Pack Treasurer

I would find out what it is that your committee wants you to do. What are they looking for. One acct. Different accts for different programs. Or are they looking for something like scout accts.

I do not know what kind of document/database programs are you running. If you are using MS office, look around there and see what kind of files they have to offer.

Don't try to re-invent the wheel. There is something that should work for you out there.

What you need depends on what you need to keep track of. If it is 1 checking account a notebook to keep treasurer's reports in. Keep track of expenditures and incoming money with a description of what or where monies have come or gone on a neatly written paper. Make sure to notate the scout/person giving you the money. I like a two part small reciept book.

Keep it simple and make sure others can understand by looking at your work what has taken place.

I keep track of 1 checking account, 20 scout accouts and 12 adult accounts with ledger pages and a notebook. Popcorn and wreath sales I do use an excel program that one of our adults put together for the troop. This is for a Boy Scout troop. I have had parents ask to see the activity of their son's account, take the page out and let'm look. Not had a problem.

Keep it simple.

I use Quickbooks and a binder. In Quickbooks you can put each entry in and easily balance it when you get your statement. Also you can print a report easily. Nice checks and balances.

My binder has tab dividers with each month. Each month will have the banks statement, a copy of the treasure report and all the receipts for that month.

• 1 month later...

How is the easiest way starting from scracth, same way? Also how do keep the boys accounts seperate from the general fund just by paper. i.e. general fund is XXXXX and of that little johnny has XXXXX in his account , so the acutal general fund is XXX thanks.

Hi as to SCOUTNUT'S reply, why would you not use a account for a scout? Think it would not be fair to the boys earning there way. Are you suggesting that ALL money earned goes into the general fund? Please clarify for me. thanks

Scout accounts at the Cub scout level are a royal pain. You must have a person whose responsibility is to keep track of that(usually treasurer). In my opinion it is not worth the hassle of taking the time to do this at cub level. Usually there are alot more cubs than at the Boy Scout level. You must have the accounts available for parents to look at each meeting and believe me a couple will each time. You must keep other scout accounts private or you'll get "Why does little Billy have $XX.xx more than my son?" + it's none of their business. Also with individual accounts I strongly recommend that you never borrow funds from those accounts for pack spending.

Why not put all fundraising in the pack general fund and help the pack grow and go? Sure some will raise more funds than others but it will always be that way. If you want to reward the top seller(s) get some cool prizes the pack pays for. Free activity. Free pinewood upgrades(available through your local scout shop). Print out certificates for top sellers (google and you can find some free templets). Scout t-shirts available through scout shop. Cub scout hats.

If you are set on doing scout accounts be sure to have it all spelled out on paper the whats and ?'s you are going to get. Make sure everyone gets a copy. In no circumstance will a scout get a check for quiting the pack if there are funds left in the account.

I am on the committee of a cub scout pack and we did away with individual accounts this year. All fundraising goes to the general pack fund.

Kbandit, thanks for the reply, question though what do you do if some boys don't sell any say popcorn or just don't want too? My thought is that some parents may get mad that some one else's son is "carrying there son" if that is the right thing to say?

We have ben told that fundraisers like pop corn helps parents/boys pay for there way, i.e. dues,camps,etcc.

This is why we have been selling with our son, like many parents in our pac, lot of them single parents, parents been laid off, or 1 parent working,etc.. this way to afford scouts.

Considering we are new pac and all, promblem right now is when we start taking dues how many boys are going to pay on time, it would be easy if all boys paid for there yearly dues upfront then we would know how much we had.

I am just trying to make sure that the boys selling are rewarded in that there dues, camps are paid for if they sell enough or help off set some money needed to for a certain thing.

You that have been in scouts may know better than me, and for some packs it may or may work them? I can't see why some boys get the benefit of those who CHOOSES NOT TO TRY TO HELP THERE PAC. It one thing if everyone pay there dues and thats it, that may be there only thing they want out of scouts to do the basics, but believe it is unfair that others that want to be able to go to camp and tries, does fundraises to be able to so mom and dad don't have to pay out more and more everytime, as you all know scouting can be rather costly.

Keep in mind that I am not saying all proceeds from popcorn sell goes into boys accounts, but a certain amount or % of it to cover the dues cost, least that way we know what we have, and some boys might not want to go to any camps, money could be used for uniforms.

Guess I look at things different, but thoughts were being tought to PAY THERE WAY.

Bear dad

Our troop has mandatory fundraisers that if the scouts/parents choose not to participate they have agreed previously to pay XX.xx amount in lieu of selling/participating for that particular thing. We have 2 mandatory things a year.

We achieved this in having a troop policy as to what we expect from them and them from the troop. It is signed by scout and parent and kept on file. It is stated in our policy how much the scout is expected to earn for troop general fund and then after that figure a percentage will be put into scout accout. Keep in mind I am talking Boy Scouts here that camp once a month, some months also have day activities and 1 week at scout camp.

I can send you a copy of our troop's policy if you PM me. It may make more sense looking at it that way.(This message has been edited by kbandit)

After the popcorn sale I made up a simple Excel spreadsheet showing which portion of the popcorn profits were allocated to each boy, and sent it to the treasurer. When he issued a check, the disbursement was added in a column and the New Balance column would update by a formula. This pack was small enough, though, that I could remember each boy's balance. It was well worth it, because there were boys that would not have been able to go to winter camp without popcorn profits. To simplify things, one rule was that the only disbursement method allowed was a check payable to the council. This reduced the risk of misappropriation.

RE: Many hats,

Thanks we have thought about giving awards to best seller, but to be honest with you, I don't alot of boys have done any , or did not know if they was still going to be a scout or??

Personaly I think my son has outsold everyone else, Don't to put a offer like that out there knowing how it might turn out.If we decided to do that, some might think it rigged, maybe not??

Don't want to get anyone a reason to gripe. Do like the ideal of paying half or recharter fees, though.

You are a brand new Pack that does not even have everyone registered yet, your CO nailed down, and have not even started den meetings. Now is NOT the time to worry about Scout Accounts, and how much one boy (your son) has sold vs another boy. You need to get the Pack off the ground first.

/rant on

THERE -- at or in a place

THEIR -- the possessive form of they

THEY'RE -- the contraction of THEY and ARE

The Smith's live there but they're at their cabin this weekend.

/rant off

Back to the thread:

Every night, as I go to sleep, I thank God we don't have Scout accounts.