From Wikionary: Online Dictionary

METHOD: Noun

A process by which a task is completed; a way of doing something.

So I constantly see this person or that one talking about one method, several methods or sometimes referencing that a particular function is part of a method.

I know what is meant. But let me ask this:

If it does the job, shouldn't any method be okay?

NO! I do not include threatening , brain washing or torture, even though those could be considered methods for training somebody.

I surely do not mean sitting the scouts down and lecturing them to tears either.

A while back, I mentioned the idea of just having a plain old fun day at a family pack campout. Insted of having a particular activity around an activity badge, why not just have a bunch of fun.

For example: A parent/son obstacle course. You start out with a three legged race. Then switch to a blindfold relay race: One of the two people in the 3 legged race becomes the eyes and "guides " the other person by voice alone. At the end of a designated section, they switch up or a 3rd person takes the blindfold and then the previous "blind" person guides the 3rd person. Then you have a relay sack race. Then maybe carry an egg in a spoon.

Then so on until you hit the finish line.

The prize could be a rubber chicken or somthing silly.

Then maybe a burp contest with 3 catagories; Loudest burp, longest burp, and saying something burp.

Now, it might all just sound stupid at first, but here's the method: Sillyness hides education. Meaning, during the obstacle course, you learn team work ( 3 legged race), trust(being blind during Blind relay), leadership ( being the guide during blind relay), and skill ( egg/spoon carry, and then sportsmanship( rubber chicken trophy? LOL!)During all of it you are being athletic and staying fit.

Then during the burp contest, the kids may actually forget about being so scared or nervous in front of audiences or crowds.

So, while it was what appeared to be foolish fun, it actualy had a benefit.

No, I'm not saying that all meeting or campouts should be run this way. But as we all know..the same old thing gets old. You loose their interest. You need to liven things up and add some spice.

No. it doesn't have to specifically be a burp contest ot armpit farts. It could be a comedy routine or impressions. It could be Stupid people tricks or skits.

It could be a talent contest.

Whatever method it takes and whatever works right?

And it sure was fun , at least if you are a 7 to 11 year old cub scout.

No I do not insinuate dropping other methods or programs or ideas. I just saying , that every once in a while, on certain occasions such as pack family campouts ( where other kids are not scouts)......Just have fun!

Relax,

Have fun with the boys, pick up the leader book and pick up the youth book and sit down and read them. At this point your making it more complicated than it needs to be. Relax

With the recent posts, I am going to tell you that you are wasting your money on woodbadge if you take it now. You are not ready. Take all of the Cub and BS leader training courses, not the ones on line. But the instructor lead courses. You will get to network with other scouters and interact, give and receive ideas, get local program help. Roundtable, have you been to one yet. It will open your eyes.

The HOLY GRAIL of Boy scouting is the Patrol Method, While many strive for it few actually achieve it. Your a couple of years from worrying about it. as you have seen it is the source of endless debate. When you take SM training it will be discussed.

What about down time on the campout? let the boys hunt bugs or get muddy in the creek.

Why do things you can do at a den meeting at a camp? Seems like wasted effort. I would concentrate on things they can't do at home or during a den meeting.

Just curious, what does this post have to do with the Webelo Den???(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

It's not specifically a Webelos den thing, but cub scouting in general.

At our pack campouts, everything is scripted . Most of the time, I'm okay with that. But since it's a family campout, not every sibling nor parents wants to spend all day following an intenerary.

Plenty of time for down time, but why not take the "organized " time and relax the standards some.

Make the cubs really remember the fun they had at the PACK campout.

Now, to be honest with you,I haven't given Boy Scouting much thought. As of right now, I don'tplan to go to Boy Scouts, but rather plan on sticking to Cub Scouts even after/if my son crosses over.

Figuring that Boy Scouting is pretty much the SM and ASM (plus a few parents) I could be doing "more" with cubs instead of just hanging out in the shadows with the big boys.

No offense to Boy scouts....it's just that I really enjoy working with the younger crowd.

So as for the Boy Scouting side of it, my only invovlement may be den chiefs, troop/Webelos functions and such. Stuff done from the cub scout side.

