Rank Requirement for Den Chief

I see the Den Chief as a more challenging responsibility, if done right. As such, I have usually seen this as a position for an older, more mature scout (rank nonwithstanding).

However, after my son crossed from Webelos to the troop, he wanted to work with the Webelos den. At first I was reluctant for the obvious reasons, but I decided to give in, and I am glad that I did. He has faithfully served the den for ten months now, and has done a stellar job. He has only missed 2 meetings--better than any of the webelos. That Webelos den meets with the 4th grade Webelos at the same time, so both dens have benefitted from his contributions, but he was officially paired with the Webelos 2 group. Now that crossover is approaching, he has expressed an interest in staying with the younger group, and I think he will. I have been as proud of his service to his den as I have been of what he has done with his patrol and troop.

There is no rank requirement per-se, but PORs are only needed for advancement once a scout reaches 1st class and above. In our troop, the older scouts get preference in terms of getting PORs, as they need them for advancement. After the positions are assigned to the older scouts, any additional PORs are be taken by newer, non-1st class scouts. We ussually do not have too many younger scouts who want positions, but we do make them available. I would also agree with Buffalo Skipper that this type of position is usually held by older scouts who are a few years separated from the cub scout program.

A DC position is an excellent way for a new Scout (at least Tenderfoot rank) to start a "leadership toolbox", especially if he took to it like you describe.

I would encourage him to extend that toolbox, instead of reusing it. Maybe he should take on the POR as Instructor, and help one of the newly minted Scouts with becoming a replacement Den Chief while he finishes his year of DC service earning the DC award.

If the DC position gets too comfortable, the other Scouts won't be likely see his accomplishments and elect him for other positions.

dg is correct and the den chief is open to all ranks. Older scouts really do not like den chief since being around little kids is "beneath them", in my experience the younger scouts usually worked harder and did the best job as DC. Heck when I was a boy scout, way back when, my scoutmaster selected me as a den chief as a tenderfoot right after I had joined the troop.

Once again, the SM is the Gatekeeper. He/she has specific charge to approve Den Chiefs before nomination to the Pack.

A DC is a fantastic recruiting support person, if he does his job well. OTOH, if he's immature and not helpful to the Den Leader and Assistants, rest assured that den will never visit your Troop!

Older Scouts (13-17) can be talked into this position! It takes talking about working with the adult leaders and being an example and guide to the younger.

BSA says a den chief"Is an older Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer."

First Class is a common requirement for many troops, but it is not a national requirement. I've seen den chief training courses where they listed the pre-req of being First Class. Some people may believe it's a national requirement, but it is not.

John

Immaturity is not so much an issue of age or rank but of attitude. Many older scouts are just as immature as many younger ones. That is why the SM is the best judge as to who would best fit the needs of the pack, as well as the desire and willingness of the candidate.

Oak, I don't know what you are quoting from but it is obviously a suggestion not a requirement. There is NO official rank requirement for a den chief. Ideally an older scout is the ideal, the reality is that most older scouts are not really interested in being a DC.

"A DC position is an excellent way for a new Scout (at least Tenderfoot rank) to start a 'leadership toolbox', especially if he took to it like you describe."

*** As long as we're looking for a minimum rank requirement for a Den Chief, where did this one come from?

BDPT00

When the Scoutmaster chooses a Den Chief with the Cubmaster, they both must take into consideration the maturity of the youth, how the youth deals with adults, deals with younger youth, and the type of dedication they have to the program. To place a youth into a position that is not meant for them, is setting them up for failure, not success. I have seen Eagle scouts who do not have the maturity level that second class scouts have, so rank shouldn't be an issue. The true issue is what the leaders feel about the youths different levels.

David

That is simply your local council's restriction to attend training.

It is a shame if you have a younger Scout who is itching to take on the job. However, BSA does have Den Chief Fast Start training online. Your young DC could take that, and also purchase a copy of the Den Chief Handbook. There is a LOT of info in the handbook.

While an older DC is preferred by many, the problem is that 1) many SM's don't like, and don't utilize the DC position at any level 2) many Troops that do utilize the position do not ASSIGN it as a POR. They ask for volunteers. Most boys, especially the older ones, will NOT take it on. It is a big commitment of time and energy. Why take on 4-5 more meeting a month when you don't have to.

I think that if we have a Scout, no matter the rank, who is enthusiastic about working with younger boys, we should encourage him.

My son loved working with the younger kids. He was a Den Chief for 7 years. He tried to get some of his peers to take it on, but none lasted very long. However, of the Scouts in "his" den, all crossed to his Troop, all stayed in the Troop, and 2 went back to the Pack as Den Chiefs to bring "their" dens through Cubs to the Troop also.