being stepped over

Our town does an annual "parade of lights" to start the christmas season off. Well our secretary wanted to be in it and we all agreed to do it(Im the CC)I was asked to fill out the application, which I did. I was told I would receive all the information that following weekend it never came...I called the parks department and they told me I should have recieved it already, and gave me the information on the phone. The day of the parade our secretary had the letter!?! Well we ended up winning 4th place and 25 dollars! My husband called the parks department today to ask them a question and about why we didnt get the letter but she did...the lady told my husband that a lady called and had it changed to her address, and told him the address, and said it was ok by me!?!?! So the lady apoligized and said she would leave a note saying that everything must be mailed to me. So when I called the secretary and asked why she did that she said that since we did the float at her house it would only be appropriate for everything to go to her house. I would've been fine with the letter being sent to her house if she would have told me in the first place she wanted it sent there, but to call and lie to get things changed her way wihout telling me??? I am so angry!! This person keeps doing things like this to me and my husband(CM). I feel like stepping down because I feel like she doesnt think I can do this job I volunteered for, any ideas how I can handle this without stepping down?

Obviously fill in the COR and UC that you are having this problem and whether you want to give the secretary a chance to get in line with how the pack will be run or whether you would like to find a new secretary. Either everyone can come together amicably and reiterate who does what and what the proper mailing address is for all pack business, or you can tell the secretary that you, the CM, and the COR have dicussed her failure to work with you honestly and that her services as the secretary are no longer necessary as you have asked Suzy Q to take over that position. (Make sure Suzy Q has agreed in advance.)

Now, who's trained as committee member? With the new year coming up, you have an excellent oppurtunity to have a committee meeting with the one and only item of business being training everyone.

Take a deep breath.....hold it......hold it......let it out.

Did the boys have fun?

Did you have fun?

Do you think the Pack may do it next year?

Pizza Party with the winnings......sounds like a plan to me.

Scouting is fantastic and a fun thing till you add adults. Remember it is about and for the boys. You should feel lucky you have help. Packs and troops are killed by adult turf wars. Relax and enjoy your son and his accomplishments.

I think Ms Secretary forgot (or never learned) her manners. One does not side step a co-worker, one should always include others and plan together.

As the CC, you will set the tone for the way the rest of the Pack leadership operates. If all things are done "out in the open", Ms secretary will have no complaint about being left out. If she continues to assume more than her share of responsibility, then, as Nike has counseled, you need to bring in the COR and the UC . But we must ask, has everyone involved gone to Cub Leader training as appropriate? The UC can cue you in as to the schedule and availability. He/she can suggest strongly to Ms Secretary that she would benefit from such training ( and that training is what you can point to when she asks 'who gave you the right...', assuming all the other Cub leaders are properly trained). And the coffee and donuts are included.

Step lightly, but stand your ground. Use her talents and make sure she knows you do appreciate her efforts. But if she insists on being less than a team player, do what you must for the sake of the Pack.

From your other posts your Pack's adults have some major problems with playing nice with each other.

Two things to do as soon as possible -

Get your self completely trained for your position of CC, and make sure that every other registered adult gets completely trained for their positions as well.

Contact your Charter Organization Representative (COR) IMMEDIATELY. Talk to him/her about all of the drama, backstabbing, and various other issues that are harming the Charter Organzations Pack. Together, come up with a plan of action to address, and correct, these issues, which will be backed up completely by both the CO and the CO. If necessary, include in the plan the need for replacements for various positions.

Good Luck.

I see this differently and wouldn't have a big problem with this as it has been described. Actually, I see the 'secretary' as THE person to receive correspondence in order to save the SM from having to handle all of it (we're part of a team, right?). That's the way my office works for the most part. If correspondence is addressed to me, it comes to the office, and the secretary then hands it to me if it's mine. If it's generic the secretary opens it and then sends it to the correct recipient. The secretary also does a lot of phone calls in a similar manner.

As a person who really enjoys being able to delegate responsibility, I'd be pleased for the secretary to handle things like this, thus freeing me to enjoy interacting with the cubs. It's a much greater burden NOT to be able to depend on others to take these responsibilities.

I'd say view this as the blessing it is...

1) You have a pack secretary... most packs don't have one

2) She actually followed through on the event without you having to hand-hold her the entire way

3) You have someone you know can get things done without much supervision.

You might just want to have a quick talk with her and let her know you were confussed because you thought the correspondence was set-up to come to your house and that you would have liked to have known about the change of plans. THEN THANK HER for taking the ball and running with it.

Volunteers like her are hard to come by... don't chase her away because the adults want to get in a contest about who is or is not in charge of an event.

As a CM going on my 3rd year, I'm so happy when I have a person I know I can hand off an event to and not have to worry about it getting done.

I remember one main thing from my CM training, this old grizzled SM told my group, "As CM and CC, your job is to make it fun for the kids and be a duck to the adults. That means run the program so the scouts have fun and learn the lessons along the way. As for other adults, you will step on some toes and get yours stepped on from time to time. Be a duck. Let it roll off your back, continue to run a good program and move on with life. Use those that volunteer to the fullest extent, good volunteers are too few and far between to allow a misunderstanding to drive someone away."

I've even repeated the phrase "be a duck" to myself or other leaders.

cryskiel - Tangentially, I would also concur with comments in another thread and strongly encourage you or your husband to give up one of the two jobs. Even though you've got a small pack, a married CM and CC is not a good combination, IMHO. It can lead to even more drama despite the best of intentions.

I can see both sides of the fence on this. As a CM myself, I would give my right arm to have a secretary who does things without having to be told and prodded to do them. On the other hand, communication is key and if she purposefully lied, than that IS an issue.

Looking at it from outside of the unit, I can see where this "may" have been her job anyway. The committee's job (from what I know and have been told) is to plan a quality pack program. You've done that by concieving the idea of having the boys in the event. As far as the logistics of getting them there (i.e. permits, transportation arrangements, scheduling, etc) I would leave that to the secretary.

What may help your Pack is a written code outlining areas of responsiblities for each position. It will help out with misunderstandings in the future.

I would (at this point) let it ride unless dishonesty presents itself again. Then you may want to speak with her directly.

Have a great day!