Scout with behaviorial issues

We have a scout in our pack who has behaviorial issues. According to our CC, he does not pay attention, does not listen and is rowdy. I have not noticed the issues personally, as he is not part of our den. Our CC is saying that we should require a parent to be in attendance at all outings with him. Is this acceptable? Can we say one certain scout has to have a parent, but the others don't?

Yes a DL can do that.

Chances are good that the parent in question is aware of the issue. Kids who have problems typically have them in all parts of their lives. If that's the case, the main question is whether the kid has a parent who is willing to acknowledge this reality and work with your pack, or if the parent is in denial. If the parent is willing to work with you, then maybe consider signing them up as an Asst. Den Leader for that boy's den. (Gives them a good reason to be at everything)

The only question I would have is whether the CC is being too uptight? This is impossible to evaluate from afar, but it isn't exactly unheard of for 6-10 year old boys to be a little rowdy and not always paying attention! Does this boy's behavior really cross a threshold, or is he just a little rambunctious?

I have a scout like that in my den and our policy is to ask the parent to be present at all times.In Our case, we found that the behavior got even worst when his parents were present and decided to ask them to stay around but not in inmediate contact(other room or waiting in the car). The problem with this scout is serious as other parents and leaders have heard him use some serious adult language to his parents in the parking lot right before a Pack meeting. When I brought it up at the Committee meeting I was told by the CM that he is a scout with disabilities and we can't do anything about it. His ADHD condition was used to applied for the "disability condition". The parents' excuse ...his meds will start to wear off by the time he got to the meetings at 6:00pm, so I handled it with a lot of patience and lots of activities for him in particular. sadly he didn't complete his rank before he graduated into the next den and one of his parents have being ask to be ADL next year.

Is there a medical reason for this behavior or is the boy just annoying?

Requiring a parent at all Den & Pack stuff can be a good idea if the parent is helpful in dealing with this behavior.

If its something you do not feel comfortable addressing, or if it is taking so much time from the meeting that you have to disrupt meeting activities (for this one scout) on a regular basis, then YES the DL should ask for parental involvement and support at the meetings / activities.

We have a scout in our Den with a very mild form of autism. He is mainstreamed in the classes at school, so most the boys don't know anything about his condition.

He does from time to time get out of hand. Usually, not physically distruptive, but he'll sometimes decide that he doesn't want to participate in our activity and either try to wander off or wants to go in the other room and play with the dog, or watch TV. Once he decides this, there is really no reasoning with him to change his mind.

Therefore - we've had to ask that a parent be there so if he has a "change or heart" about participation 1/2 way through a meeting, we have an adult that can be with him without detracting from the rest of the group.

Bottom line - if they routinely take away from the group being a "group", then its reasonable to ask for additional help in supervising the scout (disability or not).

• 2 weeks later...

I had a boy in cubs that had a medical disorder and had many of the issues you listed... with our small den I was able to handle it just fine while in a meeting setting, but when we did any field trips or campouts I did require a parent to be with him - only once was his parent not able to be there and I asked another parent to come to help out and I took that boy on 1-on-1