Summertime Pack award

We planned and held activities in June, July, and August, but unfortunately did not meet the 50% attendance requirement for the summertime pack award. However, We did have about 6 boys who did attend all three events. My question is, can those boys be awarded the individual pin even though the pack did not qualify? Thanks.

From BSA.org

"A pack can qualify for the National Summertime Pack Award certificate and streamer by planning and conducting three pack activitiesone each in June, July, and August. This award can be an incentive for greater attendance at your summer pack activities.

Qualifying packs receive a colorful streamer for their pack flag.

Dens with an average attendance of at least half their members at the three summer pack events will be eligible for a colorful den participation ribbon.

Boys who participate in all three pack events are eligible to receive the National Summertime Pack Award pin, which they can wear on the right pocket flap of their uniform."

The 50% only applies to the Dens, any boy that has attended an event every month can get their individual recognition.

mikejlilly

Ok so I have a question. We went to a summer resident camp. We registered as a pack, but unfortunatly only 4 boys attended. 3 from the bears and 1 from the Wolves. That was our july event. We have two other events in the planning for August. A pack Swim and a Popcorn kickoff at the district level. Not to mention our welcome back pack meeting is at the end of august.

Do the boys who attended at least one event each month this summer, get the Pin? I just want to make sure that I am in the right before I start giving out the pins.

Did you have an event in June? In order to earn the pin, a scout has to have attended one activity in each of June, July and August. If they attend an activity in July and two in August, this does not qualify. The PAck earns the award fro holding at least one activity in each of the three months as well.

My question on this is more in line of rank......

We have a debate going on here i will try to explain.....

in the 2nd grade my den went through their wolf year in June they got out of school (and are ready for 3rd grade and can work on their Bear requirements), now if we have 3 events throughout the summer do these events count toward the Bear year or the Wolf year......

THanks

scott

John i cant agree with you more, the boys love bling..... I have 6 of my 8 boys getting their award this weekend at the last event (Resident Camp) of the summer.

Where i wanted the question to go though is, do you count the summer before the (grade) rank or after the (grade) rank as the summer for the award.....

hope this helps

scott

SctDad,

To be fair you shouldn't count Resident Camp as a Pack activity since not all can attend. Since your Tigers are not allowed to participate that really doesn't make it a Pack activity, where I am at it is considered a Council event not a Pack activity. They do this mainly because we don't camp as a Pack nor do we really spend anytime as a Pack.

Struax,

Once your boys cross over from Wolves to Bears then any activity they do (even during the summer) counts toward their Bear achievements.

You can definitely count summer camp and day camp toward your Pack's Summertime Award. As with all of the other summer events, it does not matter if only 1 or 2 Scouts attend.

The dates are set aside for this on your Pack calendar. It is promoted by your Pack to your Pack families. In our council Cub resident camp is Parent/Scout (so new Tigers are allowed). While you do not sign up together as a Pack for resident camp, if you put your Pack number on the registration council will put everyone from your Pack together in the same area (if possible).

struax - As of June 1st, BSA moves all Cub Scouts up to the next level. Once you leave a level you can not work in it any more. Your Cubs are now Bear Cub Scouts and their awards are at that level.

Fred - BSA now has a Summertime Activity pin for each level. That way when the boys earn it more than once they will not be all the same.

I have to agree; if the unit schedules and promotes the opportunity, it counts. It's up to parents to take advantage of opportunities in Cub Scouting, be they a Council Camp, a 4th of July parade, a picnic ... whatever.

I also think generously on timeframe. Summertime begins when school lets out or Memorial Day, whichever is earlier. Summertime ends on Labor Day or when school is back in, whichever is later. That should give you 15-16 weeks of time.

Frankly, this is all bling. The streamer is bling. I think it checks a box on the Centennial Quality Unit app. The boys pins or patches are bling. At 6-1/2 to 11, enthusiasm is easily maintained... just a little bling. Kids aren't jaded the way we can be.

Relax :) This is about the kids and their trails :)

F,

Starting this past year, the Summertime Pack Award that the cubs wear IS now rank based. The new pins come in multicolored borders. Check out the website

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/SearchPage.aspx?page=LIST&free_text|=sumertime%20pack%20award&answers_per_page=15

Now it is my understanding that June 1 is when SCOUTNET will allow kindergartners into the system as frist graders,as the case with my son shows. SO The summer BEFORE the school year counts as that level.

SO my son hopefully will get his TC Summertime award this year, all he has to do is attend the game nite monday. Then next summer he can earn the Wolf award, etc etc. If we waited until the summer AFTER the rank year, then Webelos 2 would be out of luck as they should be involved with a troop after they finishe their second year.

As for the question about the June activity. We still had our end of year pack meeting at the beginning of the month. There was also a Scout night with the local minor league team. That was the june activity.

Pack15

As for the July resident camp.. YOu are right, it was for wolf through webelos. BUT, there was a twilight camp that was promoted for the new tigers that signed up at spring round up. they all had the oppurtunity as our council did not charge a late fee for new tigers coming in. Where they did for everyine else if you did not sign up 2 weeks before. So that covers the July activity for those boys.

I advertise and promote all of these camps and things as much as I can. We did fund raisers to help pay for it, (Car washes) and still had many parents that were just not interested in going. Even though we stated that we were trying to help with the cost.

My plans are to get the rosters of those that went, and make sure that they get their deserved pins. I have two tigers that will probably be getting it if they attend our August activity.

Does that sound right folks.

The Summertime Pin is just bling. As such, it doesn't really matter advancement wise. Now technically, once they advance it would apply to the next level. The new ones are colored by year though so we have started giving them out based on their previous rank. That way they get all four.