added requirement-- den chief

Recently our TC passed a requirement for scouts who had not reached their Life rank by the first of the year or so (forget the exact date) for advancement. Den Chief training and JLT is now required for advancement. I expressed some trepidation in the adoption in that I do not think a TC can add requirements to what BSA hs established. Looking for input.

Red feather

You are correct no person or unit can add to or subtract from the requirements found in any youth Handbook. Regardless of how well intentioned it may be. You need to notify the troop committee (TC?) to withdraw this requirement immediately. The documentation can be found in the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual.

If they refuse, you owe it to the scouts to inform the district advancement committee and the district commissioner.

Thanks for sticking to the program.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

While nobody can add to or subtract from rank requirements units have leeway in establishing criteria for leadership positions. If the committee wants to make training a prerequisite for serving in an elected leadership position, the committee can do that. Of course this really should come from the boys.

Ditto Bob White

Sounds like the committee is trying to become a legislative body which it is not. The PLC should be the only voting body in the troop and the TC should be a support group and help the scout and scouters understand policies of BSA and the sponsoring organization. Has the committee had training?

Doug

Don't know what level of training all of the CMs have. But most are trained to some extent, some are volunteer adults wanting to help in some way. The troop is going through a philosphy change since the old guard is stepping back (most of us no longer have boys active) and the new guard is coming in and learning what makes a good troop. Still some of what is going on makes me nervous, but whats going on may be 'right' for the younger scouts and their parents. Time will tell.

I understand about a changing of the guard and allowing the new leaders to put their own stamp on the troop. But they have to accomplish this in the context of the policies and procedures of BSA. And the P&P of BSA says you cant add or subtract from the requirements.

I think you dont want to make waves as you ease out, but I dont think you can ignore blatant violations of policy either.

Making waves??? ME???? In a heartbeat!! But I do want to see where the new guard is going. The boys is the troop call me the enforcer since I am the 'hard core' scouter. Not true, but I fill the role in the troop that needs to be filled. recently (last few days) some of the new leaders found out that their vision of how scouting should run is not how it happens. Hope? One of our older scouts told me recently that the troop is going 'soft' and not learning skills that he had learned. Plan to stay around and stir the pot as I can.

YIS

As much as I like to encourage trained Den Chief and JLT, this is not the way to do it. I have run across this kind of complait more often than I care to think about. Getting more boy leaders trained is always an important goal and I think one measure of an effective troop.

But having served on staff for both my council's JLTC and Den Chief training, I can only say the last thing I want is a boy that has been "forced" into my course. It is not fair to the boy, to the staff and to the participants.

I love it when a board of review finds a way to rekindle the fire in a boy's heart. A scoutmaster could also encourage more training as part of a scoutmaster conference. In both cases, they can not require but only encourage not require. I have seen a number of boys that have become discouraged by these kinds of added requirements.

firstpusk (sp) recently I sat on a star BOR and at the end the scout asked if I would teach him and some of his friends to cook some of the items I cook. Wow. Looks like I won't be able to ease out of o-nites. Gearing up again, new generation and all.