achievement question for arrow rewards

Hi just want to clear something, before I tell someone a wrong thing.When a scout is using a achievement ,not for the bear badge ,(know they can not use the remaining parts left over from the bear badge) does each part get counted for 1 thing by itself to reach the first 10 to get Gold Arrow, i.e.

say for example did not do #18 for bear badge, going to try to do parts B,D, H from # 18, does B,D, H count as 3 points towards the 10 or does the WHOLE thing need to be done?

Appericate any help. Thanks

Sorry to cut and past here...in case you have seen it.

AFTER earning the Bear badge, a special collection of age-appropriate Bear Electives are also available to allow Bear Cub's to earn Arrow Points

FOR BEARS ONLY!

There are slight differences between the Wolf and Bear Arrow Points rules. In the Bear program, achievement requirements now follow the same rules as the elective requirements. Each one is a separate project. The achievements sometimes require completion of an elective to satisfy a particular requirement. As such, after completing all of his achievements a Bear Cub can go back to his electives and use any requirement he did not count toward his Bear badge. Remember these important rules:

* A Bear can mix requirements from electives and unused achievements in any way to get the ten he needs for each Arrow Point.

* He may earn Arrow Points from the Bear Cub Scout Book until he becomes a Webelos Scout.

* He may work on these electives all through his Bear year, but he cannot receive Arrow Points until he has earned your Bear badge.

* Any achievement requirement that he has completed to earn his Bear badge cannot be used again to earn Arrow Points, but there are many more to choose from.

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/arrow-points.html

Been a while since I was CM, but I think all of each numbered req. needs completed to count.

3 points toward the 10.

You might not want to allocate achievement requirements to rank or elective just now. Wait until your son is nearer to completing all of the rank requirements. That way he can pick and choose which achievements he wants to use for what.

Scoutnut,

Thanks that what I needed to clear up. I am not planning on those yet till we get there, just wanted to make sure when we did start WE was doing it correctly and was counting towards the 10 or had to do the complete series in that group. Thanks

"A Bear can mix requirements from electives and UNUSED ACHIEVEMENTS in any way to get the ten he needs for each Arrow Point." I have a question about the unused achievements part. I'm the advancement person and don't have a bear yet, so I got the above quote from an online source. Say Sammy Scout works on achievement 9 what's cooking. He does 9 a,b,c,d for his bear badge. I understand that he can't re-do a-d, but what about the rest? Is achievement 9 now considered used and can't be used for electives? Or can he later go back and do 9 e,f,g and count them as electives? If he can't go back and count the others, can you please provide the source for this rule. I have a parent who will call me out and question me if I tell her they don't count. I'll need proof. Thanks

rrelaljrksw,

As Scout has stated about it can't be used for both. It is in the handbook, also it has 2 choices to sign off for,1 for badge and 1 for arrow point, which you were right about 1 thing, once boy has the done the things needed for that part and he is using towards the Bear badge, that # is done, can not be used again.

Thanks for the info. I have a wolf, so I'll have to borrow a bear book to read. I have a Bear DL who wants the boys to finish the ENTIRE book and earn every possible arrow point. There are only 3 bears and I think this will burn them out. I'm trying to discourage her and knowing that they can't be arrow points might help. Last year her son was the only wolf and he did the ENTIRE book.

If the boys WANT to do all the book, even the stuff they won't credit for, I say good for them. I am going to encourage my son to more than just the miminal amount so he can just it off, but I am not going to Make him do it all just for a EXTRA Badge either, just my thoughts.

Helicopter Parent Warning rrelaljrksw!

The reason the Bear program was set up with choices for the Scout to make was to start the transition to Webelos and then to Boy Scout. There are bound to be some subjects in the book that just don't interest some boys.

The decision to do everything in the book should be the BOY's not the Helicopter Leader's.

I was getting ready to post here last night but got interrupted at home.

"Me too" to what ScoutNut said. Part of the design of the program is that as Scouts get older, they get to make more of their own choices as to what they do.

Though from what I hear, this might change a bit next year when the new replacement for program helps is rolled out, as it seems that there will be more of a focus on working achievements into the den meetings.

Also, to ScoutNut's earlier comment on deciding which to use for achievements vs. electives... FWIW, our pack uses ScoutTrack to track advancement. The software will apply the achievements in the order they are completed first toward the Bear badge (within each section, of course), with any extra counting as electives. Just something to be aware of if you are using a program instead of manual tracking.

Thanks Snow White for the info on Scouttrack. I was wondering about that as a couple of the boys in my den are getting close to completing two of the sections.

I can't even imagine trying to get my son to complete all of the achievements and electives, let alone trying to get the whole den to do it and there's no way I would try.

Karen

Snow White, Have a question to you, you say the Scouttrax puts in all info in order, never have used or seen this software so please forgive me, but if the software is counting the unused parts of a certain achievement that was used for the Bear Badge they can not be used for the Arrow credits says the book. Maybe I have missed understood what you meant by your post. Please forgive me if I did, just thought that it was wrong.

bear dad,

For example, under the Country group, the Scout must complete three of the five listed achievements. Let's say that you have been checking off various requirements under each of the five as your Scout does the activities, and on Oct 12, you have checked off enough requirements to complete What Makes America Special, on Oct 13, you have checked off enough to complete Tall Tales, and on Oct 14, enough to complete Take Care of Your Planet. The software will apply these three achievements toward the Bear badge. Any requirements that you check off (even if already checked off)under Sharing Your World with Wildlife and Law Enforcement is a Big Job will then count as electives.

The main point I was making is that the system will not give you a way to tell it "I want to apply Law Enforcement to the Bear badge and use What Makes America Special for electives". If you want to do it that way, you have to put it in that order.

Hope this is clearer.