graduation month?

There is nothing unfair about limiting participation based on skills/experience. But, why refuse to accept new Scouts because of that?

I doubt any incoming new Scout, or their family, would have a problem with not doing an activity they were unprepared for. It simply has to be made clear up front.

I am sure that your Troop does other things besides those two winter camping trips. Or do you concentrate every weekly Troop meeting for 6 months on just those campouts?

New Scouts could be learning about Boy Scouts, learning about your Troop, getting to know, and be comfortable with, the other Scouts, and working on their T-2-1 skills. There are a lot of things new Scouts could be doing between October and April besides winter camping.

My Son and I were invited along to do the snow camping trip with the troop associated with our pack in January. the SM told me I could bring my pop up trailer but my son has to sleep in a tent. ha ha. I wouldn't do that.

ScoutNut, I understand hat you're saying, and I guess the culture of the Troop has always been a spring crossover, which works well for us. My concern over bring new Scouts in during the winter stems from past experience with a disappointed new Scout who was not able to go on a camping trip that everyone else was excitedly preparing for.