Ideas for cub scout den recruitment...

I am a den leader, and our pack CM and CC have decided not to do a recruitment this year... for reasons I dont want to get into.. would take too long...

So the Tiger, Wolf, and Bear leaders want to do our own recruitment event...

Any suggestions for an event ?? Please help us brainstorm some ideas that boys might like to come to, to then join our pack ?

Thanks !!

GOOD! Skipping recruitment for a year is probably not a good plan.

There are tons of things you could do and invite recruits along:

- have a picnic at the local park

- have a campfire/weenie roast

- go on a haunted hayride and send flyers out at schools inviting parents to bring their cub-aged kids.

- have a water day

Really, plan any activity that your boys love to do and then send out invitations at the local schools. Kids will have more fun (and be more interested in Scouting) if they are doing something fun rather than the boring ol' "come meet the Cubs at the local rec center" recruitment drive. Once the kids are there and having fun, you can ply their parents with the wonders of Cub Scouting.

One of the best ways to recruit is peer to peer. Have the boys in the dens invite the boys in their classes to a den meeting or event. Now that Fall winds are blowing, a kite making and flying activity is fun for all groups.

Ask at your council if they have any of those recruitment postcards from a few years back.

We are inviting local boys and their parents to our Raingutter Regatta that we are having early next month. We also wrote a letter to the editor in the local newspaper letting everyone know that we are doing signups. Your Council may also have yard signs available (ours does) that you can place around town.

Side comment: if neither your CM or your CC are willing to make sure recruiting takes place it's time to replace them. Recruiting is the third bullet point on almost any CM position discription I've seen, after "be trained" and "plan and lead the Pack meetings."

If neither of these people is willing to step up and see that recuiting is taking place, then it would seem to me that neither of them cares what happens when the CM moves on at the end of his/her term.

We had a table at the schools open house and we actually got 18 new scouts!!! Contact your local BSA Council and they should have someone that can go to the schools to talk with the entire school and get recruitment that way. GOOD LUCK!!!!