I am the Committee Chair for a Pack looking for information about Den Chiefs from those Packs/Troops who have sucessfully used them. What works? What doesn't work? How much help do they provide? How can Den Chiefs benefit dens and den leaders? If a den is struggling because of a poor den leader does having a Den Chief help or can it make the situation worse?

A good Den Chief is worth their weight in PLATINUM, not gold.

The den chief I had as a CS was approx 15, Star, and had a lot of experience in scoutcraft and leadership. He joined us when I was a Webelos. He ran a few meetings with the adults supervising, basically those meetings focusing on outdoor scoutcraft skills, intro'd use to his troop (which was not affiliated with the pack) which my den later joined. Overall he was an asset.

However the I need to stress the WDLs used him appropriately and allowed him to do things that was outside their comfort zone, but were part of the program. I however worked for one set of DLs who treated me as if I was another CS not an aid to help them, and didn't do much with the den. So I transfered to, and stuck with another den for my last 2 years as a DC (this was when CSs was 3 years and a DC stayed for 3 years)

So you not only want a good DC, but also DLs who will use him to their and the CS's advantage. The CSs do hero worship the DC, emmulate, and are a more prone to listen to him than the DLs at times.

A good den chief is a HUGE asset. A bad den chief is a drain.

I'm WDL, and I thank my lucky stars for the Den Chief I have. When the CC asked me if I wanted a DC, I said, "Only if he's ready to work." The CC & CM interviewed candidates, showed them the Den Chief Handbook, and talked to them about expectations.

My den chief can get the den to sing. I cannot. They look at me like I'm crazy--but singing with that teenaged boy? THAT's cool. Man, whatever works.

We had a den talk about what the boys wanted to learn--when they said "Engineer," my DC took over, and I let him. (It was a little hard to let go the control, but that's really my goal, so I just did a hard thing. :) ) He led them in building catapults, talked about electricity, bridges--all that stuff. I provided support, and pretty minimal support at that.

Last year, when the boys were Bears & I was Just A Mom, a Scout came on a meeting night and asked if I wanted a den chief. "I'm not the DL--I'm just filling in tonight. You'll need to ask Mr. _______" We never saw him again. (pretty clear to me he wasn't really interested in the job)

There is online training for Den Chiefs as well as a good Den Chief Handbook. You should supply that to the den chief scout so he can be successful. It also describes what should be expected of a den chief.

It would absolutely NOT be appropriate to recruit a den chief with the hopes he would help a struggling den. That is completely unfair to the scout and a set-up for failure. Instead, that poor den leader should be trained and coached to improve, or replaced.

See http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/AboutCubScouts/ThePack/csdcf.aspx for the Den Chief responsibilities.

And, if the den chief enjoys his first couple months, he might stick around a whole year and earn the Den Chief Service award. We have a scout doing that this year. See http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/dencf.aspx

Scout On

• 4 weeks later...

my son spent a year working as a Den Chief and loved it and the Den Leader loved having him. It was for a Webelos I & II den.

my son led opening and closing games so the DL could get things set up and cleaned up, talk to parents, etc... he taught all the scout skills for outdoorsman dealing with starting a fire, tying knots, pitching tents, etc... he also taught 2 other activity pins.

the next year the new Web II joined the new Web I den and they already had a Den Chief that was staying with them so my son moved on to doing other positions with the troop.

My son worked with a pack in the town we live in that has it's own troop, 2 of the boys from his Web II went on to a different troop, but this year 2 of the boys from his Web I group joined his troop - and now that he is SPL is really enjoying working with these 2 again helping them get to know all the boys in this troop.

Since I am a very part-time, part-time leader (like only a handful of meetings and campouts a year due to work), I don't know everything they do. But I do know that both my sons totally enjoyed the Den Chief postion. My oldest son in particular. He did it off and on for about 3 years. He took a special delight in seeing kids that he worked with in a Den cross-over to the Troop.

1. A den chief is only as strong as the den leader he's placed with. If the leader is weak -- the Cubmaster needs to work with the leader first.

Be sure that the den leader knows what to do with the den chief -- a kind of training for them as well.

Don't compromise on the requirements for den chief. A younger, not quite First Class boy sometimes isn't ready for the position and may not be mature enough to be in the position.

Provide lots of opportunity to praise your Den Chief(s). Doing this will make it a more positive experience and they'll spread the good word to the troop. This includes trips to cub scout camp as Den Chiefs as a thank you.

Sorry for the contrairian opinion but,

Yes, a good Den Chief can make up for a poor Den Leader IF the DC IS a good one and the DL has enough sense to get out of the way when the magic is happening. If the DL is an over-controller (in addition to possibly being a weak leader) it simply can't work.

You do need to get a DC who wants to be there and isn't "just" filling a POR.

It's your responsibility to train him, or see that he gets trained for the DC position.

The DL needs to hopefully employ him for his intended purpose.

I've got two out to a pack right now who could BE the DL's and are WAYYY past needing credit for their work - not your Average DC's but they are really really good one's.

My oldest is a den chief. He is on the young side, but works with one of the younger dens (wolves) instead of scouts who are only a year or two behind him. He has enjoyed things so much that he wanted to do a second year.

The den leader needs to have specific things for the den chief to do (teach a knot, lead songs, lead a game, teach the parts of safe swim, etc).

Good communication and advance notice help a lot. A den chief should know ahead of time what the den leader will ask them to do at the meeting so that they can prepare.

My son did the online den chief training. He also ended up being at the Cub Scout Leader Specific training that his den leader was at. I am pack trainer and initially had planned on using him just as an example of scout uniforming, but he was having such a good time that he stayed for the whole thing, including planning a model den meeting. I don't know that it would help every den chief, but I think it gave my son a better insight into what went into planning for a meeting.

Remember that while there really isn't a substitute for the face to face interaction between the DL and the DC in the training process and for clarifying expectations, DC training IS available online - just because the DL doesn't provide it isn't a reason for the DC not to get trained.

Front page of the training section posted below, need your member number to create an account if you want the system to maintain your records. I would also print out a copy each time you complete training.

https://myscouting.scouting.org/_layouts/MyScouting/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f_layouts%2fAuthenticate.aspx%3fSource%3d%252f&Source=%2f

• 3 months later...

Have the DC go to DC training(a must if he is to make his cord red,white,blue)

Meet with the Scoutmaster, DC,DC parents, and DL.Talk about the expectations for this position. This is a position that I have seen a boy use for Life and Eagle rank.

Get the DC the Cub book for the year of the boys he serves. I don't see how you can possibly be effective without knowing the material.

Guide the DC towards making his cord red,white and blue. Easy to do if the DC is doing his job(As BP says about advancememnt"like getting a tan in the outdoors while having fun) or something like it.

The DC parents play a huge role in this. Added transportation, added runs to the store for materials, helping the boy prepare. YET THEY DO NOT DO THE JOB FOR THE DC. DC's parent should go have a cuppa decafe and read the paper while DC does his thing. Parent is not to facilitate the DC's actions at the meeting. The boy "earns his stripes " by doing this. "Dad please let me do this"

This and leading a patrol can be the best two positions for a boy if it is handled properly