Need Help for 2010 CS Day Camp

Ok, last week I was asked to be the PD for CSDC next year. While I won't commit until I can guarantee the time off from work to do the week long camp, I believe I can get the time off and have begun working on day camp scheduling and activities. If anyone is willing to share what they do at their day camp to give me ideas, I would appreciate it greatly. I don't want to wait until after NCS in March to get to work.

Basically the way it works in my council is that the council only provides the theme. Each day camp creates its own shirts, patches, activities, schedule, you get the idea. While I have an idea of based upon this years camp: fishing, archery, BBs, crafts, nature, sports, and water games, all the different levels did the same activities, and honestly it was put together at the last minute IMHO. I would like to see what others do, i.e. scheduling, crafts, nature activities, etc. I want to work on some advancement, but also KISMIF. Again consider the problem as if I am beginning from scratch

Again I don't want to wait until after March when I've come back from NCS to work on this. I am use to planning stuff for the next year as soon as the activity is over with in the current year.

PM me if you wish.

Thanks

At our day camp, each program area has a typed list of possible advancement ideas to do over the week. Our Webelos earned belt loops for archery, fishing, and swimming. I know my Tiger did not earn those belt loops. In nature, the Webelos earned the Naturalist and Forester pins. Usually in September, we get a list of the individual requirements that were completed.

In sports, they do some of the physical fitness requirements, in crafts they did things that could count toward artist, etc but everything centered around our theme of Space this year. Scout Skills did flag folding, knot tying, first aid, and they made space pudding and identified constellations using an indoor planetarium.

My youngest is a Tiger and I haven't really looked at the book to see what he did. He did earn his Bobcat badge though - they play a special bead game and have to find the special people in camp and say the motto, promise, etc. So if they collect all the beads, they pretty much have earned the Bobcat.

Our camp goes from 830 to 530. Each session is about 40 minutes with 10 minutes to walk. We also have den time for practicing skits and just some down time. We always go in the same order but times are rotated so they aren't always doing the same thing at the same time.

They stock the trading post with inexpensive little toys that center around the theme and stuff that is Scout related - all relatively inexpensive. A lot of stuff comes from Oriental Trading I believe just looking at the stuff they had. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks guys and please keep the posts coming.

Short,

No theme yet for next year. Don't know when the council will come up with one either as we recently lost our council day camp chair, so I think finding a replacement is #1 priority. Can't wait for the first meeting to get ideas.

GWD,

To be honest I think the problem with DC has been the current CD. She's been here over 11 years and also does CS programing for the district, so I think she has too much on her plate and has burnt out. We followed her standard program this year, and while the newer cubs had fun, some of the older ones didn't. Basically it's one program for everyone. TCs are doign the same activities as Webelos. That's where I come in. I want to redesign the program to make it more age specific.

TDK,

THANKS those are some good ideas. Everyone please keep them coming.

Extending the time might be a good idea. right now we are essentially 9-4. Sessions are 35 minutes with 15 minute travel times. I bet we could narrow the travel times to 10 minutes except for the TCs, they go to the potty alot I've found.

A little background: Since we lost our council CSDC chair this year, there was alot of last minute stuff with day camp this year: i.e. theme didn't come out until April, registration forms came out in May, little to no promotion to the packs, etc.

With the district, recruiting staff was also last minute IMHO as we didn't get together until May/June. Fortunately we did it at a council camp and alot of the preliminary stuff had been done for us, i.e. inspection, water testing, etc.

Overall it was challenging to get folks involved, but we got it done. We had 4 DLs covering the 27 cubs in four dens (and this was a large number of cubs for CSDC in this district!)We had two certified shooting sports directors and two scout assistants. We also had 2 den chiefs, one assigned to a den, the other a floater. No craft director, no ecocon director,and no sports director. We were just given the supplies and told what to do with our dens. And as stated previously everyone did the same thing.

Eagle

Is this CSDC for your district or is it for the whole council. I know that next year the Boss was saying that they were going to do the mini Jambo for the Council.

Anyway I guess these are the things that we get to do when volunteered for our committee.

We use our council theme more for decorations and station names. Other than that, we recruit leaders for the stations we want to have: shooting sports, sports, fishing, Arts and Crafts, first aide, orienteering, ecology (Dept of Forestry sends us a guy), knots, etc, and the dens rotate through the stations at least once during the week. The station leaders figure out what they are going to cover with each level and set their own program.

BTW, our planning committee gets going in August with monthly meetings. In January we send out the call for pack reps and station leader volunteers to come to monthly meetings Feb through May to get info out to the packs.

