the Bear requirements have "earn the whittlin chip" but I seem to remember seeing somewhere in my training that a wolf could be allowed to have a pocket knife(in an official book-it had a graph on when the boys can do what)... Even though it is bear req. can a wolf earn his card too? Is there anything saying they can not?

We had Whittling Chip offered as part of our Fall Cub-O-Ree. We were told that the age limit is 8 years old. We had a few Wolves who earned their Whittling Chip that weekend. I haven't seen the age documented anywhere, so I am going on hear-say.

This is a common issue that comes up for many "requirements" for various ranks.

Just because an activity is a requirement for a rank does NOT mean that younger scouts are automatically banned from the same activity.

One should consult the G2SS as the authority book on age appropriate activities.

However, the G2SS, does not trump common sense and personal responsibility. Trust your best judgement.

In our pack, yes, boys can earn their Whittlin chip as early as age 8, but we try to encourage them to wait until they are Bears to do so. It gives them a goal and something to look forward to. Also, I don't want to have to look after every pocketnife on a campout. If they are below a Bear, they shouldn't have one. IMHO(This message has been edited by DeanRx)