When is it too much?

You misinterpret my point. We GIVE the boys so many patches and awards that they have become meaningless.

My son has two brag vests full of patches. One is in his memory chest. He enjoys looking at them, but he does not have a single sleep in a tent patch or cooking for self patch. His vest is filled with marksman patches, resident and day camp patches, district and council event patches, trail hike patches and his pride and joy his 2 100 mile hike patches.

I routinely approach the cubs in our pack and ask them what the patches mean or how they earned them. An amazingly small number know exactly what the patch is for or what they did to earn it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eghiglie,

You are an outdoor nut! Imagine actually sleeping in a dry tent in the rain.

I was the BALOO guy for our pack. Every single year on the family campout, it rained...hard...all day.

I just left the pack due to a new job out of state, but I'm certain the next campout with be bright and sunny. I may come home for the weekend and show up just to bring rain.

BTW, the rest of the parents need to get a clue about what scouting is all about. Bad weather just adds to the adventure.