keep them on the Pack mailing list to make sure they get all updates. I would also send her a copy of the Pack calendar and newsletter for the next few months.

Other than that, there is not a whole lot to do. Simply take them off at recharter time if they do not come back.

If you think she is defensive, and will not hear anything from you. Maybe you can see if the UC (if he was not a part of the removal process of the parents), could suggest to them a neighboring pack and suggest they transfer. If he was, maybe he can see if the DE could make the contact.

That way you may be able to help the boy relocate, and stay in scouts.

Ok, thanks. I didnt know if i should waste my time sending her information if she doesnt want to participate. Unfortunatly, the UC and the DE were involved in removing both of them and the UC is also part of the other pack in our town, so thats a no go...lol

Thank you all for your help! crystal

Well, there still may be a neighboring town.. Granted your more likely to do this type of travel for a troop that fits your sons interests, rather then Pack. But, I was checking into the four neighboring towns for someone I knew whose pack is very unorganized..

But, how much you want to be nice, to someone who doesn't want anything to do with you.. Best let them figure out their own solution.

You are not "wasting" your time sending "her" information. You are showing Compassion, Cooperation, and Positive Attitude (you know, those pesky Cub Scouting Core Values) to a SCOUT who is still a member of your Pack.

How much time, energy, and money can it be to send a few sheets of paper via the USPS?

If you feel it is to much trouble, simply contact your Council registrar now and tell them the boy, and anyone else in the family that is registered, is immediately off of your Pack's charter.

Sorry, scoutnut..

I didn't mean it like, that.. I just meant if they don't want anything to do with you. Then sending out info that you may think is being "helpful", may be getting them irratated.. Sort of like how you get irratated with telemarketers.. You, may be in the market for windows next year, but you won't go with their suggested company because they "irritated" you..

If you give them advise on other troops in the area to visit, will they take the advise of "THOSE #@#@#".. Or will it just insite them not to go to any Pack, suggested by you..

Which is why I suggested someone they were not angry at.. UC or COR, if not involved.. I have found DE's don't want to get involved on a one-on-one level, but maybe yours would.. Maybe someone who is in the troop, but not either sided with them (don't know what they did and if there were sides..) or some parent who knows them but not a member of committee or Unit Leaders.. etc..

But, if you have no one that will not insight them to see red, green, and purple.. When they contact them.. They just might be better finding there way themselves..

OK.. Heres a thought..

You look up the neighboring towns Pack.. Contact their Unit Leader.. And have THEM invite them to their troop, with just a "I heard a rumor.. Would you like to visit..", and no mention of who they heard what from.. (And, if there was something they really did that was wrong, try not to give the new Pack the story. That way they would have a chance to start anew.)

Is that worded better ScoutNut..

(Is a better solution ScoutNut?)

The Lone Scouts of America was organized in 1915 by William D. Boyce, who also helped organize the Boy Scouts of America in 1910.

Becoming a Lone Scout

* Lone Scouts include:

o Children of American citizens who live abroad

o Exchange students away from the United States for a year or more

o Boys with disabilities that might prevent them from attending regular meetings of packs or troops

o Boys in rural communities who live far from a Scouting unit

o Boys who alternate living arrangements with parents who live in different communities

* Lone Scouts are registered through a BSA local council. Sons of American citizens who live outside the United States register through the Far East Council, the Transatlantic Council, or Direct Service.

o Lone Cub Scouts is for boys who are at least in the first grade or who are 7 through 10 years of age.

o Lone Boy Scouts is for boys who are 11 through 17 years of age or have completed the fifth grade or have earned the Arrow of Light Award.

* Boys are encouraged to wear the Cub Scout and Boy Scout uniform. The Lone Scout uniform includes:

o Lone Scout emblem, No. 00352A, worn below the council shoulder patch on the left sleeve

o Neckerchief, No. 00703A

* A Lone Scout may interact with boys from local Scouting units by participating in:

o Local district and council activities

o Camporees

o Scouting shows

o Service projects

o Cub Scout day camp

o Cub Scout or Boy Scout resident camp

o Special meetings of a pack or troop

Lone Scout Counselors

* Every boy registering as a Lone Scout must have an adult, 21 years or older, who meets membership requirements and agrees to serve as the boys Lone Scout friend and counselor. The counselor must be approved by the parent or guardian if the counselor is not the parent or guardian. The counselor can be:

o The boys own parent

o Guardian

o Minister

o Teacher

o 4-H Club leader

o Experienced Scouter who lives nearby

* The counselor encourages, instructs, examines, and reviews the Lone Scout on all steps toward Scouting advancement and helps the boy take part in local council activities.

* For more information on the role of the Lone Scout friend and counselor, consult the Lone Scout Friend and Counselor Guidebook, No. 14-420.