camping tips and tidbits

Without getting too long (I'll do 10 at a time):

1. A sponge instead of a towel all the time.

2. Every packed item should have at least two uses, or leave it.

3. Whistles for everyone. They last longer than shouts for lost scouts.

4. Leave No Trace is always, not just when specifically stated.

5. An ounce at home is a pound on the trail.

6. Over plan for food.

7. Any fire will liven spirits.

8. Take "look at this" breaks instead of rest breaks.

9. Never leave home without duct tape, compass, lighter, superglue, and knife.

10. Don't knock the weather, its raining/snowing for a purpose. Anyone can have a good time in warm, sunny weather. A real test of scout spirit.(This message has been edited by Double Eagle)

I have been told that this would be too hard for boy scouts but our ventur scouts will try a wilderness weekend. They will make their own survival kits under 2lbs. They will go to a remote area find their food strain their water and build a fire without matches. Then on the way back circle around several times off trail before starting the compass corse back to the parking area. Yes we will have radios and cell phone + GPS for emergency.

For many years I asked if the scouts could spend an overnight with their "10 list", but many said no.

In the past, our troop did a wilderness survival night. When the campsite was reached, with the fully packed trailer, the boys were told "the trailer has been destroyed and we can't go home until tomorrow". They knew in advance but not all were as ready as they thought, from what I gather. The trailer was only opened up for a true emergency (somebody's coat was in it). There were trash bags and a few other things around for the boys to use. The each had a metal cup to cook in and eat out of. There were given the ice chests with food.

Wilderness survival: Ah, a favorite topic. On one campout, we kept everyone in the immediate area and they were acting as if alone. I had a cooler that we kept meat and vegetables in and after being able to track and make traps, the traps were dismantled and I gave out a portion of the meat, like a chicken breast. It represented the animal and they had to come up with ways to cook it after lighting their own fire. Not adding to the MB requirements but to the fun. Once they found wild plants, they got vegetables. The same with tea for drinks. They had to go through the process of harvesting mint or grasses and then they would get a tea bag. Most still won't like it. Take along some aquarium pump hosing for sucking water from tight spots or on rocks. A fast-food straw works in a pinch. If you take a straw and melt the end closed, you can fill it with spices and melt the other end closed. This is easy for transport.

I remember when Wildreness Survival was something all scouts did not just Venture Crews.

But an important item is a scout stave or hiking stick Used one for years love it wont go anywhere without it.

Second Time I always take is a "space Blanket nice trick to remember to keep warm on a cold night.

Third a book on identifying edible plants. Nothing to say how important this is.

I like Double eagles list. Although I have never taken or needed the super glue or lighter. I would add;

> Use the Patrol Method for everything

> Remeber camping is just where you sleep, always have a purpose or activity don't just go to sleep somewhere other than home.

> If the adult leaders are cooking for boys, or telling patrol members what to do, then you are doing it incorrectly.

> use campfires don't just have a campfire. It's a great time to counsel, teach, test, do scoutmaster conferences and Board of Reviews.

> Try to go someplace different every month of the year

Bob White

Keep the ideas coming. I have coordinated several survival overnights and am always looking for tidbits. Like the straw idea for spices. I use new plastic lab specimen tubes for spices, waterproof and reusable. Favorite o-nite is one that scouts are allowed a 10 by 12 tarp, 50 foot of rope and their basic survival pack. Cooking is utensiless and cans are not allowed. Like the idea of simulated trapping and foraging, will work it in. These skills are ones that will hopefully not ever be needed, but they increase the confidence levels of the boys. Which is the design. Keep the ideas coming. thanks

Have you tried spit baking eggs?

The super glue is for broken glasses and stuff. Also in a pinch where you need to close a wound. Be sure you are not just sqirting it into a wound. If it will stick fingers together, it will hold flaps of skin until the emergency room can give sutures. BTW most emergency rooms carry a super-type glue for this instead of stitches.

Egg on a spit: Tried it, didn't work and made a challenge to scout spirit. Especially if you only get one egg. Most of the time the stick rotated and the egg just spun. Burned on one side or broken shells. If you are going with primitive egg cooking, you may try to carefully break the shell in half and cook the egg in the two halves, like little pots. Hardest thing is to regulate the heat.

Saw a mention of using the '10 things you don't go hiking without' as a basis for an overnight... This is an excellent way to bring home the reasoning behind a requirement rather than just expecting your boys to do something just because "its in the book"

Might also be interesting to use some sort of a serious First Aid scenario (Search and Rescue?) to determine where you'll be staying out, but would take a bit of planning.(This message has been edited by buffalo2)

I've heard of doing this with potatos and I bet it

would work quite nicely with eggs. You thickly coat

the outside with mud, then place it in your fire.

When the mud is thoroughly dry, it's ready to eat.

-RobK

I saw a troop last year do a compass course with an interesting twist. The boys were sharing compasses, the adult that laid out the course took one of the boys aside and said "when you get to the third point on the instructions, go in the opposite direction and see who follows you". About 1/2 the boys followed him, never questioning his decision, even though the sun was bright and it was obvious which way was east, west, north and south.