Cub Scout Camping - Parentless??

having both a 3.5 and a 1.5 y.o. go camping with the pack can be a challenge :) been there done that. It's possible, but challenging.

Funny thing was this, the 3.5 and 6 yos wer the ones that tunred in early. !.5 year old was up and at them. Guess the stoller ride all day didn't tucker himout like the otehr two walking.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, as long as the boy is not a Tiger (who MUST have his Adult Partner with him at all times), have the mom contact the family of one of her son's friends in his den to ask if they will take him and be responsible for him. She can send along a tent for the boys to use, or the Pack can borrow one from a Troop.

BTW - I have camped with a 1 year old. It takes a bit of coordination, some camping confidence, one of those kid carrier packs, and it would help if her Scout is older, but it is very doable, and fun.

Shucks, given today's world I thought I was going to read about nude camping with boys. (RE: Cub Scout Camping - Pantless?) :)

To answer the question posed - yes, a Cub Scout, Tiger included, may go on a Pack overnighter without their parent(s) present given that other criteria are met.(This message has been edited by acco40)

DYB, The confusion comes from the fact that one is partially part of the other. Family Camping is Camping (Pack, Troop, or otherwise) where families are camping together. The part that says parents are responsible for their children refers to both BSA and non-BSA children. Pack Overnighters however are organized Pack activities with events planned, etc. These are almost always Family Camping, however like some Resident Camps, Cubs may attend without a parent is someone is responsible for them. This resposibility should be 1-1, however you could allow an extra boy with someone (ie, BSA says that all Tigers need a parent/guardian with them, even requires a different one registered with each one on the charter, however this is not realistic in the case of twins/triplets).

In other words, Family Camping is a type of camping, not a type of Camping Event. Does this confuse or explain better?

Pack212Scouter, thanks for trying to clarify things, but I still dont see much difference, with the exception of maybe resident camp. I have not had any Cub Scout resident camp experience as yet so Im not sure how that works. From your post it appears that parents are required to accompany their scouts to resident camps as well?

YIS

Mike

Resident Camps depend alot on the coucil and unit, but also BSA recomendations and rules, as well as state rules. In our Council Cub Scout Resident Camp (Wolves & Bears) cubs have to have a parent/guardian attending and it is included in the price. Webelos Resident Camp a parent can go, or not go as long as the unit has at least 2 leaders going and maintains a 6-1 ratio. The Fees are for Scouts only (adults are extra) and the Council gives each unit a free leader for every 6 registered Webelos from the unit. Now in the case of our Pack (there are 5 Webelos Resident Camps) we "sponsor" one session where we have leaders. If someone chooses to go to another, a parent/guardian has to go with them.

Now back to the diffenece between Family Camping and Pack overnighter...

Family Camping is a camping activity where the Scouts family goes. This could be a Pack, Troop, or Venture Camping Trip where families attend. The Troop/Venture aspect kinda clarifies it here since traditionally most of their camping is Troop/Patrol/Crew camping and not Family Camping. Our Troop for istance does two Family Camping events each year and the rest are Troop/Patrol.

Pack Overnighters are Pack events that may or may not be family camping, although due to the nature of Cub Scouting and the emphasis on family, they are almost always set up as Family Camping. What this means is that Family Camping rules may not strictly apply to a Pack Overnighter, a Pack can choose to allow alternate arrangements so that a Cub may attend, so long as he is supervised. It's kinda of BSA GREY, but Family Camping is meant to define the requirements when families attend and event.

It's not often that I get to skate the edges of the rules so neatly:

My ADL and I are sharing an 8 man two bedroom tent with our sons. We're hosting a third cub whose dad is deployed overseas, whose mom has other kids in other activities. If we don't take him with us, he'd be staying home.

3 Cubs in one tent bedroom, two leaders in the other tent bedroom; and we've limboed under the wire!

Update - Campout is now done . . . The parents in question were "able to rearrange their plans" and Dad was able to take the Wolf on the campout. Dad even told me that he (the Dad) "really didn't want to miss it!"

Looking at this from a bigger-picture view (and a bit of Monday morning quarterbacking thrown in): We did not "short-change" this Cub Scout . . . I'd say we actually "strengthened his relationship with his Dad." Cub Scouts is a "Family Program" (various definitions of family are available, of couse). I don't know if this was a pure Baby-Sitters of America case (parents using Scouts as a babysitting service), but people are gonna do what is most important to them; and since Dad was actually there in the end, I guess "Family" (and Cub Scouting) wins out! Hooray!!

PS - Still no response from National ;-)

"since Dad was actually there in the end, I guess "Family" (and Cub Scouting) wins out!" ===> great result, Reaper!

When we train Cub Leaders, one of the things we try to emphasize in our "Every Parent Leads" sharing of jobs and meeting roles is that when a Parent does "step up" and participate -- and get recognized for it -- that Parent becomes a "hero" to the Scout and the Den or Pack. At least in their offspring's eyes . . . ("that's my dad!"). And it makes lad and dad want to do more . . .