Single Parents of Tigers?

A neighboring Pack has denied an application for a first grader to join their Pack. The parent (a single Dad - Mom lives in another State) works a job that rotates between days and nights every seven days. He told the leaders that he and his son would obviously miss some meetings/activities this year, since he has to be with his son (a Tiger). They denied him an application. I didn't think a Pack could do this. We found out because our CM received several phone calls from the parent involved, and other parents that invited this boy and his father to the meeting. They all were asking if this is BSA policy.

I am always amazed to be shocked by the high-handed, pompus and ludicrous behavior of some pack leaders. No this is not BSA policy. It is those leaders who make such statements who should have their applications denied.

Do what you can to get that dad to a pack who wants to work with children, rather than create their own Cub Scout "club." And kudos to that single parent dad who is doing what he can to get his son involved in a meaningful, productive activity. The motto of Cub Scouts is "Do your best"; not "We don't think your best meets our standards, so leave now and don't come back."

... the old adage applies ... "It takes a village to raise a child" especially ones with single parent. Geesssh, where is the part of the Cub Promise that says "... to help other people ...?" Don't the Scout ideals live any more?

Your pack should take 'em in with, as kbandit and Journey have said, "Open Arms!"

As others have stated it is not BSA policy. However, a unit is NOT required to take any and every application it receives.

Charter Organizations can make additional requirements for their unit's members (must be the same religion as the church CO, no girls in a Crew, etc).

A CO can also dismiss a member at any time for any reason (or none).

It is a pity that the Pack felt that way. It is easy enough for Tigers to make up any missed den activities as a family. I had a Tiger one year who missed most of our den meetings due to his ongoing doctor appointments clashing with our meeting times. I made sure to schedule the outings when they were able to attend and they did their requirements at home. He had a great year, had fun when he could make our meetings, earned his Tiger rank, and crossed to Boy Scouts last year.

Did the dad contact the CO about it to see if they were aware what the Pack was doing?

Did the boy and his dad end up at your Pack?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Our CM told the Dad to contact the CM and COR directly for "clarification" of why they were denied an application. Then our CM told the Dad to please come to our Pack Meeting, this week, and our Pack would love to have him and his son. The CM explained that we have a very active Tiger Den and great, trained Den Leaders, but to come visit and see for himself if we are a good fit for them.

This sound very similar to what a couple of Packs in my area would do. We have our Pack, which I (CM) have done my best to make diverse, inclusive, and open to all types of families. We then have two others (smaller neighboring communities) that discreetly send minorities, single parent kids, and lower income folk to other Packs. We welcome all types of families and undertand that, even at Tiger Rank, it still takes the entire group to make the Pack successful. Kudos to your Pack for inviting him to your Pack Meeting. The mental image of that little guy with his feelings hurt because he can't join is enough to make me want to drive to whereever you area and bring him to my Pack! :)

LL,

Good on you!!!

Would recommend you encourage Dad to have a friend, perhaps even Mom (I know, been there, done this myself) who could provide guardian-like coverage for events when he's on shift. That way son can attend. One of the key things of Tiger is building the 1/1 parent-kid bond. That way, you're helping him find a solution, vice just saying he's a problem.

There are some units that do not have Tiger Cubs. LDS do not as they use a strict age requirements. Cubs start at 8 years old on the boy's birthday. Then Boy scouts are a ii but a limited program till the are 12. Varsity at 14, and Venturing at 16 and ending at 18 plus no girls. It all has to do with different levels in their faith.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a son who just became a Tiger. I am married but understand shift work. My wife also works rotating shifts. If I can't take my son she does. Also I have my father in line to back us both up. I does not have to be the same person to take the tiger to each meeting/activity.

It's a shame that some organizations become exclusive on membership. When that happen maybe we should follow the advise of Groucho Marx. "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.