After Webelos scouts cross over, I could start over with Tigers or serve in another spot.

Things may change later, but right now, I don't foresee doing the Boy Scout thing.

But who knows?

I intend on remaining in Cub Scouting after my son crosses over to give him space to create his own scouting experience. He needs to work with the youth and adult leaders, I am aware that my presence changes the group dynamic.

There should be less "stuff" in boy scouts for the helicopter parent/type A personality to do. To be honest, it is really tough to watch them struggle, but it is part of the deal.

The methods of Cub Scouting are:

1.Character Development

2.Spiritual Growth

3.Good Citizenship

4.Sportsmanship and Fitness

5.Family Understanding

6.Respectful Relationships

7.Personal Achievement

8.Friendly Service

9.Fun and Adventure

10.Preparation for Boy Scouts

So its cool when boys have fun on a campout. It *is* a method - but as you can see, its not the only method. The program needs to be a balance of the methods, not all of just one thing.

A program that is too unstructured has a lot of pitfalls in it. First, believe it or not, is that the boys won't have fun. You'd think if you let them go without structure for a few hours they'd have a great time, right? Not really. For one thing, not as many kids know how to do unstructured play these days. For another, without some structure, they may actually get bored. Finally, for some boys the structure is reassuring. Face it - these are kids who spend 200+ days a year doing math at x time, going to lunch at y time, having Music class on Mondays and Art on Wednesdays and Gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays. All of a sudden giving them *no* parameters is actually scary.

Another risk is that the parents will be unsatisfied - something that can turn ugly. In general, they will perceive "unstructed play" as disorganization on the part of the leadership. (Even if its listed as free time). If they have attended previous pack events or district or council camps, they have an expectation that program (i.e. organized activities) will be provided.

Unstructured time with a large number of Scout aged kids can also lead to behavior issues. You risk fights, lost boys, injuries from boys running/climbing/exploring places they should not be. I know, I sound like a kill-joy. But one of your jobs as a leader is to keep them safe. If by using a stuctured program, you provide them with fun AND keep them safe and healthy then you've done a good job.

There are a variety of reasons to use a particular set of methods. There may be lots of methods that can get you the results you want, and adding a few troop or pack specific methods can be ok.

But, some reasons to stick with the existing methods:

1. So everyone knows what to expect.

2. To make use of the available training materials.

3. BSA has reasonable evidence that the methods work ok. (although some days I wonder)

4. So that your pack is similar to other packs - better for transferees, better sharing, better ability to get ideas from places like, well, this.

5. So parents and Scouts who read in the book about what should be happening don't get bent out of shape.

6. More materials and equipment readily availabe.

7. The methods tend to correlate to the awards - so the Scouts can earn the awards more naturally (although if you did away with method #7 then that wouldn't matter)

I'm sure you can come up with more.

It seems to me that you're not really talking about the methods. You're talking more about being overly scripted. I don't see "sticking to the script" listed as one of the methods, so I think you are fine.

Scoufish, Im getting dj vu. Didnt you start a discussion of this topic in another thread?

The advice given to you before and now is sound. An unstructured, poorly planned event can lead to all sorts of problems, including boredom. As I wrote before, OVER planning is the actual goal. Better so many activities you cant do them all than not enough so you are scrambling and giving the impression of disorganization.

Yes, there is room for just plain old fun in the activities and if you research Cub Scout literature (handbooks, Program Helps, Pow Wow books, etc.), as well as the web, youll find plenty of fun activities and games.

When you signed on as a leader you agreed to deliver the Cub Scout program and your challenge is to help put together events that are fun, engaging, and a little educational all in one.

I have a couple of questions that occurred to me this time around. Have you approached the Cubmaster with your ideas? If so, how were they received? Are your concerns about the scripted events yours alone or have other adults and/or scouts voiced the same opinions?

By the way, I see youre really into the burping contest. I think using that as a method of cub scouting is a stretch. This brings up an important point: make sure you run by your peers and the Cubmaster any activities that could be of questionable taste before doing them. What might seem like harmless fun to you might be offensive to others. Im not sure how a burping contest would fly in our Pack. Ill have to ask.

