So far my Webelos 1 den has done the mocassins and the woven camp stool from our local National Scout Shop. Both were age appropriate in my opinion. Although the stool takes about 2.5-3 hours to complete. Some of the boys were losing interest in the project, but it wasn't hard, just repetitive.

We are also planning to make handprint napkin holders for Christmas. Trace each of the boys hands on wood, cut out and nail/screw together with a thin piece of wood between the wrists. It can look like praying hands or with the fingers spread out. I suspect that the praying style will be easier to cut. I have to try mock ups of both.

A den a few years ago did them but the boys didn't cut the hands out. A leader did it on a jigsaw. I don't agree with that, it's supposed to be a project fo the boys.

We are also planning to make pictue frames out of wood moulding. The boys will cut the piece with a miter box and hand saw and nail together, and finish.

Hope these ideas help.

My son made a cookie tin banjo for an 8th grade science project, not Webelos, but all he needed was a hand saw, dremel, drill, and screwdriver. Supplies were a large metal cookie tin with lid, 36" piece of 1x3 sanded smooth, four screws, four eye screws, and 30 lb fishing line. Use balsa coffee stirrers for frets if you want.

It turned out really well and was almost tunable.

Google "cookie tin banjo."

Oh, safety glasses, because when you cut into a cookie tin with a dremel tool, it sparks impressively.

When my son was a Webelo, one of the things that we did was makea mosaic kitchen trivett. We used the bottom tray/bowl part of a clay pot. You know, the clay kind. The boys painted the tray part, then arranged their tile peices, I think we glued them down. Then, they grouted over the top. Both the kids and the parents really liked these. We also made leather pocket knife holders. I really don't remember what else, those are the first things that come to mind though.

~Pixie

My husband taught the boys to sew something (I don't remember what!) . All us moms thought it was great. At first a few of the boys were iffy, but then he said "hey, if you learn to cook and sew, you'll never need a girl friend!" With 4th graders, that went over quite well.

They did mosaic trivets too.

They made a hat & key rack at camp.

They made display stands for their pinewood derby cars.

They did a leather kit project at camp - I remember those being expensive and not that impressive, and would look for an alternative to the ones the scout store sells.

I know one den leader who had the boys make lightening bug houses with wood and mesh screen. Those were a huge hit (what kid hasn't run around at night trying to catch them in mom's empty mayonnaise jars)

I don't remember what else they did. I think if I were doing it again, I might contact a local troop and ask whether they have any useful rope projects that they would teach the boys to do. Maybe teach the boys how to lash together a mosquito-net bed frame for summer camp, for example! You can use pvc pipe for these rather than wood and make the whole thing for about $5. Very useful.

Here's a good resource I found on the web. It is 62 pages long, but lots of good ideas and materials in there.

http://www.cubroundtable.com/assets/pdf-documents/Craftsman-Activity-Badge.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I've been the WeBeLoS leader for probably way too long now but these are the things I do:

1. I take the boys to the local Tandy Leather shop where they get to do a few projects for free after hours. (3-4 little projects of stamping and staining) You can pay $5.00 per boy to do bigger projects but the boys are happy with the stamping.

2. "Tin Punch" luminares---I use empty mandarin orange cans filled with water and frozen. The boys use a permanent marker to draw their design on the can, then I take the can home, fill it with water and freeze it. The next meeting, the boys use nails and hammers to hammer out the holes needed to show their design. (all safety precautions are in place) and its a good idea to put your frozen can on a towel so when the ice starts to melt, it isn't making huge puddles on the table! (Live and learn!)

3. Origami boxes. You can find simple ones online and if you use wall paper the boxes become very useful and pretty to give to moms. However, this year I'm going to try making recycled paper with the boys so they can make their own greeting cards.

4. the 4th project I usually change up depending on the boys.

This year the boys will work on learning how to decorate a cake (tips, bags and all). Last year we used rexlace to make a key chain for their house key (not a good project), we did candle dipping one year (the boys had fun with that), we've done bead making (using polymer clay), and mobile out of polymer clay. They really like playing with the polymer clay and there are all different kinds of polymer clay.

For the wood projects the boys make Pine Wood Derby car stands and they cut Christmas tree ornaments out of thin wood. They paint them and decorate them to give to their parents at the Pack Christmas party.

I plan to have them make Wren houses, I'm trying for projects that will be used for years instead of crafty stuff that will be thrown out or stored away. Also thinking of a toy they will have fun with after it's made. Maybe a Scout theme wall rack for hats, neckers and such, all Scouty stuff in one place?

trying to remember all... the ones I recall:

pinewood car (obviously)

leather key chain/coin flob

bird house with chimes

they learned to use a sewing machine and made stuff bags for sleeping bags or dirty clothes... it does require extra help, more than 1 machine, and boys willing to take turns.

pvc is also fun to work with though my son didn't start "playing" with it until he became a den chief

Although we haven't finished completely we have used

Leather bracklets

Baskets (acutally ended up being the hardest for the boys)

Bamboo Windchimes

Hot dog/marshmellow roasters (bent coat hangers with handle)

for the non-wood projects.

We also used pinewood derby cars for one of the wood projects and we haven't done the last wood project but the wood ones are usually easier.

> We are also planning to make handprint napkin holders for Christmas.

> Trace each of the boys hands on wood, cut out and nail/screw together

> with a thin piece of wood between the wrists. It can look like

> praying hands or with the fingers spread out.

I made a set of these in Cub Scouts around 1972, and I believe my parents finally retired them in the last few years. I remember making that and also a Christmas tree ornament that looked like a bird feeder in Cub Scouts, and that ornament is still on the family tree every year.