Weeblos and Boy Scouts camp outs

I am a bit confused about nationals policy. I thought that I read that the weeblos are no longer allowed to spend the night at camporees or campouts with the Boy Scouts. Can anyone provide a link to the information.

I am looking toward the fall when our pack gets together having a better idea of the do's and don'ts.

Hmm...this one's new to me. But, having been out of the program since '97, a LOT is new to me.

I know when I was in Webelos, my den went on one or two campouts with the troop, but not "with" the troop. We maintained our own campsite, ate our own meals and did not interact with the troop except to learn some basic camp craft. And even then we sat together as a den and some of the troop's PLs came over to guide us under the supervision of the den leader. This would have been, oh, '84, so well before the days of YPT and 2DL.

Of course, with a lot of the things have reared their ugly heads since then, even within my home council, I can completely understand why things have become they way they have. But oh well, as long as it's still for the boys, then it's still the best program out there for the money.

In the last few years, our Camporees have gone from Webelos camping out with Boys Scouts to just coming out for the day only to not coming at all. Now they have Webeloree, where the Webelos camp out and the Boy Scouts come out for the day to run different activity stations. They have also made this count toward the overnight requirement for AoL. Sadly I don't think this is a good trend.

I have heard the talk that National does not allow the Webelos to come to the Camporees and that it has to do with liability issues. But I don't know anything official though.

Do not why nation made the prohibition on Webelos at camporees, but that is from the top. I do know that my old council had Encampments where ALL registered members were invited to attend: Cubs, scouts, venturers, and yes even a law enforcement Explorer post (they handled parking and first aid). We would have betweeen 10 and 12 thousand attend.

My current council is going to this format for the anniversary: All members are invited to an encampment. If successful, it may be continued

Actually the BSA policy is pretty clear.

You posted the BSA Age-Appropriate Guidelines. It clearly states Webelos may only visit at Boy Scout Camporees.

The Guide to Safe Scouting states -

"Joint Webelos den-troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips."

The Cub Scout Leaders Book Chapter 21 - states -

"Webelos den overnight campouts provide opportunities for Webelos Scouts to enjoy the increasing camping challenges offered by BSA's progressive camping program, but still within the family environment of Cub Scouting. Webelos camping experiences should help prepare Webelos Scouts for the camping adventures of Boy Scouting without taking away from the type of camping they will experience as a member of a Boy Scout Troop."

"Webelos dens are encouraged to participate in joint overnight campouts with a Boy Scout Troop; however, a parent or guardian of each Webelos Scout must still attend."

"Webelos overnight camping at Boy Scout camporees and/or events is not a BSA-approved activity."

The Cub Scout Leaders Book Chapter 33 - states -

"Webelos Scout dens are encouraged to have daytime visits at Boy Scout district camporees and Klondike derbies. The purpose of these visits should be for the boys to look ahead with anticipation to their future as Boy Scouts and observe Troops that they might want to join. Webelos Scout dens should not compete against or participate in activities designed for Boy Scouts. Webelos Scouts should not spend the night as participants at the event if the program is Boy -Scout based"

So - To sum it up, camping with Boy Scouts at Camporees - NO, Webelos den/Boy Scout Troop joint overnight camping trip - YES.

National said no Webelos camping at, or participating in, Camporees because a Camporee is a BOY SCOUT event, with Boy Scout age appropriate activities, not a CUB SCOUT event. Webelos are still Cub Scouts, and should be following Cub Scout rules, and doing Cub Scout level activities.

Many councils will get around this by holding an overnight Webelosree at the same time, and area, as the Camporee. This way the Webelos can visit the Camporee to observe, but still have their own Webelos age appropriate activities. The Webelos generally will camp in their own area.

Eagle92 is right. Our council is planning a Huge event with all levels. Including overnight camping for all levels. They will have seperate camping areas, but all will be able to campout.

I think that teh reason why they only allow visits for Webelos is that the stuff they are doing is Boy Scout level and there is probably not a whole lot for the Webelos to do for activities other than observe. Do I like the idea, not really, but someone who gets paid a whole lot more than I do (which does not take much) says that is the appropriate thing to do. We are trying to make more plans with our local troop to have more activities.

Our Council told me the main reason why Webelos weren't allowed at Camporee was that the Boy Scouts where doing shootgun, rifle, and axe throwing which Cub Scouts are not allowed to do. Which made me feel a lot better about being told we couldn't go.

As far as attending a Boy Scout campout, there have been no problems here. Our Boy Scouts only take the 2nd year Webelos so they don't have as many young boys to worry about and it helps give them more one on one time.

Pack212Scouter,

I believe you have misread the requirements for AOL. It states that a boy must attend at least one Boy Scout-oriented activity. We have used our Webelosree and our Webelos Woods (Webelos resident camp) for those requirements. Both orient the boys into patrols and self-sufficiency including cooking their own meals. Our CM has made this mistake too and in fact scared half my parents because of it, which took a meeting of parents to clear up the actual requirement.

Our Council told me the main reason why Webelos weren't allowed at Camporee was that the Boy Scouts where doing shootgun, rifle, and axe throwing which Cub Scouts are not allowed to do. Which made me feel a lot better about being told we couldn't go.

But they are allowed to watch and this was always a great recruiting tool for Troops!

Webelos would get to watch Boy Scout shoot rifles & toss tomahawks & shot bows & arrows! Then they would get to hang out with a Troop at their campfire & eat with a Troop who just cooked their dinner on an open fire! They would go home after the weekend & tell mom & dad what they were gonna do when they became a Boy Scout!

That sounds like a SWAG (Sophisticated Wild ### Guess) to me.

I don't know why National changed the policy either. I remember one year we did one of our recruitments by taking the Web II dens to Camporee.

Troops can still invite Webelos Dens to Troop campouts. Troops can still invite Webelos Dens on hikes. Troops can do a lot of things, just not invite them to CAmporee.

I wonder how some of these 100th Year Council-wide Jamborees are going to happen? I've heard a bit about all 4 programs in one place...

John in KC,

I agree totally. Shotgun, Rifle, Archery, and Tomahawk ranges at Camporee? Cool but not easy for individual Districts to set-up. Most of the events I see are knots, lashings, first aide, cooking... All things the WEBELOS Scout needs.

I have had an inquiry with my DE for over a month about that requirement. No response yet.

YiS,

Rick

Don't misunderstand the point that the prohibition is only against Webelos at Boy Scout Camporees, meaning more than one troop. Webelos camping with an individual Scout troop is a strongly encouraged part of the Webelos-to-Scout transition.

The ban has been in place for at least 10 years. I think the rational is that activities planned for Boy Scouts will frequently be inappropriate for Webelos. Shooting sports, as mentioned, is a perfect example.

Rick,

We have a lake where we Camporee. By late October, no one is boating on the lake anymore. Shotgun is a non-problem, .22 short rifle cartridge is a non-problem. Black powder is a non-problem We shoot annually as part of Camporee.