Crossover question

I'm a bit torn about something, and would like to hear your opinions. I'm a WDL, and the den is crossing soon. I will be joining a few of them in the troop as an ASM. I have been asked if I would like to cross with the boys in the ceremony.

At first I thought, "Sure, sounds cool." But since then I've had second thoughts. The last thing I want an AOL/Crossover to be about is me. It's for the boys, they earned it and it's their big step. My question is, have any of you seen this at a crossover, and how does it look when it happens? Does it come off as a 'nice touch' kind of thing, or does it look like a grown-up trying to be noticed and taking something away from the boys?

I don't know what to give as an answer as I can see where parents might think your kinda looking for recognition, but then again, I bet half the parents don't understand alot of things about BSA.

The key thing here is this: YOU WERE ASKED! It means you didn't just egotistically come up with this idea on your own.

Ask the ask if this is normal for Cub Leaders a who become ASM's. Ask if this has been done before.And ask a few Webelos parnets what they think, and your concerns.

But most importantly, ask the WEbelos what they think> THis is about them, so give their thoughts the highest weight on the matter.

In their eyes, it might be cool to see their leader cross over too. Kinda says that they are doing the same thing an adult leader is doing... so how cool is that!

But on a 3rd point of view...all traditions started somewhere. What is to say that this might not be a tradition that is looked upon with fondness by scouts and leaders alike?

We've done it both ways. But I agree it's a little cheezy for the adults to light candles and cross over the bridge with the boys.

On the troop side of the bridge the adults stand to one side and let the youth leaders run the show. As the Webelos cross the bridge, the Boy Scouts replace their shoulder tabs, hats and neckers. The troop adults only role is to shake hands with the Webelos as they walk through.

When the adults "cross over" with the boys, the troop adults usually walk over shake hands and give them their stuff. Somewhat of an aside to the main event with the boys, but we do recognize that the adults are joining too.

We do the big focus on the boys. The adults don't light candles, but we usually have any appropriate uniformed adult leaders cross the bridge, too, as symbolic of the fact that we still need their involvement. Very similar to what Twocubdad says.

We have had the leaders cross too if they are going to be volunteering with the Troop. They cross after the boys have all gone across. Usually there is a comment that Mr/Mrs XYZ will also be joining Troop 123. They cross and are met by the Troop adult(s) with a handshake and sometimes their new tabs.

I feel it is a nice thing to acknowledge the adults also, and takes nothing away from the boys ceremony.

I've been involved with a couple of different crossovers -- one pack, the one my sons belonged to, had only Webelos physically crossing the bridge. Parents were left on the "far side" to symbolize that their Cubs were leaving them behind by joining a youth-led program. The other pack had parents cross the bridge too, since they were all leaving the pack.

I've only crossed once :-), at Woodbadge. My only comment is that I was very pleased that my new SPL and Troop Guide were there to welcome me. I realized much later that the SM wasn't part of the greeting. I thought that was a nice symbolic touch.

By the way, and I know this question wasn't asked, but I've seen two different styles of crossovers. The one I've seen most often is a combined Arrow of Light and Crossover ceremony, run by the pack with troop participation (in one case, the pack pretty much hands the script to whichever troop shows up first). In the other case, the "receiving" SM insisted that the crossover is the troop's ceremony and had nothing to do with either Blue and Gold banquets or Arrow of Light ceremonies. So I guess everyone has their own style.

Guy

In our pack we don't do combined Arrow of Light/Crossover Ceremonies. We do Crossover at the Troop Meeting so they can go directly into their first Troop Meeting as Boy Scouts. Arrow of Light is it's own special ceremony for the boys with the focus on no one but them. We do no other awards or achievements that night, it is not held at Blue and Gold or a regular pack meeting. Since the Troop and Pack meet on two seperate nights this has worked out very well and the boys get two special cermonies. One from their old pack and one from their new troop.

AOL and Crossover are really two seperate cermonies anyway most packs just combine them into one.

the pack my son was with always had the parents "cross over" as well as the boys. if you think about it cub scouts is a family deal and the parents have been involved and they are now leaving the pack to join the troop just as the boys are.

but having said that....

I think this should be a Pack/Troop thing... a tradition for them. so if they always have the leader cross over, then you should. if they have the leader cross over if they are going to be a leader for the troop, then you should. if they've never done this I'd say something about the fact that you're unsure of this and your reasons.

i have only witnessed 1 crossover.

I was still just a parent only back then, so somehow i missed the memo saying that the pack meeting was instead going to be a crosover ceremony. Once I found out what it was, I tought it was only right I stay and watch them in their time in the spotlight.

As each Cub Scout was ready to cross the bridge, the Cub Master read a "profile " , if you will of the scout and his accomplishments and wether ther was an Arrow of Light Award. The award wasn't given at this time, but already been recieved .

The scouts would cross the bridge and be greeted by the SM or ASM of the troop they already decided to join. After the scout crossed over, the parensts would then cross over after the scout did.

One cool point, there was a dance team there too. I thibnk it was an Order of the Arrow dance team, but will not swear on it. They dressed in ceremonial NA gear and gave a speach bef0ore the crossover part took place.

Scoutfish, that does sound like an OA ceremony team. Weve had them at one or two of our Crossovers, which happen at our annual Family Campout. The ceremony is done at the campfire and the participation of the OA team makes for a mystical, truly memorable event.

Irsap, if you are willing I think your participation in the Crossover would be neat. I would suggest it happen after the boys have crossed and have received their loops, etc. and have been greeted by the Troop. Then have the Cub master say something like Folks, Mr./Ms. Irsap will be joining the Troop as an ASM. Lets give him/her a big thank you (and/or Cub Scout cheer) for his/her work with our boys and wish him/her luck in his/her new duties as ASM. Then cross and be greeted by the Troop leaders. Quick and simple.

I see nothing wrong with recognizing a good leader. The boys you served will take pride in seeing their Akela recognized and it might encourage a parent who is on the fence about signing on by seeing how his or her hard work would be appreciated.

YIS

Mike

Irsap, you stated - "The last thing I want an AOL/Crossover to be about is me. It's for the boys, they earned it and it's their big step."

The boys earned the AOL. They did not "earn" crossing to Boy Scouts. That is something that can happen even without the AOL. Yes, moving to Boy Scouts is a big step for them, but it is also a big step for you.

Keep the AOL portion separate from the Crossover portion. After the boys have all received their awards, and crossed to their respective Troops, have the CM do an announcement similar to what Mike suggests. Then you can cross to be greeted by an adult leader representative from your new Troop.

I think it will be a fitting ending to the ceremony.