Tiger Track Immediate Recognition Question

Ok need help finding the reference. I know I read somewhere that as soon as a TC knows the motto, sign, and salute they should get their Tiger Track Immediate recognition, but I am having several leaders and my fellow trainer at training today that they get the Tiger track and their Bobcat at the same time.

I know that there has been lots of changes with TC to an old fogey like me, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

You are correct, Tigers get their Immediate Recognition Badge when they learn those three things. They CANNOT earn Bobcat at the same time because the requirements for the Bobcat badge is different. They also need to know the handshake, promise, Law of the Pack, Webelos meaning, and the adult/family safety do-jobbie.

I think that your problem is in your terminology.

When a Tiger learns the Cub Scout Motto, Sign, and Salute, he has earned his Tiger TOTEM. The Totem is the paw shaped immediate recognition emblem for Tigers, and is worn on his right uniform pocket. This is where his white (family), orange (den), and black (go-see-it), Tiger achievement beads go.

After a Tiger has earned his Tiger rank badge, he is be awarded the square, yellow, Tiger TRACK beads for completed Tiger electives. A Tiger receives one Tiger Track bead for every 10 electives he has completed.

The Tiger TRACK beads also go on the Tiger TOTEM.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

I just explained this to a tiger parent the other day. Borrow a tiger book and flip to the back. I'm thinking it was a page or 2 after the 5th section of achievements. I can't find my son's old one right now, but there is a page in the back that has the 3 things you need to do to earn the tiger totem (the white paw print to hang the beads on). Tigers earn the bobcat first, than the totem, then white, black and orange beads, tiger badge and then the yellow beads

Whoops, must be getting old and blind. I completely blew over the Bobcat part.

Tigers are allowed to receive their Totem before they receive their Bobcat badge. They earn their Totem by completing 3 (real easy) parts of the Bobcat. It gets them started off and enthusiastic about their first year as a Scout.

It should be explained in the front, Parent section, of the Tiger Handbook.

Sitting here with DS's Tiger book (don't ask why it was sitting next to my computer). On page 161, the Trail to Advancement starts. The very first page is "Tiger Cub Immediate Recognition". When the kids can do these three things, they get the paw thingy. Page 162 is the Bobcat Trail. To me, that says it all.

One interesting thing is that the paw thingy is suppose to be given at a Pack meeting. Honestly, most of the Tigers I've run into are so excited about Scouts that they push to get Bobcat by their first Pack meeting. Which would mean that the Scout would be receiving the paw thingy and their Bobcat at the same meeting. Our Pack decided to change this up and gave out our paw thingies the first meeting a boy can do his three things.

Here is a related question for all of you.

The Tiger book says that the Tiger badge cannot be earned until the Bobcat badge is earned. I couldn't find anywhere that it stated whether or not black/white/orange beads can be earned prior to the Bobcat badge. Our Tiger den leader was told at new leader training that the beads cannot be given out until they earn Bobcat. Has anyone ever seen this in writing?

(Not really a big deal, just curious.)

Scoutnut,

The current term for the paw is Tiger Track, I know I know they keep changing the terms on us, but that is straight from the training literature. I also prefer it when it was worn on the belt and made out of leather. BUT with TCs being fully incorporated into CS now, things do change, and mostly for the better in reference to CS.

Snow

In reference to Bobcat being first, I know my 1950s Den Mothers handbook states that the Bobcat is the frist badge earned as it it the besic requirement for being a CS.

The reason why I ask is that once upon a time,when TCs didn't earn Bobcat and they had their own promise, you got the Totem/Paw/Track as soon as you did the 3 things. But now that they are fully integrated into the pack EVERYONE is saying that they need to wait until Bobcat, including my co trainer. We got thhings handled for this bunch of TCs, we will be workign on teh Bobcat badge for our DISCOVER, so that they can get the PAw "after earning their BoBcat, they just have to wait ot the next pack meetingor the bobcate badge. LONG CEREMONY with 30+ bobcats

There is a difference between earned and awarded/recognized.

The boys can earn beads but they should not be awarded till the totem is earned and awarded.

the same is true for arrow points for the wolf and bear ranks. They can earn them but they are not awarded till rank is earned and awarded.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

I was wrong in my other post in the order of what tigers earn. We have done it wrong this year and last, I'll have to make sure we do it right next year. On the Bobcat page at the back of the tiger book it says "AFTER you have earned your tiger cub badge, you can work on your bobcat badge requirements. You must earn your bobcat badge before you can work on your wolf badge." So if I read that correctly the order for tiger is Tiger totem (paw thing) awarded at at pack meeting, the beads (orange, white, black) awarded at den meetings, Tiger cub badge awarded at pack meeting, the yellow beads awarded at pack meeting, and finally the bobcat badge awarded at the pack meeting. We have always had the boys do bobcat first, but after reading the book, they should not earn bobcat until after their tiger badge. Most boys would not even earn it until spring right before crossover.

Your book's old. Bobcat must be earned before Tiger Rank Badge can be awarded as of 2006. Here's a link on scouting.org:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Awards/Adults/advancement.aspx

It is my understanding of the program materials I've read that the Tiger totem and black/orange/white beads can be earned and awarded at any time. The Tiger rank badge and yellow disks can not be awarded until the Bobcat has been earned.

AnaMaria,

My reading of the program materials is the same as yours. But our Tiger DL was told at New Leader Training that the tiger paw emblem cane be given out before Bocat is earned, but that black/orange/white beads cannot be given out until after Bobcat. I was curious as to whether anyone here can provide a source for that information, becuase I have not been able to find it documented.

However, I don't want to get too nitpicky on the minutiae - in a better world, they would all earn Bobcat so quickly that it wouldn't be an issue!

Here's the quote from scouting.org -

Bobcat

No matter what age or grade a boy joins Cub Scouting, he must earn his Bobcat badge before he can advance to the rank of Tiger Cub, Wolf, Bear, or Webelos.

My understanding of "advance to the rank", would be awarding the rank badge. It makes no mention of any other award (LNT, belt loops, World Conservation Award) just rank.

I doubt we're going to find something that says you can award these other things, I think the above quote is clear enough. And I'd err on the side of the boys - if something can't be found that says to delay the other stuff, let them have it.

Good luck.

Sounds like the trainers were using old information. From what I've read in the latest literature:

Tiger Cubs earn the "Tiger Cub Immediate Recognition Emblem" when they learn the Cub Scout motto, sign, and salute. It is covered in the "Cub Scout Leader Book" (pp. 19-5 through 19-7) and also in the "Tiger Cub Handbook".

Tiger Cubs earn white (family), orange (den), and black (go see it) beads as they complete each of the achievements. These are to be presented when the achievement is completed (at den meetings).

All new Cub Scouts earn the Bobcat rank first. This does not preclude a Tiger Cub from earning his immediate recognition emblem or his achievement beads. The Tiger Cub must earn his Bobcat before he can receive his Tiger Cub rank badge (same as a boy joining Cub Scouts in a Wolf, Bear, or Webelos den).

Hope this helps.

Dave