Our day camp is very large: 300 cubs, 50 scouts, and 140 adults. So ruthless organization is the only way to go.

Sctdad,

It's CSDC, not the encampment the Boss wants. Trying to get the process started early.

Nike,

I would love to have 300 Cubs, but that would mean every CS in the district goign to camp :) The year round planning is what I am use to, and when I moved here I was shocked at how "last minute" everything appeared.

Last-minute planning always scares me, too! Sounds like you're on the right track. A few additional suggestions:

- Take a new look at the schedule, and determine how many different activities you'll need at each level during the course of the week. Then add a few more "indoor"-type activities for rainy or stormy days that can be done under tarps and pavilions, to keep in reserve. That will give you a concrete goal to shoot for.

- I'd start looking with the basic requirements - those give you a good sense of what types of activities are appropriate for each level. Tigers doing the same thing as Webelos? Oof, I agree, not good.

- But that said, try not to copy the requirements too much, unless it's something that's been requested. If the Webelos spent the spring learning how to tie knots, they're not going to be too excited by a knot-tying program at day camp... unless it's really interesting and presented in a new, exciting way. Such things are possible!

- Do some basic brainstorming for a few weeks. Check out books in the kids' nonfiction section of your local library - crafts, nature activities, environmental activities, even science fair projects - and start photocopying and taking notes.

- Talk with local teachers about interesting, off-the-wall activities, particularly in the sciences - they may have some hands-on activities to recommend that lend themselves especially well to Webelos programs.

- Check out some older Cub program guides for ideas. I have a 1963 printing of the "How Book of Cub Scouting" that has tons of activities, stunts, games, etc., that aren't in current materials.

- As Nike mentioned, state agencies can often provide experts and other "neat stuff" - helicopter landings, K-9 units, etc. Also check with nonprofit groups - nature societies, local museums, arts groups - and see if they could provide an instructor for a special program session or two.

- It sounds like you and the CD will need to focus on recruiting some more staff. Your parents and leaders shouldn't have to be instant nature/craft/sports experts. Plus, oftentimes the Cubs will listen better to a "staff member" than to their own leaders. Make a big pitch to your local OA lodge and nearby Venturing crews for staff. There are plenty of young men and women out there who can't commit to an entire summer of working on a resident camp staff, but might have a week - or at least a day or two - free to volunteer at your camp. Teaching is a key component of Venturing, so you ought to have some people who are experienced in that arena as well.

- If your family or significant other will permit it, start hoarding "stuff" now. You can re-use paper towel and TP tubes, egg cartons, old file folders and yogurt cups in a wide variety of crafts and projects. By the time the summer rolls around, you'll have a very nice stockpile, and it's all free.

The day camp my son went to this year was a big hit with him. It was four days running from 1:30 to 8:00 each day. The theme was Cub Scout Investigators. The biggest hits with him were the trading cards he received at each station with theme related items on one side and a map to help solve the mystery on the other (on some of the cards - trade cards to complete the map). Anyone that collected all the pieces of the map and solved the mystery received a special card and a treat.

The other item that was a big hit was the cooking despite being at that station right after dinner. They made english muffin pizzas one night and popcorn the other over hot coals.

The camp was huge (over 500 boys), but from my standpoint it ran very smoothly and my son had so much fun, he left saying he wished he could go to day camp every day that was not a school day. My only complaint would be that it is difficult to collect the trading cards when you don't come with your pack. In order to attend day camp, my son went to the camp by his father's home, because ours were too late this year.

Karen

Again keep the ideas coming!!!

Quick question: do they still do Webelos Overnighters during CSDC? I remember when I worked CSDC back in the '80s that the Webelos could spend one nite if they wanted too. We had the proper leadership and scout volunteers. I am trying to arrange the week of camp so that 1/2 the troops are not at summer camp, and they can possibly "sponsor" the event by having the scouts run it.

I'm not too worried about OA involvment: the past chapter adviser worked staff and will be PD next year :) , the current CA did shooting sports and will be the camp EMT pending his (re)cert class, and the CC was an assistant on 2 days he wasn't working.

Again keep it coming.

Eagle92

Must be great having a chapter that has youth participation. Our chapter cooked last night for the DC and the only youth who showed up was the son of one of the youth advisors. I hope this year we get some better youth participation.

Forgot to include before

One station involved community service. I do not know all the details, but my understanding was the project was an Eagle project for one of the boys scouts running the station. The boys (wolf/bear) made welcome signs to be given to families receiving a habitat for humanity home.

I believe a different scout worked with the Webelos on a more advanced project.

