Shooting sports regulations

Not sure if this post belongs here or elsewhere.....I am the Day camp Director For a medium size day camp. This issue rises every year. I and the other directors are told by the head of day camp visitation teams that 'only range trained persons are allowed on the range'. No other adults (except for Tiger cub partners) are to be on range. It is stated in the shooting sports handbook that the 'range officer must be range certified' and then talks about 'adult helpers' and doesn't mention for them to be certified. In the 'Operational Accreditation' handbook that they use to score camp it states:

BB-gun shooting (no pellet guns) is

conducted by a qualified on-site

range officer, at least 18 years of

age. Additional adult supervision

and guidance are provided, and

minimum state requirements are

met. All BB-gun range officers

have successfully completed the

BB-gun Safety and Training program

from a qualified instructor,

who is a valid instructor as outlined

in Shooting Sports for Cub

Scouting, No. 13-550.

The person that trains our range officers runs the council events and always has parents/adults involved in the process. His theory, as well as ours, is that he does the 'teaching' to the boys and the other adults provide another layer of safety overseeing the boys. One other side note....the accreditation officer works very closely with national and feels that she is right, no matter what the rules say. Great lady...just need to solve this once and for all.

My final word...it's all about safety and the more eyes on that goal, the better! Comments?

littlek,

Greetings!

I guess the bottom line is keeping the Cub Scouts adequately safe. My key word here is adequately.

I would obtain a copy of the Camp Standards, to see if you would receive a yes/no/comments according to a specific statement. Below I found a link to the 2008 version. The visitation form is changed every year, with minor modifications.

Now for my opinion.

If we go overboard with safety, we would wrap the Cub Scouts in bubble wrap and have them shoot at tissue paper with cork rifles or rubberband rifles.

The camp visitation sheet says that it is a certified range if it meets or exceeds the BSA and NRA standards. But how far does your visitor state that you need to exceed? The visitor is just grading yes or no and possibly comments on the visitation sheet.

Its been a while since reading the pamphlet, but the rifle merit badge book allowed for a two man (two Scout) loading method and a Ball and Dummy drill. So that the shooter does not have to move from the firing position to reload the rifle, also so the shooter goes thru the shooting disciplines with or without a loaded rifle.

Now Cub Scouts many times no matter how often you instruct them, will turn the rife around towards the waiting crowd. Sadly, it only takes 1 second to spin the rifle around; on the good side, it is only a BB rifle, the chances for a fatal accident are there but lower than 01 percent. So, I can appreciate the thought of having someone there to assist them in loading their BB rifle, and keeping them in the firing position (without turning around).

As I read the Camp Standards aka camp visitation inspection form, the only people in charge of the youth or the only people that should be talking on the range is the shooting sports director, the range officer, or the range assistants. Allowing adults on the range quietly to load and assist their own Cub Scout seems that would be up to the certified Range Officer. The adult would not be in any leadership responsibility once crossing into the range. They would only serve as a rifle loader.

My shooting sports director certificate expired about eight years ago. So, while I am knowledgeable, I myself am no longer considered certified. So I can only offer my opinion. I would welcome adults into my range as silent participants and rifle loaders, understanding that I or my range officer and range assistants are always in charge.

I would concur with you littlek. If you have complied with the Camp Standard visitation form, then the visitation team is adding even more safety requirements that don't exists. Interpreting the writing of the standards is their job, adding to the standards is not their job.

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/e/ee/2008_Resident_Camp_Standards.pdf

Good Luck, have a fun range and keep it safe!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)