Burnout arrived early this year...

Like the last Poster, I was someone who "did it all" where others didn't step up (not that I minded while helping the Pack start up and develop a program and template for future success, as I wanted to be sure if it was done, it was done as best we could). But we quickly realized that to avoid burnout on the part of Den Leaders (and me), we needed an "Every Parent Helps" rule (now called "Every Parent Leads", since just saying "uh, I'll help when/if I show up" doesn't do much for sharing the coordination burden). Every Parent has to help lead two Den Meetings, and take on a Pack Administrative Role (or be on a Committee to support the Pack Chair in an area like Advancement, Activities, Derby, Banquet, Membership, Communications -- and if there is no Pack Chair, the Chair will come from the Committee).

As part of that, since in 5 months and 2 days (not that I'm counting) my youngest son will cross over to a Troop, we announced two years ago that I would no longer be Cubmaster as of Fall 2008 -- at which time we had to introduce the "MJOKAC Distribution Program". MJOKAC is pronounced "muh-jo-kak", and means "Many Jobs Once Known As Cubmaster". The concept was that when we announced a need to get a new Cubmaster, the common comment was "I can't do what he did", and instead we said: You don't have to. Because if Every Parent Helps, we'll distribute the MJOKAC, and Cubmaster could be just the MC at Pack Events.

Bottom line advice to anyone: start that early! It is a hard process, and while it is easier (short term) to "do it all", it is harder in the long run.

Bert Bender

Pack Trainer/Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 631, South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

http://www.atlanta631.mypack.us

(Look for the "About Us and How to Join" page on the left side for our "Every Parent Leads" rule)

Couldn't help but notice this in Cheerful Eagle's last reply:

"She said that the head of the popcorn drive was working all the shifts that no one else worked...."

Sounds typical. Makes you wonder if Ms. Yelling Lady was so concerned about the poor popcorn chair, she should have volunteered a turn or two, just to "do her part".

CE, if you were here in FL, I would love to have your family with our (not my, OUR) pack. Give us 20 to each do 1 job well, and we're golden!

With all due respect for the Cub program, which my youngest loved and thrived. I really think that in many ways it does a dis-service to the original vision of Scouting which should begin when a young man become aware of themselves as potential adult. Which is about 11 years old.

Some years our troops attrition rate is about 50% after cross over. (That is, 50% never make to fall after cross over) I attribute it to a mindset families feel that Boys Scouts is mere extension of Cubs. They are burned out of that concept.

My Dad really didnt want me to join Scouts until I was 11 in the mid- 1970s. Today I totally understand his rational.