Check out "The Patch Place". They usually have a patch for any occasion. I used them a lot in my Den Leader/Cubmaster days. Or try "Oriental Trading". They have knickknacks for any season and would probably have little stuffed snowmen. Or come up with your own award. Since it was freezing weather you could take them out for ice cream or slushies or slurpies or snow cones.

Other than location....was there a big need to take Cubbies camping in "freezing weather"? I cover BALOO training for our council so I hav'ta ask. Or is it a "little frost on tent" in the morning weather? A cabin is reasonable for cold-weather camping.

Only reason I ask, is Cubs don't get the cold-weather skills like Boy Scouts do (leaders too). Don't want the Cub's to have a bad experience before they really get to learn about cold-weather camping.

Our council has a Cub day-event in Feb. where they do snow activities...but are not expected to tent-camp in it.

If you are up North, then if that's the temp-zone when you camp, then that's probably normal.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Choices:**Go to your local ( I know that is a relative term) Scout Shop, and see what they have on the shelf.

**Check out Scoutstuff.org and see their catalogue.

** Visit any number of private patch companies and have your own made.

**Our Troop went on a canoe trip that did not end up meeting the original travel plans (don't ask). We went to the Scout Shop, bought sufficient leather Scout Fler-de-lis. Turn 'em upside down, cut off two ears & a point, a little pen work, and we had a canoe with a paddle in the back. Write the data on it, punch ahole for a hanger, presto, a unique souvenir.

A lot of units have local "Polar Bear" awards or something similar. But it is absolutely a local unit thing. There is no national standard of what consititues cold weather camping. Around here it's anything below freezing. A year ago or so there was an article in Boys' Life or Scouting about a troop in Alaska in which the boys had to get X-nights camping at -20 and Y-nights at -40 to earn the patch, or something insane like that.

Most of the big patch vendors (I like Advantage Emblem www.advantageemblem.com )

will have a stock patch for something like this which you can customize.

There are three awards that come to mind, and they are all unofficial.

1) Zero-Hero - But that implies the temps dropped below zero.

2) Polar Bear - addaptable to any situation where the temps dropped below freezing

3) Red Flannel Club - More of an antiquated patch. I received it when I was in Boy Scouts for having camped 12 months in a row. Most boys are unaware of what a Red Flannel is. For us it was the red union-suit, the one piece red wool underwear with the drop-door seat in it. Most boys today wouldn't understand its significance.

Otherwise, with the patch companies out there, just make one up on your own and announce its significance when presented.

It doesn't have to be a patch either. The right pocket and flap can be used for ribbons, lanyards, etc. that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Stosh