New Belt Loop Requirements Are Out !!

We actually had a scout (from my Webelos den) complete the requirements for the Video Game BL. He was the first in the Pack. Last Thursday, when he was presented this at the pack meeting, the other scouts were stunned, and though it was a joke. The Cubmaster made a warm remark that now that the cat was out of the bag, he expected a run on this one next month.

The next day, I was up at the Scout Store, and they did have all the new BLs displayed, complete with the "new" sinage over the hanger. If I recall, they were out of one, but I don't recall which.

• 1 month later...

Is there any source that states when the activities for the new belt loops and pins must have taken place?

For example, we have a parent who has just signed off that the Scout completed the requirements last spring toward one of the new belt loops. Some of the leaders are of the opinion that, in order to earn a belt loop, the requirements should be completed after the introduction of the belt loop, but we can't find any document that says so.

I know about the requirements for belt loops to count toward Webelos activity badges, but this doesn't fall under that category.

What do you all think? Is there definitive guidance on this? Are we overanalyzing it? Does it matter, as long as the Scout actually did the activity at some point?

Snow white I agree that the requirements should take place after the introduction. I will goes as far as saying they should be completed specifically for the belt loop. There is no rule stating it, just a personal thing.

But just keep in mind that it is just a belt loop and really doesn't count for much till they have to be re-earned as a webelo.

Snowwhite,

First, let me ask: Is this a Cun or Boy scout?

I have no idea about Boy Scouts, but if it's a CUB Scout, then Yes! It matters!

Last spring? Meaning last year? Wouldn't that Cub scout( assuming it's a Cub) have been of a different rank?

I'm just saying, this fiscal year's spring isn't here yet, last spring would have been from last years fiscal calendar..

So can a scout use a requirment/elective from last year on a badge that didn't exist until now, in this year?

My answer would be no because :

1) That was done last year, not this one.

2) If the badge did not exist, then at the time the requireemnt/ elective was completed, it wasn't specific to the badge in question!

Basementdweller, I tend to agree with ya about doing things specifically for the belt loops, but like you said, there's no rule... And nowhere that I can find that states that you have to complete the requirements after the belt loop came out. I talked to our CM tonight and he agrees that's how it should be, so I guess that's how we'll approach it, until we find out otherwise. As you said, it's just a belt loop and doesn't count toward anything else. We rely the parents to sign off on these; she could have just said that he did it last weekend and we would never have known the difference.

Scoutfish, we are talking about the Cub Scout Academics and Sports program, where Cubs have the opportunity to earn belt loops and pins based on a variety of topics. This is supplemental to and outside of the regular rank advancement process - Cubs can earn these at any time, and it does not have to be within a single scouting year. However, quite a few of the belt loops can count as toward various Webelos activity badges; in order to be used to fulfill the Webelos requirement, the belt loop must be earned while the scout is a Webelos. www.usscouts.org has a very good explanation of the program.

My opinion of the CS Belt loops is that it is not a big deal, except to the CSs, UNTIL webleos when they have to earn them again. Heck if the mom really wants to allshee needs to do is go thte the scout shop and but htem as no advancement report is needed, unless the SOP has changed on them since I worked national.

Now BS SKILL AWARDS from the 1970s and 80s, WERE advancement, hence restricted items and a big deal, and an advancement report needed to be filled out for them. My mom tried to replace my belt and all the SAs when I traded the entire thing for some Brit uniform items. This was after National announced they were doign away with the suckers, and by the time the SM was able to fill out the paperwork and get replacements, a couple I needed were out of stock. LUCKILY I go the collector's set national came out with a few years back ;)

Bottom line, Snow White, is that the parent is Akela in this situation so if they sign-off on the award you need to go with that.

But I would have a conversation with them about the spirit and purpose of the program. For mom or dad to sit down with a notepad and try and figure out if and when the Scout completed the requirements is useless. The purpose is to give the Scout and his family an opportunity and program to get out and do things. I always felt a side benefit of the belt loop program was to fill in the long months between rank awards. A belt loop or pin or two at most pack meetings give the Scout a sense of accomplishment and little recognition.

Eagle92, that has not changed, no advancement report is required.

Twocubdad, I agree completely about the spirit and the purpose of the program. CM plans to talk to the family.

I even have to deal with this at home some times. Hubby: "Web-son is in chess club at school. Doesn't that mean he should get the Chess belt loop?" Me: "Gee, I don't know. Did you look in the book to see what the requirements are, and talk to him to see if they actually did those things?"

I would have to talk to the parent about the BL. How can you earn something that wasn't even around. Just like I tell my Cubs parents that I cannot give the boy credit for a BL that he earned before he joined. (EX: My boy played baseball last year, before he signed up for CS, can he get the BL. I tell them no.)

But I would not argue with them, they may be just looking for some bling.

• 1 month later...

I have had some of the same issues with Mom signing off on a belt loop because Jr is on the chess team or took swimming lessons two yrs ago. the best one was when one parent wanted thier son to get the bicycling loop, in December? I like the fact that the BSA finally put the belt loop requiremnts online.