Layout for your pack meeting

I am curious to compare notes:

How do your packs layout the room for the meeting?

Do the scouts sit in chairs or one the floor?

Are they in straight lines (like theatre rows), horseshoe/half-circle, or some other formation?

Is there anything unique or special about the way your pack sets up the meeting?

Most of the time we use the theater row chair set up with Cubs in front and adults in the back.

Occasionally weve set up the chairs in a hybrid semi-circle, that is, with the theater rows for the adults in back and the semi-circle for the Cubs in front. Weve used this for certain presentations or when we use our artificial campfire.

We had a campfire storyteller at our Blue and Gold this year and for that we had the Cubs sit on the floor in a semi-circle and the adults in chairs behind in a kind of semi-circle as well. I also remember the Cubs seated on the floor for a Halloween presentation.

I guess it boils down to what we think will work best for the presentation were doing.

YIS

Mike

Thanks everyone. Our pack has always done rows of chairs in the past, but I find the kids sitting in the back rows don't pay attention. I think they feel like they are hiding behind the front rows.

I suggested to our new cubmaster that we try a new layout: horseshoe with kids sitting on the floors. He liked my suggestion, and we will try it at the next meeting.

It will be interesting to see if we get any "feedback" from the parents or the veteran-leaders who are all used to doing things they way they have always been done.

I like change and trying new things. ;-)

We use the layout suggested in the Cub Scout leader book. It is a horseshoe formation, with the boys sitting in the front row by dens and their parents sit behind them. Sort of abbreviate version below

P P P P P P P

P S S S S S P

P S S P

P S S P

P S S P

P S S P

CM

P = parent

S = Scout

CM = Cubmaster

Oops that didn't come out right - there should be an open space in the middle.

We like this arrangement, because it puts the Cubmaster within a few feet of the Scouts, allowing eye contact and helping increase attention. It shortens the distance the Scouts have to travel to reach the front for songs/skits/awards and uniform inspection. Also when their parents are sitting right behind them, the parents have immediate access to the Scouts for mis-behavior.

Take a bag. No grab a handful of blue, red, yellow, and green marbles. put them all in the bag, shake it up and dump them on the floor.

That's our layout! LOL!

Well, the dens do stick together, but after that, those dens are scattered around and not with or near like ranks.

We use the CO's sanctuary for pack meetings, so we are stuck with straight parallel rows.

I do like info's plan. At the least, we should sit the ranks together

Way back when I was visiting the pack that met in the same hall where I was SM. I was surprised to see that the CM (flanked by the flags) was positioned directly in front of the door of the hall rather than at he stage end. I asked if it was for better acoustics? Nope, it was to make it hard to sneak in late.

P P P P P P P

P S S S S S P

P S S P

P S S P

P S S P

P S S P

CM

P = parent

S = Scout

CM = Cubmaster

I think that's what infoscouter meant to draw. We do ours in a semi-circle, too, with the Scouts in chairs. We generally have two rows of Scouts, though.