new Cub Scout belt loop requirements-when?

Although I don't think it will happen, I would like to see a supplement to the Current Academics and Sports Books instead of having to buy a complete new book. I am sure that there has not been too many changes to the others...Just need something that has the new ones with the new requirements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had someone inquire about belt loops.

Their son played soccer last year and wanted to know if they were entitled to earning the belt loop for their sport. Or does the belt loop need to be earned during their "scouting" time.

Thanks so much-

I read Cubmom2's question differently. I think she meant "scouting time" as in during a scouting activity. You have to complete the requirements while you're registered as a scout, but they don't have to be done as part of a scouting activity (with the exception of BB Guns and Archery). So if they were scouts while on the team they can use that to fulfiil the requirements.

As to the new requirements, if you're talking about Disabilities Awareness, Family Travel, Good Manners, Nutrition, Pet Care, Photography Reading and Writing, and Video Games that were added in November 2009. They're available here http://www.usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/a-sindex.asp.

And I can't think why anyone on this forum would buy the book since everything is available online.

Convenience! Sometimes you need to look something up or reference something, and you aren't at your computer, you might be at the den meeting, pack meeting or even camping.

I bought one of those SCoputer messenger bags on sale at scoutsource . It carries two 3 ring binder (leader book and Cub scout activities), carries my coppy of the Bear Cub handbook, A collapsable file folder/atache thing with various documents and forms in it, and also any fliers or printouts I might pass out at meetings.

My computer is awesome when I'mat home in front of it, but catch me anywhere else with a question.. it isn't doing me any good!

Convenience! Sometimes you need to look something up or reference something, and you aren't at your computer, you might be at the den meeting, pack meeting or even camping.

I bought one of those SCoputer messenger bags on sale at scoutsource . It carries two 3 ring binder (leader book and Cub scout activities), carries my coppy of the Bear Cub handbook, A collapsable file folder/atache thing with various documents and forms in it, and also any fliers or printouts I might pass out at meetings.

My computer is awesome when I'm at home in front of it, but catch me anywhere else with a question.. it isn't doing me any good!

Yep, only activities done while they are a registered member of BSA can count toward BSA awards. Also, only activities done while in a specific Cub level, can count toward that level's rank, or elective requirements.

Otherwise you would have folks claiming that something their son did as a 2 year old could count toward their Bear rank award. Or a craft done as a Tiger could count toward Webelos Craftsman.

Now, if the boy was a registered Cub Scout last year, at the time he was also playing Soccer, than yes, if he did not receive a Soccer belt loop at that time, he would be eligible to receive one now.

HOWEVER, unless he was a Webelos Cub Scout last year, the Soccer belt loop would NOT meet the requirement for the Webelos Sportsman Activity Badge for this year.

"And I can't think why anyone on this forum would buy the book since everything is available online."

Actually, the pages for each award not only lists the belt loop, and pin, requirements (which makes a handy form for the parents to use to report completion to their den leader), but also contain some information on the subject.

Not a bad idea for a current copy to be in your Pack library.

Please, if you want accurate information, your best bet is to go with a BSA source.

The requirements for all belt loops/pins, including the new ones, can be found on the BSA National Web site -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/awards/adults/sanda.aspx

The 2010 Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide (blue cover) is out, and should be in your local Scout Shop. If not, you can order it online from scoutstuff.org, The BSA National online store -

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=BOOKS_LIT&c3=LDRS_TRAINING&c4=&lv=3&item=34299