cooking rule question

Hello,

Have a question about dutch oven cooking with webelos.Can they cook with them or not since they are using charcoal? Maybe I overlooked the rule, I know they are allowed to use charcoal and not gas, or liquid fuel. Some one told me that is was not okay, but could not give me answer as to why. Told them if they can use charcoal why not dutch ovens, they told to save it for BS.

Think it would be neat and useful to show a few things, not all the time when we camp, just once in awhile thing.

Only thing I could think of is that D.O.'s are heavy....and may not be part of Pack equipment since camping is family style.

I know when I was CM we used them, because a few adults had them.

Cubs do foil dinners (main stay of BALOO training), why not D.O.?

I couldn't find anything in the G2SS. Me-thinks just a bogus comment.

The cubs borrow our Dutch ovens for their family campouts. Is there any way to use a Dutch oven OTHER than a wood fire or charcoal? When the Webelos piggyback on a troop event, the scouts help with lugging all that iron but the cubs get to do the fire stuff. They sometimes do a better job than the scouts do.

Thanks for the comments. Think I will take one with me to try it out. I never have used one, my asst, has. I am not going to try real hard dishes but let them see what a DO is what you can do with one and how to cook with it.

More of a cooking demo and let help with the prep work,show them and teach them how to.

Not saying that everytime we will use them, but it will be something new and cool.

When I asked about why they could not, could tell they did not know how to repsond.It is one thing to "suggest" they should wait or can't, it is another to say it is againist the rules.

Funny thing is have lot active boys that want to go camping, and tell us to not to camp to much as it might spoil them for BS.Thought that was the point to prepare them for the BS side to come.Not saying camping every month, but more than a couple times also.

Camping with the Webelos will get them excited for Boy Scouts! They're car camping now, get a Scoutmaster or SPL to come in and show them photos of the boys backpacking overnight and the fun stuff they get to do!

During BALOO class. the guy acting as cooking instructor basically made out like it was an age appropriate thing. So I guess you use your own judgement as to wether you think your cubs can handle it without getting burned.

In out pack, some of the Webelos can cook. They all mix up ingredients , pour thenm into the ovens and such, but it seems like only a few "More" mature acting Webelos actually handle placing coals under and on top of the DO's.

It seems the biggets thing is when it's time to check how progress is doing:

You don't use regular pliare that transfer heat to the handle really fast. No mitts or plain old leather gloves. The instructor said his pack/ troop uses welding gloves and the lid tool and you also don't have to worry about a scout dumping that nice prett ash dust into your food! :)

The instructor at BALOO said use your honest judgement and do not EVER let one do it just because he really wants to - the must be mature enough.

So, an official answer? Nope! Not hardly, but it does make sense!

I just looked through the BALOO syllabus and WELOTS syllabus and both are pretty vague on cooking other than to keep it simple. There are no restrictions on Dutch ovens listed. I think the biggest concern is the weight. No one really wants a 9-10 yr old swinging a 300 degree lid around that he cannot support. I think that under good supervision it is fine. Ours have done it in the past and will again at the next campout.