Webelos question

Hi all!

I just have a quick question: In the Webelos badge reqs. it states the boy must be active for at least three months. How active is active? No missed den meetings? No missed pack meetings? Maybe one miss??? We have had the H1N1 run through our town (who hasn't?) and so one whole Pack meeting in Oct. was cancelled. And several boys have missed den meetings because of sickness (and hockey season).

Is there a specific rule or definition of "Active" ??

Thanks for the help!

The motto for Cub Scouts is "do your best." In keeping with this, there isn't a strict definition of "active" that I'm aware of. Be reasonable about it. A boy who missed a meeting because he was sick should probably not have to worry about that. On the other hand, a boy who goes missing for an entire 3 month period, doesn't attend anything at all even when things don't conflict with sports, well - is he active in your eyes as the den leader? Was he doing his best to make the pack go? That's ultimately going to be your judgment call, and as long as you are reasonable I doubt anybody will give you too much grief.

I don't recall a definition of active for Cub Scouts, but I would guess it's the same definition used for Boy Scouts: being registered with a unit.

One would think. However, the Webelos Handbook itself defines it as "Active means having good attendance, paying your den dues, and working on den projects." This is arguably a more onerous requirement than the Boy Scout definition. "Good attendance" isn't further defined, but in the context of the Cub principle of "Do your best," I would be inclined to consider absences due to the flu excused.