Pack Meeting raffles?

About the only time that we give out door prizes is at our Blue & Gold Awards Banquet. We have found that if handed out during the middle of a program such as a Pack Meeting, they become distractions, also they tend to eat up time that could be used for a game or skit. Instead we concentrate more of the flow of the meeting instead of prizes.

evmori-

I'd be glad to have you come an observe one of our pack shows next time you're in the San Diego area... you might learn a thing or two. Funny you seem to KNOW what we need to be doing or not doing in our pack meetings.

Every meeting has at least one song, one skit, one game and various awards. We have a pack that is 5 years old now and started with 6 scouts. I just got an application for our 7th Tiger this fall in the new Tiger Den and that puts us one scout shy of 60 in the pack in 5 years in existience, so we must be doing something right.

Its not breaking any scout rule, our kids and families enjoy it, so what do YOU care if our pack does or does not have door prizes at our meetings? You asked why - I gave you my answers....

Guess you were really just asking so you could bag on someone - well good for you - you must be a better scouter than I am.(This message has been edited by DeanRx)

We did it for the 'on-time' scouts as well. The prizes were usually donated by parents. I had a mom that would donate her kids 'unused' toys. Grandma treated them too well and she would clean and find stuff still in the package or would put up things and then they'd lose interest and she cleaned stuff out. Win-win.

We had tried a totem and beads for the other stuff (uniform, opening) and it became a hassle.

No need to get your knickers in a twist Dean. I just don't see the need for everyone to get something at every Pack meeting. To me, door prizes, regardless of how they are obtained, are not necessary.

Glad to hear you Pack is doing so well? Do you attribute the growth to having door prizes at Pack meeting? Would the membership abandon ship if the door prizes went away? I hope the answer to either isn't yes.

El zingo Dean!

I wasn't attacking you in any way shape or form. Sorry you felt you needed to toss out zingers instead of explaining why your Pack feel the necessity to have door prizes.

I think "door" prizes sound like an AWESOME idea! I don't think it would work so much for our packs Pack Meetings but maybe to encourage more boys to go on campouts!!! HECK YEAH! I think I'll give it a shot! I already do that sort of thing for popcorn (although it's been hard to get donations from Walmart, Target etc. on time to award these prizes). However, to award a "door" prize for attending a campout might be an incentive to get that one boy who has been in the pack since the 1st grade and is now in the 4th grade and his family has NEVER been to any campouts! Makes me wonder what is going to happen when those WeBeLoS campouts come up!

When I was a Cubmaster about 6-8 years ago we sold quarter raffle tickets to Scouts and siblings for baked goods. One den would be responsible for bringing brownies, cookies etc. and we would end the meeting with drawing some tickets. I always made a big deal out of getting the brownies and to this day I have boys/men (now teenagers or in their twenties) ask me if I still like brownies. For my recent birthday one of my parents with a younger brother Boy Scout remembered to bring them to our troop meeting (and I made a big deal over it again).

Bottom line, if you make it cheap enough for everyone to participate and you make it fun I don't see any problem with it.