Space Derby, How Easy?

Ok folks I have never, repeat NEVER, done Space Derby before. So my question is How easy is it? Can building it be done in a 40 minute craft period over CSDC? What items will I deed. And since I have to create, ho much are we looking at per person for everythign involved? Speaking of which, What is involved? This is something that is not done in my neck of the woods, and when I ask around, i get deer in the headlight looks, even from long term Cub Scouters.

I did this as a cub 30 +/- years ago. I have not seen anyone do it lately either. It was a similar process to making a PWD car - start with a blank block. If I remember right, it comes in 2 halves with the inside carved out for the rubber bands. I believe they are balsa wood, so it is easier to carve. If you didn't paint them and just used markers or something to decorate them instead of paint, you could probably make and race one in 40 min. Only one way to find out - get a kit and give it a try.

It's been a while for me ... but as I recall, the glued balsa can take a while to dry. Depending on your day camp logistics and storage space, you might not want to chance having boxes of easily breakable balsa wood spaceships hanging around overnight, or being transported in someone's vehicle.

You'll need a series of fishing-line guides set up - ideally on a wooden frame that you can take apart and transport. That may be the most complicated element.

Order a LOT of extra rubber bands for breakage.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Our Pack just got done with a Space derby last weekend.

If the bodies were glued together before hand you may be able to carve, sand, glue on the fins and paint them in 40 mins.

One tip that I found off the internet that worked great is to use a potato peeler to carve the shape.

You will also need a small pair of needle nose pliers to bend the wire over the propeller.

I don't like these.

I found that my Wolf age son could do very little on his own to make one of these compared to a pinewood derby car.

Talking with other parents I found that even the WEBELOS age Cubs had difficulty making these on their own.

It's not easy to build the rockets, and the racing is time consuming and troublesome.

If you're doing a space themed camp, building rockets from 20 oz or 1 liter pop bottles and launching water rockets is _much_ easier. we've had good success with this at camps.