Small role for siblings?

Our Pack has 4 scouts that have little sisters (4-6 years old) that are at just about every meeting with Mom and Dad. They play with the scouts, cheer them on and are just nice little girls. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about maybe a small role for them. I was thinking "Pack cheerleaders" or "Pack mascots" or something like that. Don't want to put a whole lot into it, but just something and then a small something to recognize them at the Blue and Gold. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Thanks

Jason

New Cubmaster

I hope this comes off the right way, but one thing to watch out for is recognizing them at the expense of other siblings (younger brothers or whatever). Chances are some parent will get his/her noise out of joint if their little tyke isn't also given some equivalent role or position. If you start something, be prepared to have expectations that whatever you do will be continued. This may not be an issue with your pack, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

A better way to "recognize" the girls might be to just start including them in skits, invite them (and any other siblings) to come to appropriate events and the like.

Maybe include the sibs in awarding their own brothers their rank badges, or have them be helpers in other ways that wouldn't normally be something the boys would do.

For example, in our Pack, we probably have 7-8 sisters in the 4th-6th grade range who are all Girl Scouts. Once skit that always works is "The Girl Scouts are Coming":

Boy 1: sitting at fake camp fire

Boy 2 (enters running): Hey, a bear is coming!!

Boy 1 (shrugs): whatever...come sit at the fire.

Boy 3 (enters running): Hey, a tornado is coming!!

Boys 1 and 2 (shrug): so what ... come sit down.

Boy 4 (or 5 or 6) (enters running): Hey, the GIRLS are coming!!

The girls run on stage and the boys run off, screaming.

Anyway, just some ideas.

I would recognize them along with any parents for their support of the scouts at B&G. But that is about it. The program is for the boys and they should be the focus.

During the year, having a "siblings" race at Pinewood is good too. But that is about it.

You can have "Scout Buddies" T-shirts for all younger siblings.

Make sure they are included in all songs and games and other family activities.

ALL family members (adult and sibs) who have helped out over the year, should be recognized at either B&G, or at end of year Graduation. It can be something as simple as stocking up on the Valentine heart candies and giving everyone a bag and your "heartfelt" thanks.

We have given our Scout sisters (whether older or younger) the title of Honorary Scout Sister. We have several in our Pack. They are included in all family activities. They love PWD, and get to enter the Open Division. We usually recognize them at B&G, and at Bridging time too. A couple of the older girls have been great helpers with Mini Camp (babysitting) at our District Day Camp. We give the girls little jobs to do, like help with set-up for Pack Meetings, help with even younger siblings, etc.

As for younger, non-Scout aged boys, we encourage them to participate along with the older brothers on certain things (like learning the Bobcat trail without it being formal, etc.) We have had several boys this year join because they saw the fun that their older brothers are having.(This message has been edited by Lady_Leigh67)

I try and remember that Cub Scouts is a family program. Pack activities are planned to be age appropriate (i.e. entertaining for 1st - 5th graders) Any sibling, regardless of whether they are brothers or sisters, are encouraged to participate in those Pack activities so long as it is age appropriate.

While uniforms advancement and recognized BSA awards are strictly for the registered Scouts, "participant" recognition such as temporary patches for completing hikes, attending overnighters and participating in community service projects are awarded to everyone.

Cub Scouts is a family program basically because of the age of the Cubs. And just because it is a family program doesn't mean the family gets "recognized" just because they show up & support their son/brother/sister. Isn't that what families are suppose to do?

We once included a 5-year-old brother in our Tiger den. He did everything the Tigers did. We recognized him with rewards of dollar store items. We also had my daughter (a Girl Scout) who was about 10 at the time babysit little ones during den time. We provided her with crayons and coloring pages. She also played children's card games, and other activities with them. They were given their own space in the schoolcafeteria where we met so we could always see them. She did this for about 6 years.

Cub Scouting is a family system, but be cautious when you start adding awards for siblings. It's hard enough when one adult feels slighted. It's ten times worse when they feel that little "Johnny" should have gotten something too.

We do include all siblings in as many things as we can though. All three of our derbies have sibling races. They can participate in Pack Meeting games and activities. And at campouts/campins they not only attend, but can participate in age appropriate activities.