Wanted: Ideas for Activities for Webelos Citizen Requirements

In my son's Webelos den in the large pack, about 12 of the boys haven't done the Citizen requirement yet. I would like to plan a special den meeting to get as much of it done as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities that the boys will think are fun, and will fulfill requirements for the Citizen pin?

The boys in my den really enjoyed playing "Citizen Jeopardy". Inform them about the activity beforehand so that they can (a) watch an episode of "Jeopardy" to learn how it works, and (b) study the relevant section of their Webelos handbooks in advance.

We held a mock trail in our den. One of the boys was accused of stealing ice cream from the cafeteria and was the defendant, one boy was prosecutor, one was defense attorney, two were witnesses (one for each side), the rest were the jury. Each boy had an assigned part but the script was theirs to come up with and the outcome of the trail was not predetermined. The prosecutor even got a parent to act as a suprise witness for his side. Our two den leaders were the judge and baliff....the boys loved it and it gave them a sense of how our justice system and court room work. Of course we talked about this over the course of 2 den meetings then had the trail at the 3rd. Look in the Webelos leader guide for good suggestions too.

I printed American flags for them to color, and then we hung them around the meeting space (some vertically, some horizontally) and went outside to practice hoisting & lowering. My den chief was in charge of our practice flag ceremonies. (#3)

We played Trivia Tic Tac Toe for a review of the factual requirements (#2 4 6)

As we got closer to finishing the pin, some kids had missed pieces and parts, so I typed up a list of the talking requirements that each boy was missing & printed them out. I recruited a few lingering parents, and split the den up among them. There were 4 pods in a large room, 2 kids, one adult per pod, all in sight of each other. No adult got his own son, it was all non-related adults. (Sort of a mini MBC approach) They were able to complete #5, 7, 9, & 14 in 15 minutes, and everyone got to talk.

Hope this helps.

We've got 3 Citizen Den Meeting Plans in the Webelos Meeting Plans at http://atlanta631.mypack.us/node/1005, including a link to a Jeopardy Citizen Website from another pack, plus a set of Jeopardy Answers and Questions written out and completed in multiple categories to help you with that part (you could also do it as a straight "Scholar Quiz" type of game show).

The arc of the meetings is basically (1) intro and prep (including an optional exercise to "make up the laws on an island"), with Flag Work, (2) a Community Leader Visit (many will come to you if you ask, and can be very interesting for the Scouts), and (3) the Jeopardy or Scholar Quiz meeting to cap it all off.

Hope this helps.

We were able to get some American Legion guys to do flag stuff with the boys. They went all out for us. It was a great way to tie into the community. I did a little article for the newspaper. They printed it with a couple pictures. (Note: Very small town.) The Legion guys were thrilled to do this.

Let them sit in on a leaders meeting or possibly a troop committee meeting with one of the Boy Scout trops.

Let them see how the paxck works( kinda like it's own mimi government) . Let the Webelos see that the den leaders don't just make stuff up 5 minutes before it happens. Show them stuff is brought up, discussed and voted on at meetings and committee meetings that afect the entire year.