Is there such thing as Pack Executive Committee ?

WestCoastScouter, some thoughts:

You didnt say if they appointed a new CC. If so, this person is probably aligned with the new CM, but is that the case?

How does the rest (majority) of the Committee feel?

Do you get along with the new CM? Is he approachable and willing to listen to what Im assuming is the pack consensus regarding the situation? If hes introverted maybe he doesnt even want the job and would be happy if someone took it off his hands. Maybe one or both of the den dads could serve as ACM(s). The former CM of our Pack was a great and knowledgeable guy but very soft spoken and low-key and I, as ACM, usually ended up running many of the Pack Meetings (because I was loud and silly) with his blessing.

Even though the COR is not active I would at least attempt to contact him for the proverbial sit-down and cup of coffee to discuss the situation before your group decides to bolt the pack.

Another consideration is if one of these den dads does become CM is there a replacement ready for him at the den? The den is the heart of the pack and it would be a shame if the den suffered because of the move.

Id think long and hard about bolting the pack. Even if it ends up that the new CM is here to stay, if otherwise things are going well (as it sounds they are) and the new CM is cooperative, why leave?

YIS

Mike

Or, one can simply refer to the Troop Committee Guidebook or the Cub Scout Leader Book, which have a good process already spelled out.

Yah, FScouter, I wish it were the case, eh? But they really don't. In order to accommodate all da CO variation out there, the publications are far too vague on the process. They're particularly vague on da mechanisms for actually making the decision, eh? Do yeh vote, do yeh struggle for consensus, do yeh give up and send a list of 3 to da COR for him/her to choose etc. Does da committee do it, or a steering committee? The publications also don't specify any "rules of order" either.

In that environment, it's possible for anyone with an agenda to try to hijack the process, eh? Happens over and over again. Causes no end of unit conflicts and more than a few boys and families lost to da program.

WestCoast, I think you need to take a deep breath and think about things for a minute, along with da other adults. The process was poor, but a shootout over it when a man thinks he's been appointed cubmaster is only goin' to end in bodies on the floor. There's no way for it not to be seen as "personal."

So the question is whether yeh can live with it and work around it, and then put in place a better structure for next year. If there's any way to do that, I'd encourage yeh to be the adults in the room and do that. Your active DL dads can continue to do what they've been doin'. Folks can step up and volunteer to organize and run meetings for the CM. At the end of the school year, someone else can volunteer to be CC for the coming year. A few of you can sit down with da COR and establish some bylaws or procedures for how to make recommendations/select key unit leaders.

If yeh work around things and put some structure in place, you'll make positive changes for da pack, set things up for a successful year and a better transition next time, and keep it fun for everybody.

Most of da time, that's better than makin' it personal and leavin' a bunch of wreckage.

Beavah