Sctdad,

Only 1 youth OA member. Most of the folks wer at either scout summer camp, or other summer camps, i.e. church, sailing etc. That and I was told that they now have to be 14 to help staff CSDC. hopefully the advance planning will help.

Everyone,

Crazy idea for you folks now. I know one of the projects I did as a Webelos was build a model catapult, which is still a requirement. Why not teach lashings and knots, and use scout staves to build a catapult like the old JLT course?

CSDC s are very individual to the District. What's that saying, the work is done by whoever shows up? The activities are honestly dependant on who becomes the leader there. A CSDC D can only encourage and inspire so much. Finding your Staff and EMPOWERING them is the real key to a successful camp. Ask around.... who knows someone who is a Nature person? Knots? Map and Compass? Chat them up...If you find a willing volunteer for a given activity but they know zilch about it, what ya gonna do? GET'EM TRAINED, QUICK!

*Scouts can usually handle Field Sports with a little guidance, but have an adult handy...Phys Ed Teacher?

*Yes, you gotta have a Range Officer or two for Archery and/or BBs.

*Tap the District/Council Training Committee for some Scout Skills people. They do IOLS and they could (should?) be able to teach Square Knot and Map and Compass BL, Leave No Trace, Flag Etiquette...

*Don't try to include too much rank advancement, that's not what CSDC is about. At the end of camp, we always issue a page listing the "POSSIBLE" requirements that MAY have been PRACTICED at camp, but that it is up to the Pack Leaders to decide if the Cub has PASSED that requirement. "Talk to the Cub" . We also mention that the Camp may be used toward the Summer Activity Award and the Conservation Award that the Pack and Cub may earn.

* Somebody on Staff MUST be a cheer leader. At Opening and Closing ceremonies, at least one silly Staff skit or Cheer. As the Dens gather and line up for Flag raising, someone should lead "On Top Of Spaghetti" or play "Scouter Says".

*Always include some "specials". Make them appropriate to the theme, if possible, but look for the "WOW" factor. A visit from the Fire and Rescue Tower Truck may have nothing to do with "Space", but the Cubs love to talk to these local heroes. Theme is "Wheels"? Ask the local contractor to bring in a BIG dump truck and talk about that. Can the Cubs crawl around in the cargo bed? Ooooo...

"Wings"? We had a local R/C modelers club come in and fly models. Jet Powered! Found a Racing Pigeon Club who came and took over one of our pavilions for the day to talk about birds! And at the end of the day, a mass release of birds. WOW!

*So "specials" can be either day long (Army Corps of Engineers take over Scout Skills and talk about structure, Cubs take home a Construction) or it can be a Lunch time thing (gaither 'round the Fire Truck and eat lunch) or a walk around thing (local Star Wars club comes in "uniform" and "inspects" all the stations "for the Empire"). Get your Program Director or the First Assistant Everything Else (my title) to do the calling around.

*Make sure the Cub Packs understand your Den Walker requirements, and publish your Camp Regs early. Insist on their understanding and following them. See Camp School. They should know that "Den Chiefs" do not preclude Den Walkers.

*** Make sure the Council, or whoever takes care of the Cub registrations, understands your DEADLINE.(Establish One!) And stick to it. It does no one any good to allow Monday Morning sign-ups. You can't plan and buy supplies. ""ABSOLUTELY No Registrations allowed after xxday, except by Camp Director's expressed permission, and you better have a REALLY good reason." " Council Program Directors want maximum sign-ups and this can lead to 8 Cubs arriving on Monday Morning with mom and check in hand.(happened!)"well Ms Soandso said we could sign up here today". Very embarrassing for all concerned. Do you say no? Shift Den populations? Insist that the moms become Den Walkers to allow their boys to attend? Where to get those 8 more bug boxes for Crafts? 8 more compasses? Enough stuff to attend to on opening day without this.

*Make the last day a different day. We do a Water Faire, with slides and burst balloons at archery and maybe a Grande Melee. Perhaps a Den Competition, a scavenger hunt or Obstacle Course or such. After lunch, Campfire (real or simulated) with songs and skits at the end of the day.

* If it seems appropriate, teach a "password" to the boys. You'll be pleasently surprised where you'll hear it used. "Take offs are optional!">>" Landings are mandatory!" "The fifty mile bike ride...">>" Makes you Wheely, Wheely tired!" Make it corny...

Oh it's getting late... Have you some fun.

Oh, One last thing... avoid calling your Cubs anything except that. Make'm proud of being a Scout, call'em boys, Campers, Scouts, Cubs .but not... ? eh?

YiS