YIS,

Mike

Once again - Cub Scouts do NOT earn MERIT BADGES. Terminology is VERY important if you want to communicate clearly to people.

If you want to go camping and just do nothing, play offensive games, and do activities that are in poor taste at best, go camping with your buddies or your family. Do NOT do this on Scouting time. Parents are paying good money for their sons to participate in the SCOUTING PROGRAM, and to be exposed to POSITIVE VALUES, not to learn how to belch the loudest.

The following was all taught to you in your BALOO training -

The BSA National guidelines for Cub Scout Pack camping are that the emphasis should NOT be on advancement for advancement's sake. It should be on FUN, with advancement occurring NATURALLY as part of the activities and program. Cub Scout advancement is not supposed to be boring, and outdoors is one of the LEAST boring places it happens.

ALL of the activities of a Pack camping trip should relate DIRECTLY to one, or more, of the purposes of Cub Scouting, and to Cub Scouting's 12 Core Values.

The purposes of Cub Scouting are -

Spiritual growth

Good citizenship

Sportsmanship and fitness

Family understanding

Respectful relationships

Personal achievement

Friendly service

Fun and adventure

Preparing for Boy Scouts

Cub Scouting's 12 Core Values are -

Citizenship

Compassion

Cooperation

Courage

Faith

Health and fitness

Honesty

Perseverance

Positive attitude

Respect

Responsibility

Appendix E of your BALOO packet includes 3 pages of ideas on how to incorporate Core Values in outdoor activities.

BSA expects every Scouting activity, including a Cub Scout Pack camping trip, to embody positive values and the aims of Scouting. This includes not allowing jokes, stunts, etc, that are in poor taste. Appendix C in your BALOO handouts addresses this very subject. It includes guidelines for Scouting appropriate activities. The last one is - "Model the values of BSA and set a high standard of appropriateness in ALL Scouting activities." "IF IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT." Contrary to what you suggest, this is VERY possible to do. I very much doubt that families >>"might be offended by kids laughing "

Yeah..... I still don't see where I have avoided or went astray from the suggested program.

The purposes of Cub Scouting are -

Spiritual growth

Good citizenship

Sportsmanship and fitness ..........COVERED

Family understanding

Respectful relationships

Personal achievement ...............COVERED

Friendly service

Fun and adventure ..................DEFINANTLY COVERED

Preparing for Boy Scouts

Cub Scouting's 12 Core Values are -

Citizenship

Compassion

Cooperation.........................COVERED

Courage.............................COVERED

Faith

Health and fitnes...................COVERED

Honesty

Perseverance........................COVERED

Positive attitude...................COVERED

Respect

Responsibility

WOW! For a pack family campout, ......saeems like I covered ALOT of values and methods all in the span of 1 1/2 to 3 hours.

Not sure what Wood Badge has to do with BALOO, or Pack camping, but hey, whatever works for you.

I know a number of Pack families who, if they saw a "womanless beauty pageant" at one of our Pack campouts, would pull their kids from the Pack, and possibly from Scouting altogether. But, after all, who needs them, so why worry.

It seems we disagree, and you are set on doing things your way no matter what.

Scoutfish,

Ive been reading and re-reading yours posts and responses on this topic (and the earlier, related one) and I THINK Im beginning to get what you are trying to say.

The trouble is, for me anyway, you throw in all these red herrings about methods and scripted programs, when I think all you really want to say is:

I feel our Family Campouts are a bit stale. What can we do to liven up the event?

Is that it?

Most of your suggestions, like the sack races, do have merit and are acceptable activities, although the burping contest is still debatable (the cautions on offensive activities still stand). I think the way you are framing your posts is whats causing the debate.

This brings me back to the questions I asked in my previous post:

Are your concerns about the scripted events yours alone or have other adults and/or scouts voiced the same opinions?

And

Have you approached the Cubmaster with your ideas? If so, how were they received?

Im going to go out on a limb here and speculate that you have approached your Cubmaster with your ideas and you didnt get the response you hoped for. This might explain the way you framed your posts and the tone of defensiveness in your responses.

ScoutNut, thanks for the Baloo refresher. Ive signed on to help with a Baloo training this coming June and your lecture was helpful.

YIS,

Mike