Webelos - Parental Involvement

I read on another great website that a Webelos DL should ask a parent to head up earning a Webelos badge. They obviously don't attend our pack. However, I have to report that we have had several parents step up and help when asked this year.

Do other dens have parents do this?

Please share how parents help your Webelos den. This is a reality check for me.

Thanks!

We are very forunate in our den that we have awesome parents. They are always willing to step in to lend a hand in leading activities that they are knowledgeable in in regards to the pins we are working on. For example we have one parent who is a sign language interpreter. She brought one of her deaf church members to our den meeting to talk about how her life is different than the hearing. The boys were fascinated!

We had another parent build catapults with the boys, and another one who was an aeronautical engineer come and do demonstration for the boys and bring some really cool plane parts!

I say use the parents for different pins so you don't get burnt out over that 20month period!

My husband has been the WDL for two years now and will be again next year with our youngest son. I am his sometimes assistant even though he has a wonderful assistant!

It runs the spectrum in our den. I have a couple who are at almost every meeting and will do whatever is needed. They approach me and ask what we need help with. Others, I know I can call on as drivers or other small things. I don't think they would be comfortable actually leading an activity pin. Finally, there are 1 or 2 that I don't know if I would recognize walking down the street.

Webelos parents can be used for Activity Badges, similar to how merit badge counselors are used in Boy Scouts. Careers, and hobbies can be put to use for the boys.

The following Family Talent Survey is helpful in finding parents who have the skills to teach a Webelos Activity Badge -

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/FamilyTalentSurveySheet2008.pdf

For instance, a nurse/doctor/dentist/EMT would be good choices to do Readyman. A parent who is an Engineer is a natural to do Engineer, or Scientist. A parent with a hobby dealing with animals, plants, and the outdoors, would be good for Forester, Naturalist, or Outdoorsman. A parent big into woodworking might like to do Craftsman. A parent who works at a quarry might be willing to do Geologist.

parent and community involvement is a MUST in my opinion.

I had 1 parent who is an electrician - he led the engeneering pin.

I had 1 parent who was great with tools and wood working and he helped with that part of craftsman.

I had 1 parent that also had a sewing machine and she worked with me and my machine as well to lead the boys in making a bag as one of their craftsman crafts.

We used a local wildlife center for earning naturalist and forester.

we used a county park program for earning the geologist.

some of the pins were just not something I could lead and know for sure that the boys would understand, but they were pins the boys wanted to do - so I just searched out ways to get them done.

I'm WDL--and a crafty mom. I work with paper & fabric crafts. I don't make things out of wood. I don't use coping saws and hammers & such.

But I know who does, and I asked that guy to find a wood project for Craftsman.

I'm a college dropout. I don't quite understand how electricity gets to my house. "I push this button, and there is light! Magic!"

But I know who does, and I asked that guy to make simple electrical circuits for Engineer.

One of my families wants to host a bonfire. Their neighbor is a civil engineer (the bridge-building kind.) We're planning to have the neighbor run over & talk to the den about engineering.

For that matter, I asked my den chief to teach the Boy Scout requirements. He knows them far better than I do, and those younger boys listen to him in a way they would never listen to me.

I depend on my families to make up the gaps in my abilities & knowledge.

Remember, the point of Webelos is not to be a one man den leader show. The point is to be a transition into Boy Scouts. One of those transitions is using the Adult Association method more, to get them ready to deal with the whole Merit Badge Counselor idea. Your Webelos dens should be using a multitude of different venues, and people, to teach those Activity Badges.

Greaves,

Although it wasn't directly applied to BSA or Cub Scouts in particular, I once heard it said that:

"A great leader will know when to dole out responcibilities and duties to others in order the get the best results for getting the job done!"

Sounds like you are ahead of the game!

And listening to ScoutNut's reply... I'd say anybody trying to do it all by themselves would actually be detrimental to the Webelos program!