Cub Scouts 2010

Training will be going online so you don't need to worry about that part.

I too, have had 100% retention. I have done some advancement and electives in the den, but not all. I have left the majority to the parents.

And it's not like I was sitting around with excess time on my hands either. I work full time, have 2 children, volunteered with school, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts (at both the local and council level for both Scouting groups).

This is why I don't buy into the idea that the Fast Tracks way is the only (or best) way to increase retention.

However, there is nothing that can be done at this point. Good or bad, we are stuck with it. As I said, it should be interesting to see how this all plays out in the long run.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had many of the same experiences with a fast track approach like trainerlady.

I know the official program has been the themes, but I sense that many (like me) are quietly doing a fast track approach.

I went to roundtable last night. The cub breakout leader asked for a show of hands of how many used the theme materials from last month (works of art). In a room of about 20 not one raised their hand.

I see fast tracks as a good thing and I hope it will be implemented well. My sense is that retention is based on a good den experience, which is based on a successful den leader. Fast tracks would enable leader to come up to speed faster (especially in small packs.)

I would rather do online training for powerpoint type stuff (youth protection, tour permits, etc) and in person training for stuff like how to lead a game, sing a song, do crafts.

In the end, any Pack that would like to continue to do themes could certainly do them -- my gosh, I have 6 years of them sitting on the bookshelf.

For years I had my Cub books. Mom and Dad were deeply involved in my brothers Scouting, and my own. Lots (but not all) were signed off by them.

The advancement system between Cubs and Boys is not parallel. Never has been. Where Boy Scouts (properly) discourage MBs in Troop meetings, I've gone with EagleSons Den (in the day) to bike ride against the Bicycling sports and activity pin.

I guess I'm of two minds about this ... are we going to diminish the Families portion of Cubbing?

I am of mixed emotions on this topic. On one hand I think having the parent work with the youth is awesome and have enjoyed working with my son on his advancement. Alot of the TC stuff is stuff we already do. HOWEVER keeping up with TC handbook is challenging at times, and I am the TCDL ;)

On the flip side, I do have TCs who are either in single parent homes, or are joint custody situations where the parent changes almost weekly. Those are the ones i'm having to do all the advancement work at the meetings for, and it is a good portion of the den.

I think the best part of the new program is that it improves the program provided by the weakest den leaders. Almost every Cubmaster has had the experience of two dens in one rank, one with a great DL and one with a weak DL. It's the boys with the weaker DL that drop out of the program. By providing DLs with a consistent program and schedule (which is what our pack went to years ago on out own), you get a lot of benefits: boys advance more consistently, all den leaders know what they need to do and by when, and recruiting new leaders is easier because they don't have to work out a schedule but just present the program.

BM, to add to what you were saying...When you have more than one den of the same rank, do they do the same projects the same way?

Meaning, does one den leader talk about nature, and use a book to show various trees and plants while the other actualy engages in taking his den outside and into the woods?

My pack has 4 Tiger dens, 2 Wolf. 2 Bear, 3 WI annd 2 WII dens.

Imagine how my son would feel if his den sat inside singing Barney songs while your den of the same rank sat and talked around an honest to goodness campfire while discussing ...whatever the dens were discussing that night.

I absolutely agree...having a weak or strong leader may make all the difference, and maybe this new program might help the weakers ones get stronger!(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Having seen the video, it seems to run true to what I've observed with the most successful dens- I think this kind of formalizes what most of us that keep the boys have worked out on our own. It does make sure that the boys LEGITIMATLY receive the rank advancement, which should ensure that the values are delivered.

Heard and seen the same experience on themes at roundtable- most den leaders are not using them and most don't have 3 or 4 den meetings a month, rather 2. This makes program helps awkward to use, as well as if all dens aren't using it, the pack meeting doesn't work well.

Overall, I'm a fan, hope it looks like the fast tracks we've been using online when it is done.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm excited about this new program. While searching for scouting related forums it was this thread that caught my attention and made we want to join here which I was finally able to do after the server email problems were fixed.

However I was a little discouraged when I contacted our DE and she wasn't aware of it. She forwarded my email to some other people at the Council but I still haven't received any responses. Kind of suprised me that a brand new program is rolling out "nationally" and I haven't received a reply from anyone at my Council who has any details. The DE did point out that it sounded like Fast Tracks. That made me look up Fast Tracks which I also wasn't aware of. I was shocked to find the program online via the Council with planned meetings available. I wish I had known about this as it really would have helped some our den leaders.

My den is crossing over in March and we've essentially used this type of program on our own without knowing that it had an official name (Fast Tracks and now Cub Scouts 2010). From a high of 16 Scouts we will cross over 11 (a 12th would have also but he moved last month). Between first year Webelos and this year we lost 4 Scouts (one Pack transfer, one dropped due to too many activities, and two dropped which didn't surprise me as the boys didn't seem to have the interest). Until this past year we had only gained Scouts other than some drops between Tigers and Wolves.

I think two monthly den meetings that focus on achievements does work as long as you can still mix in some fun as well. I do know that program helps never worked for us as weekly meetings were just not practical. Heck, we've had some dens drop to only meeting once per month. Unfortunately those have been the dens who are struggling and don't feel connected to the Program. I really want to make 2 meetings a minimum for the Pack next year. I hope our Cubmaster agrees.

I was really disappointed when I saw the new program. I'm a Tiger Den leader and I'm already doing what this program is trying to do and I use the current Program Helps to add more fun. All of my Tigers will be getting rank this month at Blue and Gold and I have another boy who wants to transfer into my den from another local Pack. It's possible to make just about any requirement into a fun group game, activity, or field trip! I hope they don't stop publishing the Program Helps because that would actually give me *less* resources to help me get boys advancing while still having fun.

While BSA is puching for the Cub Scouts 2010 to be used, really there is no rule that you cannot continue your meetings as they are, there will simply be no more training or materials from the old program offered.

That said, as a Cubmaster, I am really starting to look forward to this. This is how alot of our Dens run and it will much simplify getting all the Scouts finished with their work and having a uniform program with leaders that have a program ready to go. Also, I am actually looking forward to the new "core value" themes.

Does anyone know WHEN the official CS 2010 materials and training will be available? I have been using Fast Tracks (which I found and downloaded on my own) for the past year, and I love this approach. It doesn't preclude me from adding fun stuff from old Program Helps or Baloo's Bugle, but it gives me a solid way to ensure the boys advancement with minimal planning on my part. As the new CM in our Pack, I am especially interested in getting hold of these materials quickly for two new DLs who were pressed into service and have anxiety over knowing what to do in den meetings. Of course, we will get them trained and equipped with manuals, but being able to tell them that CS 2010 is around the corner would relieve a great deal of stress.

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/CubScouts/CubScouts2010.aspx

Per BSA National, the new online Cub Scout Leader Specific training is supposed to be out sometime in March, 2010. New, and revised publications are due sometime in May, 2010.

The new program officially begins Nationally as of the 2010-2011 program year, in Sept, 2010.

BSA seldom does anything on time. Their rollouts of late have been rather haphazard. However, since the new program goes into effect in August/September, we can only hope that all materials will be available sometime before then.