Arrow of Light separate from crossing over

Yep my pack also does the AOL and Crossover ceremony combined. BUT we also do both ceremonies as soon as the Cub earns the AOL and can join the troop. We try to use the OA all the time, buit on one or two occasions the OA was able to make it, so I would do the ceremony in my dance clothes. Helps now that I'm registered in the pack adn attend the meetings.

EDITED: the reason most packs do a combined AOL and Crossover ceremony is that the AOL is the highest award in CS, and prepares you for the BS. Thus once you get the AOL, you are doen with the CS program, and are ready to move on to the REAL Fun ;)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

I have often wondered how much influence the idea that AOL and immediately being done with Cub Scouts has on getting the Eagle and immediately being done with Boy Scouts?

When I was a WDL I had my first year Webelos boys earn their AOL by the first Blue Gold (end of Webelos I) and then they crossed over at the second (end of Webelos II). For the boys that didn't get their AOL at the first BG had plenty of time to get it at their 2nd.

I had weekly den meetings and a monthly outing of some sort. That gave us plenty of time to accomplish this in a timely manner. It also quelled the idea that AOL was the "end" of their Cub Scout "career". It also gave the boys a boost at Pack meetings to have the AOL patch on their shirt for a long time before they moved on to Boy Scouts.

Stosh

You may be that the idea of once you got AOL you are done affecting the mentality of once you get Eagle you are done. Problem is that they way the CS program is structured, the AOL is suppose to prepare you for the next step: joining Boy Scouts. That's why you visit a troop, go on a troop activity, learn the Scout Oath and Law, etc.

Again the Webelos program in my pack is designed to prep them for BS and to get them intot he troop as soon as they are ready as shown by earning the AOL. Sometimes it's a group that crosses over, otehr times it's individuals. the Key that the troop found is get them involved with the troop ASAP so that they and the parents are comfortable sendign the Scotu to summer camp their first year. get them to summer camp, and they tend to stay a long time.

The most ironic issue here is that the ONLY award from Cub Scouting allowed on the Boy Scout uniform is the one that is usually never worn on the Cub Scout/Webelos uniform. How many of you have thought of that?

Being eligible to receive AOL in February of 4th grade is rare. So that would not be an option for most dens.

I agree with having 2 separate ceremonies, 1 for AOL, and 1 for Crossover to Boy Scouting. However, it should be up to the den (meaning the BOYS) if the ceremonies happen at entirely different Pack meetings, or at the same one.

Okay new to all this will be a WDL next year, please forgive to ask this, how it is a 1st year webelo can obtain his AOL? I qoute this from the following:

Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old)

By this you are lead to believe that they can not start earning the AOL till they are done with 4th grade. The age deal is a tough one, my son who's b-day is January won't be 10 till then would have to wait till summer? How does this happen, guess I am missing something?? can you explain thanks?

Back in the day, Webelos was only a year, and the AOL took a 1 year to earn ( ok really 9 months as most packs did nothing over the summer in my neck of the woods). So if you have an active bunch, and program over the summer, It's possible for the Cubs to get their AOL as early as December 1.

Yep as soon as they become Webelos they start working on those requirements for AOL.

I've seen 4th graders complete and receive the AOL in May, but it's usually b/c of the 10 YO requirement. My middle son will probably be joining a troop on May 30th of his 4th grade year b/c of his Nov. Birthday.

As for the AOL patch, that is true in most cases it's never worn on the CS uniform, either the blue uni option or centennial option. HOWEVER I knew of one pack that awarded the AOL Rank PINS, and those were pinned onto the uniform as part of the ceremony. It's one of the few pics I have of CS wearing the AOL.

Maybe we should put the most important award from Cubs onto the BS uniform...the BOBCAT. It would recognize the effort put into becoming a CUB and put that on the uniform for those that do not earn/receive the AOL.

Just a thought...

Our pack had 4 boys preparing to get their AOL. Two of the boys turned 11 in the spring of their 4th grade year. Had we waited until Spring of their 5th grade year to cross them over, they'd have been 12. My son was the youngest of the 4, turning 10 in April of his 4th grade year. We had to wait until at least October before he would be eligible for AOL; as it turned out, we did it in January. When I explained to the SM the ages of the older boys, he agreed they should all be crossed-over as soon as possible, and the AOL and Crossover were held at the same ceremony.

