Our troop was having a scout trivia game, when the questions was asked: "Who brought Scouting to the US?" My son was so excited - he was the only who recalled that it was Seaton. When he was called upon to give the answer, he shouted it out he was so excited. Unfortunately, what with having a Southern accent, everyone thought he yelled "SATAN!"

:)

Very cute story rlculver415, and I would hate to cost your son any points but the correct answer would have been W.D.Boyce. He was the gentleman who met the scout in London and bought the rights to publish the handbook from BP. Seton was a nationally recognized nature artist and author who had a nother youth group that eventually merged with lone scouts and a third group to form modern scouting.

Bob White

I once had a six year stretch as a SM when it rained or snowed on every campout but 3. We even got hit by Hurricane Bob at the National Jamboree.

Anyway, one night the older scouts took the new scout patrol night-fishing. After awhile I walked up behind them, hidden by a hedge row, so that I could see how they were interacting without interupting.

The SPL was drawing pictures of the constellations in the sand descibing to a scout how to find the North Star. The new scout looked up and said "I don't see the Big Dipper". The SPL responded very matter of factly saying.."Oh you won't actually see any stars on our campouts unless we can get Mr. White to stay at home".

Nice to have a reputation!?

Bob White

Well, first you have to know a little background. Due to a birth defect my son has to cathetrize a stoma every 3-4 hours to drain urine from a surgically constructed bladder and has to sleep with a urinary drainage bag.

We were on a cabin campout last winter. The boys were in the two upstiars rooms, the older boys in one (where my son was) and the younger in another. The adults were all downstairs. Well, as it often happens the younger boys were being very rambunctious and noisy and wouldnt settle down. The older boys kept telling the younger ones to be quiet. Well, eventually my son has had enought, he walks over the youner boy side, and flips on the light. There he is, with his catheter bag 1/2 filled raised to eye level and he says "Hey, you guys be quiet, this thing is loaded and I am not afraid to use it.

The place went totally silent and stayed that way till morning, then he told me what happened and I laughed for 10 minutes.

I experienced a similar incident several years ago. One of the other adults at summer camp was an olympic class snorer. The first night in camp one of the kids woke up screaming there was a bear in the camp. Sorry--it's only Mr. S.

OGE,

Some people have a natural ability to conquer their circumstances and emerge victorious. Your son seems to be one of them.

Or as someone once said, "When life gives you lemons, make lemon aid." Although, for this particular story, that analogy sounds a little bizzare. ;)

I'll share one from long ago........

Summer Camp 1981, Camp Rainey Mtn Ga.

A new Scout thinks it's kinda funny to drop various rocks, sticks, etc. into the pit of the "two-seat reading room" just to see how long it takes them to fall and hit bottom. Kids are curious, and the pit is deep......

Anyway, he sets his flashlight down to drop a huge rock into the pit on the RH side - and promptly knocks his flashlight into the hole on the LH side.

We all had a "lighted target" for a couple of days - and I've been a dedicated user of Duracell batteries ever since!!!

The last time I saw a two seater was in the early 70's at my grandfathers cabin. We spent all a one day (it felt like) digging a new hole for it. Do they still allow you to have out houses that are not sucked out, or did the Sewer Sucking Service suck up the flashlight.

jc

Camping with two seaters... had scouts that thouht removing the t-paper from the reading room was a great fun thing to do. That is until they tried the joke on the leaders. We locked the paper up with keys given to me... when they (the jokers) came to get keys a handed them a bucket of corn cobs, didn't have any trouble after that. Lefthanded smoke shifters and shorelines are good too. As a young scout I went on several snipe hunts (before I figured it out)...never did catch one.

• 2 weeks later...

One day recently I was wandering around the house trying to figure out what I was going to wear to work. My son looked at me and said "why don't you wear your Scout uniform?" I told him I thought I would get some really weird looks if I wore that to the office. With a straight face, he said "Yes, but think of all the new people you would meet."

Of course he had some really good excuse why he couldn't wear his complete Scout uniform to school that day.

"Yes, but think of all the new people you would meet."

I know many Scouters that seem as embarrassed as the boy by their uniforms. As soon as a meeting is over, they shed the shirt. I, on the other hand, wear mine with pride.

One day, I was going home from a meeting and stopped at the supermarket to get some stuff. A lady stopped me as I walked down the aisle and said, "I want to thank you for all the wonderful things that you do for the boys." She sounded choked up and hurried off before I could get her story.

The actor, William H. Masey (sp?) was a Scouter and related a story on the Tonight Show (if memory serves). As I recall the story, he was headed home from a scout function in full uniform and had to visit an ATM in a "not so good" section of the city (my faulty memory says that it was because he needed cash to pay a tow truck). As Masey is standing at the ATM, a fearsome looking black man and glowers at Masey. Of course Masey thinks the worst until the man sticks out his left hand and says, "I'm Bill Brown, Scoutmaster of Troop 567"