Webelos 1 - June 1...when to choose patrol patch?

Hi,

Just thinking ahead to the next level. I'm reading differing info on when to choose a patrol patch - some sources say 1st year, others say 2nd. What has everyone else been doing?

(I know that we still call ourselves a "den", despite the fact we'll wear a patch).

And do the leaders wear the patch as well?

Many thanks!

Our den which crossed over the Troop last night picked their patrol emblem before the end of the school year before they became first year Webelos so they could go to Summer Camp with their patrol yell and flag. And I don't know if it was correct but the WDL did wear the patrol patch.

I would think that on the first day the boys put on the Webelos uniform and start as Webelos they begin the process of organizing themselves. If this entails a new patrol name, etc. then go for it. Anything to get the boys excited about their new role is a good thing.

Stosh

At our first official Webelos meeting we started working on the Citizen Activity Badge. I tied in a primary election to narrow down the patches they liked. Then the next meeting we started with a debate between CM, WDL and AWDL on the top 3 patrol emblems and had the election with secret ballot.

BSA has no "rule" about when to go to the Webelos Den Emblem. It is up to the individual den. However, as the others have said, doing it at the start of their Webelos trail gives them something to get excited about. It helps to bring it home to them that they are in a brand new program, and not just the same old stuff they had for the last few years.

Per the BSA Insignia Guide, den leaders may wear wear den numbers. The Webelos Den Emblem replaces their den numbers, so the Webelos den leader may wear it also.

Officially there is no such distinction among 9 year old Webelos and 10 yo webelos, i.e. Webelos I and Webelos II, so the can name the den effective 1 June.

As for leader's wearing the den emblem. the uniform inspections sheet states the following:

Den or emblem numeral, if applicable, below and touching the flag

from here http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf

Also the the male leader chekclist found here

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/Male_Leader_Checklsit.pdf

does list the Patrol Emblem ( that's BSA speak BTW) on the adult uniform. HOWEVER after looking at the sheets there are MAJOR errors on someof the leader chekclists, i.s. MS sashes, patches going on the wrong spot, etc.

But yes the DL wear the number or emblem of their den.

We like to wait until the boys have earned their Webelos badge before they pick a patrol patch. Many of the boys stay in the blue cub shirts until they earn their Webelos badge. In years past, the parents buy the tan shirts for them to wear to the pack meeting where they receive their badge. The boys then look like a separate "Patrol" from the rest of the Cubs. They get to pick their patrol name and patch and make their Patrol Flag at the first "den" meeting after they have received their badge. After they have their rank badge, they are free to work on whatever activity pins they want. The leaders try to encourage them to pick one that all of them are interested in and assign tasks for each boy that model the patrol method.

Eagle92,

The adult leader wearing the patrol patch - to your knowledge is that a recent change?

Not to hijack the thread but about 21 months ago, when I was preparing to wear my Wood Badge patrol critter, I was told by several sources that, officially, adult leaders did not wear patrol patches. Of course unofficially everyone did.

It appears from the links you provided that now officially they can, or does that just apply to the Webelos den leader. The links dont appear to make any distinction.

YIS,

Mike

DYB,

You are correct, BOY SCOUT leaders do not wear patrol emblems on their uniforms, except during, and only during WB21C. Once they complete the week or two weekends the patrol emblems are suppose to come off.

HOWEVER CUB SCOUT Leaders do wear their DEN numbers, and when the Webelos DEN decides on a name, they wear that medallion. See the links above.

As I have learned this past year, there are minor differences between Cub Scout and BOY Scout leader uniform regs, i.e. blue loops vs OD,temp insignia MAY be worn in jambo spot on CS leader uniforms, leaders wear den emblem, etc.

Also the caps above are not shouting,just pointng the differences in terms.

DITED: to the best of my knowledge, that's how it's always been. TBH never really paid attention to CS leader uniform regs until this past year.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

• 2 months later...

I posted this question in another forum as well, but will repeat it here if I may. Is it only at the Webelos level that the kids choose a name for themselves and use that instead of their Den numbers? I'm getting the impression that it is only at Webelos that they wear a patch reflecting their choice (is that true?), but can other levels pick, and use, a name without wearing the patch?

With thanks,

Mike

Some Dens might choose informal names, but this is not a part of the Cub Scouting program. The only offical part of Cub Scouting that can designate Den names is the Webelos rank. That said, I don't think that there is any rule against it....just not a specific rule for it.

While there is no specific BSA rule against Tiger/Wolf/Bear dens from choosing a den name, there IS a restriction on who can wear a den emblem.

Per the BSA Insignia Guide, den emblems are "Optional for Webelos Scouts if Webelos dens are named."

Den emblems are only for Webelos.