Webelos - Citizen

How is it not fun? The key is get OUT of the normal meeting place. Find someone interesting, police Officer, town official, etc... to speak.

This may be old, as it's been awhile since I was Cub Master or a Webelos Leader.

I found a good program on the web......do you look at the Program Helps?

Badge Name: Citizen Start Date: 10/01 Completion Date: 10/30

Den Meeting Location: Chris's house Date/Time: 10/09

Den Outing Location: Senior Citizens Center Date/Time: 10/19

**** Note: The Senior citizens center loves it when the Scouts come in uniform. You will be surprised how many residents were Scouts!

Fulfilling Badge Requirements:

#2, 3, 4: Activity: 3 stations run by parents. Scout rotate between stations to review the governing officials, flag etiquette, and flag respect.

#5: Activity: At den meeting opening, everyone says the Pledge of Allegiance and then take a couple minutes to discuss it.

#6, 7: Activity: group discussion at den meeting.

#8: Activity: perform service project as den outing this month.

#12-17: Activity: Hand out descriptions of the 5 requirements and allow the scouts to choose any two to write about.

Homework do before Den Meeting:

* Read Citizen section in Webelos handbook

* Can start on two requirements from #12-17

Den Meeting Agenda:

Time Activity, Game, Presentation, Skill, ...

6:55 Gathering: SPUD or Crab Fights

7:00 Opening Ceremony - Pledge of Allegiance and discussion

7:10 Talk about the National Anthem and Citizen Rights and Duties.

7:25 Hand out requirements #12-17 and sheets of paper and pencils. Scouts complete any two requirements.

7:45 Game: any Webelos Game

8:00 Divide group into 3. Rotate through 3 stations. One to discuss government leaders, one to discuss and practice flag etiquette, one to discuss flag respect.

8:20 Closing Ceremony - clean-up and snack

Den Outing Agenda:

Time Activity, Game, Presentation, Skill, ...

2:00 Meet at Senior Citizens Center to play bingo with residents.

4:00 Head home.

Last time I did this was when my now 20 year old was of the proper age for this, but just keep it simple.

We did those types of pins over several weeks with a requirement or two done each week and then the rest of the meeting spent on stuff that was more fun. Pair it up with making art projects for another pin or something. They are then amazed by how much they got done without it seeming like they were learning.

We held an election of a den patrol - it was right about the time of the Presidential election. We gave them all the patrol patch pictures and they were allowed to pick their favorite 3. We called this the primary election. Then we tallied up those votes and took the top 3 vote getters and made a ballot. We took a box and cut a hole in it and put up poster board to create a voting booth. After the election they counted the ballots. They loved this and it gave them a sense of what an election by secret ballot was. They are now the Dragon Patrol. We did this in two meetings. We had one scout who couldn't be there so we allowed them to submit their vote by e-mail (not really secret) but it tied in with absentee ballots.

Many moons ago when I was a webelos leader we took the boys to talk to the police and fire department behind the scenes, the boys got the experience of being locked in a cell, and at the fire department a chance to see how fast they could put on all that equipment for fighting a fire. More importantly they got some quality talk time with the police and fire guys about what makes a good citizen, also, near the town was a Marine base and they got to see what serving your country in the military was all about. For the finale the den got to do an opening flag ceremony for the city council meeting, received a citation from the mayor, who was also our district chairman, and watch local government in action. The boys seemed to love the experience and in our small town these activities were easy to arrange back then.

Keep it light and keep it fun!

Great idea on the patrol! I planned to have them vote for it but didn't think about turning it into an election. For some of the other requirements I thought about turning it into a competition. Group them and see who can answer the most. (President, Vice etc.)

What I did was create a 3 month theme called "Eagle Island" ... the patrol name was "Eagles" ... the idea was bill gates bought a small island and asked us to form the government, etc ... that wast first month... then next month the island got his by a large storm and there are injured people etc which lead into readyman ... then cus of the storm etc communications were down which gave us communicator too...

if you are interested I will work up more details on how I did this ...

Wacky Scouting to All

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

http://twitter.com/insanescouter

Helping leaders one resource at a time....