OK EL Prove it.

Elyrialeader's quote for accuracy and truth

"Hmmm....has anyone in your pack completed BALOO training? didn't anyone know that cubs don't tent camp below 40 deg. F? Anyone know how to watch the weather for the forecasted temperatures?"

I am Baloo Trained and have now participated as an instructor. I call another scouting urban legend and ask ElyriaLeader to prove his Statement. Please provide a link to a source either directly at Scouting.org or your council's web site.

I look forward to your response and if I am incorrect and their is documentation I apologize.

Trying to help straighten out misinformed scouters one at a time

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COME OUT....COME OUT, WHEREVER YOU ARE!

LOL! Sorry, just in one of those moods tonight.

But I'll tell yah, being new to this, and finding out this is a great place to learn, I'd like to see the final word on this.

The first weekend I ever slept with my son in a tent, it dropped to 39 degrees . It was a test run for him before the family pack campout. Even got us some real nice and comfy 20 degree sleeping bags which turned out to be toasters the following weekend at the campout when temps were a low of 74 degrees at night!

He slept okay, but I peeled back the bag, then tossed the bag and ended up sliding all over the air mattress like a kid trying to stay on a raft in a swimming pool!

I certainly feel better about the chilly night I spent camping with the W1 den last December. I guess my next question would be why a council would have such a rule. Meaning I can see setting a temp limit for Cubs, but 40 degrees? Here in Fl we would have plenty of available camping time on the calendar, but New Englanders would have to put the tents away in August.

For those of you who want the answer, you'll be waiting awhile to find a quote. It is not prohibited anywhere, as Basementdweller correctly observes.

The closest thing I know of is that the G2SS states that "winter camping" is not age-appropriate for Cubs. But we regularly take our pack camping in the early spring and late fall and the temperature is often below freezing. We even have a pack award for it. It usually warms up pretty quickly during the day. Heck, we even camp in the "winter", but around here, it's not what I really think of as winter. It can be 80 degrees in December.

But you should always apply some judgement. Taking experienced second-year Webelos Scouts camping in the snow might be one thing, while taking a new Tiger family could be disastrous.

I'm not EL.

Winter Camping is outside Age Appropriate Activities for any Cub Scout...

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/ageguides.pdf

That said, nothing I know of anywhere about 40F as a definition of Winter Camping. Even in Southern California, 40F was autumnal to mid-spring...

Now, for a lot of families unsused to camping, I might be reticient to schedule a family campout with overnight lows at 40F, because of the families' gear, but there is not a floor prohibition...

Yep Winter camping is prohibited, but as has been shown there's no definition for winter camping. For somwone down in FL 40 degrees may be considered too cold,but up North in Maine or Alaska, 40 is a nice Spring Day.

I think the key here is common sense. If your families don't have the gear to do the camping , don't do it.

It's been a long time since I was involved with BALOO Training.

I'm sure the 40 deg thingy wasn't there.

But our Council Camping Committee has said that Cub Scouts camping from October till May is not allowed.

To prevent packs from camping during this time Tour Permits are not supposed to be issued.

Packs are also supposed to camp at sites from a list that has been approved by the committee.

I'm not sure if this Tour permit thing works or not?

But then again maybe I just don't want to know?

Might be better that way!

Ea.

(Wearing my Moderator Hat!

While it might be OK to question what another Forum Member has posted.

Calling them out by name in the title of a thread?? Might by some be seen as not really being that kind.

Just a thought!)(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Glad i'm not in your council E. October is when we have the CS family camps, and April is scheduled for our biggest event.

Also can those CS packs do Indoor "camping" i.e USS KIDD, USS ALABAMA, overniters at the museum, etc.

UH-OH! Not another one of those "definant maybe" things from National is it?

I think itb is definantly a common sense thing: In Key West, Fla, isn't anything below 60 degrees extreme winter weather?

Like wise , if you live in Mich or are one of the scouts from Maine, I bet it's not considered winter untuil the snow has been on the ground for at least a month AND the temps drop below -25 degrees. Anything less might just be considered a "chilly " night.

I'd like to think it was a rule more to make each pack stop and think about what their particular cubs might be able to handle , because as adults, we tend to forget about the limitations that the kids have that we do not.

But that's just my guess.

Eamon......it wasn't necessarily meant to be kind

"Hmmm....has anyone in your pack completed BALOO training? didn't anyone know that cubs don't tent camp below 40 deg. F? Anyone know how to watch the weather for the forecasted temperatures?"

How should a person take a post like that? I know turn the other cheek, nahhhhh

Just trying to give him pause to think before he posts next time.

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Wasn't sure if I should of found this thread humorous or not

Reading the G2SS I often wonder why they have the things in there they do.

John KC makes a good point, I think at the cub level most people buy the low priced gear and the ratings may not be accurate.

G2ss gotta love it.

I love the this taken from GSS "Avoid large sheath knives. They are heavy and awkward to carry, and unnecessary for most camp chores except for cleaning fish." What the heck does it mean exactly??????

Why not....sheath knives are prohibited. They are heavy and awkward to carry, and unnecessary for most camp chores except for cleaning fish.

Clean concise and to the point. Not much room for interpretation.