Scouting article - Cub Cold Weather Camping

I can see that John completely ignored my post so I can assume I am on his ignore list.

It is ridiculous to catagorically say that cubs are not ready for winter tent camping because national says so. It is a rule with in Cub scouting made to idiot proof the Cub experience. Besides what urban/suburban mom is gonna tent camp in the northern winter, not gonna happen.

Remember cub camping is Family camping.

Cubs aren't supposed to backpack either, My son 8 and daughter 7 Backpacked a 23 mile loop last weekend. Now ask me if it is appropriate to take a bear or weeb den out like this. Heck no.

No, you're not on my ignore list. I'm working a goofy cycle, and I was laser-light focused on answering the BSA Staffer?? stringer?? 's question.

I think you hit the matter smack on. It's one I see every summer at overnight Cub camp. Too many parents have never spent a night under God's good sky, let alone in winter weather.

Day outings? Take them to learn to ski, or an old fashioned snow war, or ice skating, or ice fishing? Sure... but there's a reason we're discouraged from a night trip. It's called too many parents these days lack winter night common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I might learn this in Baloo training this weekend- but I'll ask anyhow.

Is "Winter Camping" defined? I'm in Southern California so December and March 21 are just days on the calendar. I presume that they mean camping in "winter conditions" where there's snow or potential for severe winter weather.

Is "Camping-Family" exempt from some of the other rules because each child is under the direct supervision of their guardian?

Our Pack currently has only a Spring family campout planned for April, but I'm lobbying for a couple more between now and then. Some possibilities are in the desert where night time lows can drop below freezing but sudden winter storms aren't a risk (presuming somebody checks the forecast).

(Should I mention that the first time I took my wife camping in winter- technically in Southern California- the temperature was -5F at 5:00 PM and only got colder?)(This message has been edited by JimWhiteLongBeach)

Family Camping means 1/1, with the exception of sibs under a parent can be sibs/1.

Parents, married, need not be registered. In my Council, anyone else, to include non-custodial parents, must be registered Scouters. The no 1/1 contact rule of YP kicks in swiftly when there isn't a blood family relationship. In other words, through your CM, contact your UC or DE.

Winter camping depends not just on raw temp, but on a persons' gear and ability to operate in colder climes. If your families are equipped to handle the high desert, take them there. If their camping gear doesn't support below 60F, don't take them there. Having gotten my "raindrop" award in Troop 110 long ago, if families lack viable rain gear, don't go in a 45F rain.

First dictum: Common sense applies.