My son is extremely proud to be a Boy Scout and won't turn 11 until next month.

JM

My son will cross over well before his 11th birthday. We are attending Day camp, I am the Den Walker and Webelos Resident camp this summer. I expect him to come home with most of his activity badges earned. Plus in September we have a webelos woods event in our Council. I would think that would finish the badges. He has been camping with the BS troop, with me, for a couple of years now. I expect him to get his AOL at the B&G of his Webelos I year. He will be 10.5 at that time. I will let him chose as to whether he would like to cross over or not at that time. I imagine he will cross over, but again not my choice.

I get a kick at the troop meeting he stands up and does the law and oath with the BS's. He still has problem with the outdoor code.

We do AoL at B&G in Feb.

Crossover is seperate in Mar.

Rank advancement is done at a pack picnic in Early May.

We've historically given out rank awards at B&G or the picnic, but begining this month I'm going to start giving out rank badges as soon as they are awarded. I'm hoping it will entice parents to be more timely in recording acheivements and why make a boy who earns it in Dec wait till Feb?

I do believe that crossover in and of itself is big enough for a whole meeting. AoL is the centerpiece of my B&G.

My former Pack started holding the Arrow of Light ceremony and Crossover at the same time (Blue and Gold; end of February) for various reasons that served Troops and our Pack well. First, in our Pack, the Webelos 2 dens had pretty much completed their program by January. After a boy completed all of the Arrow of Light requirements, we encouraged them to join the Troop of their choosing immediately. Momentum is important to retaining boys in the Scouting program. When our crossover was in March, we lost boys between the Blue and Gold and the "crossover ceremony" because they were bored with Webelos and Scouting just faded out of the picture as Spring sports took hold.

Second - a lot of Pack activity dropped off after B&G. Frequently, not many younger Cub and Webelos Scouts showed up at Crossover, so they never witnessed that rite of passage. That's a lost marketing opportunity to promote continuing in Scouting. That was important to the five Troops in our community, so they didn't mind receiving Scouts from our Pack a month or two early.

Third - even though we are in a CO that has both a Pack and a Troop, it's not uncommon for Webelos to head to other Troops. We encourage shopping around - that encourages continued involvement. By the time a Scout gets to fifth grade, they have developed friendships with boys who are in other troops. Our most recent crossover featured Webelos going to three different Troops in our community - all participated in the Crossover ceremony. My Troop is participating in four different ceremonies this year.

Finally, and this is self-serving to the receiving Troop, Summer Camp MB scheduling typically takes place at the end of March and classes close out. Scouts that arrive at the end of March typically have their classes (camp experience) selected for them without their input. They have had a better camp experience when they have been around long enough to be assisted by the Troop Guides in picking a fulfilling merit badge and activity schedule.

That's our take - no one way is better than another. However, if you don't get a lot of attendance at a crossover ceremony, then that is a missed opportunity to market Boy Scouting to Cub Scouts. They also begin to make that mental connection between the AoL award and joining a Troop.

Because of the multiple Troops in our community (5) participating in six different Pack crossovers, it's wiser to let the pack own the Crossover. That's just true in our community - it may not hold in yours. We are just blessed with a ton of Units.

Good question.

For our feeder Pack, B&G is in February, AOL & Crossover are combined in April.

It's a very cool ceremony. In front of the Pack, the 2nd yr Webelos are called forward to receive their AOL patches and amid flames of candles and discussion of their time in Cubs. Each of them are then given a 4 foot piece of rope which they collectively tie together using square knots, forming a circle, standing on the outside.

Next they invite the 1st yr Webelos inside the circle. When the 1st yr Webelos are all in the circle and all holding on to a piece of rope, the AOL Cubs step away, leaving the circle to be held up by the Webelos, and line up at the bridge. The Cubmaster bids them good bye, the parents take off their neckerchiefs and shoulder loops, and they leave the Pack and cross over to the Scouts where they are welcomed as Scouts.

After they have been outfitted as Boy Scouts and a bit more ceremony has taken place, the Boy Scouts depart the room, taking the new Scouts with them, and leaving the Pack and parents behind.