New Belt Loop Requirements Are Out !!

The new loops and pins should be in Scout Shops. If yours does not have them yet, they should be on their way soon, or you can order them from ScoutStuff.

The new Academic and Sports program guide (with the new requirements) should be in your local Scout Shop by the beginning of January.

But - STOP THE PRESSES - BSA has finally done something smart for the Cub side of their National Site. They have listed all loops AND their requirements. This is similar to what they have done for Boy Scout merit badges for a few years now.

So, no need to wait until January for the official requirements for the new loops/pins. You can find them (and all of the others) here, now -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/awards/adults/sanda.aspx

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Yes they are out at most stores. But all National stores will be closed from the end of business 12/23/09 to 1/2/10, annual inventory process. Most stores have had higher concerns than to shelve them. Even though inventory is scheduled for a week, it's more of a month long intense process.

Happy Holidays All. Remember your national scout shop employees, as we start the process on 12/26/09 at 8:00 AM :(

My local shop (not a National shop, I believe it is owned by a neighboring council) has told us that none of this will be available until sometime in January.

Our Scouts have plenty of other things to work on right now, so I'm not sweating it. But there are always a few parents who want Billy to get everything new that they hear about right away.

Has anyone heard any rumblings about changes to the Webelos program to include the new belt loops in activity badge requirements?

Trainer,

Good luck with inventory, I remember those the long days. We would start the day after Thanksgiving, sealing off the stockroom areas as we did the inventory. That did help somewhat, but it was still a bear of a job.

I think that the posting of the requirements on the national website is a great thing. Especially since I had just gone out and bought the A&S requirements two years ago.

THere are some new things that they are providing and some new areas.

There are some things that they must look at. There is contradicting information. They say that in the Horseback riding BL that Tiger parents must be present in all of the activities, suggesting that tigers can earn that BL. I know that it is the generic opening line for all of the BL's.

But if you look in the G2SS it says that TIgers are not allowed to do horseback riding.

I know that this is probably just on oversight, but wanted to make all parents and leaders involved aware. I would hate for something to come back on an innocent activity.

But like I said, the list is great and will make everything very helpful.

"So, no need to wait until January for the official requirements for the new loops/pins. You can find them (and all of the others) here, now -"

Make sure to note the email address at the bottom of the page. National is asking for feedback regarding the program. If you are not pleased with the new video game belt loop (or anything else for that matter), now's the chance to express your thoughts.

HOLY QUACAMOLE NO HORSEBACK RIDING FOR TCs?!?!?! That must have been changed since belt loops are available for TCs sicne the are part of the CS program now.

Also it would put a damper on the council's Regional Jamboree and Fam camp in april.

Yes, Tiger Cubs can still earn Belt Loops. They just can not earn the Horseback Riding one.

From the Guide to Safe Scouting - Horsemanship Activities -

"Horseback riding activities are limited to Wolf Cub Scouts and older members."

Now Eagle, you know I would not make that statement. I simply said that the Horseback riding would be limited. They can still earn ALL other belt loops. Just they put a blanket statment at the top. I think that a simple extension of the bar on the G2SS would fix this issue.

As for the council event. Not my planning. I just plan on attending.

I actually posted a question on SC and hope to get someone form national to answer.

Scout,

As someone on that site posted, TCs can still earn the BL and Pin, just not at a Scout function. But their parents can sign them off of it. But it does boggles the mind, doesn't it.

Sctdad,

You know you WILL be joining the Darkside in APRIL ;)

Eagle - thanks fr the good wishes. Wegot 8 of 26 back sections done today. Not looking forward to the rest of it.

As stated G2SS only applies to Scout events/activities. If parents have their kids in riding lessons or activities that aren't age appropriate for TCs per G2SS then they can sign off on the requirements. That said no horseback riding go see its for all you TC leaders. Wait until the day after crossover to Wolf and then go :) That one day will make a world of difference in the kids safety.

Nothing bugs me more about the G2SS and other subjective guidelines in scouting than thinking age or size equals increased safety. A rural TC may be safer than an urban BS on a horse because he's been around them his entire life. But beacuase he's 6 or short he can't ride at a scout event.

Yes it's bit of sour grapes here. My short son has been denied horseback riding at our local scout camp with his friends, but he shows at the 4-H fair. The mentality at camp is the bigger you are the safer you are. Bigger is better.

With that mentality no cubs will ever earn the horseback riding BL and pin at our council camp.

trainerlady

you know I never thought about it that way. I forgot that the boys could earn it on their own. DUH where was my head.

So I guess that the TC's would just have to do that on thier own or wait until they are a Wolf if they want to do it at a Scouting event.