11 year old and recharter

No clue about this young mans story, he seems normal enough, maybe he was held back a grade.

He turns 11 in October 2010, he is currently 10 and a bear.

My question is can he remain in Cub Scouts after we recharter or does he need to move to boy scouts at age 11.

Sorry, started the last post before I saw your most recent one. I think as long as he hasn't completeted third grade, there is nothing technically wrong with him staying a cub. The problem is, at this rate, he will be a 13 year old Webelos. Maturity-wise, is he ready for Boy Scouts? What do the boy and his parents want? I would sit down with them and discuss what is best.

Basementdweller,

Unless the boy is a "special needs" scout, the boy should progress to Boy Scouts at age 11. He has "aged out" of Cub Scouting. This of course can be waved for "special needs" scouts.

My $0.02

YiS,

Rick Cormier

If you have a "number" of Bears (more than just 1) who will be turning 11, than I would hazard that it has more to do with your school system possibly changing it's cutoff dates in the past 3-4 years, than all of the Scouts being held back a grade.

Per the BSA Cub Scout Leader Book - A boy can remain a Cub Scout in a Pack for 6 months after his 11th birthday, or until he has completed 5th grade, whichever is LATER.

If the boys are fitting in well with their class, and den, mates, are having fun, and have been doing fine for the last 1-3 years, why fix what is not broke? Making these boys move to Boy Scouts as 4th graders, without any of the preparation of the Webelos program, is a sure way to get them to leave Scouting altogether.

Basementdweller,

I stand by what I said. The following is from the official BSA site:

How old (or young) can a boy be to join Cub Scouting?

Cub Scouting is for boys in the first through fifth grades, or 7 to 10 years of age. Boys who are older than 10, or who have completed the fifth grade, can no longer join Cub Scouting, but they may be eligible to join the Boy Scouting or Venturing program.

Here is the link:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/FAQS/joining.aspx

I am not sure where the "...whichever is later" came from. It may be in the book as I have not seen a new one but that would suggest a 22 year old in the fifth grade is eligable. The posting above is from the BSA site.

YiS,

Rick

I think that the information provided by ScoutNut applies to currently registered scouts remaining/rechartering in the pack, while Rick's quote applies to a new registration. Don't know if anyone can find a hard quote that clarifies this, or not.

Yah, there shouldn't be a problem re-registerin' an 11-year-old webelos, eh? So you're good for the year. The followin' year will be the time to have the conversations about whether it's best to jump or to keep workin' cubs on a special needs basis.

Beavah

ghermanno, As I posted, the quote came from the BSA Cub Scout Leader Book. It was the most current, but I believe that has been the policy for quite some number of years now.

Yes, if you have a special needs Scout, you could very well have someone who is 22, in 5th grade, and still a Cub Scout.

An 11 year old 4th grade Webelos is not all that uncommon.

There should be no problem rechartering him the next 2 years.