Mandatory Parental Involvement?

One of the local Packs has a policy that a a parent from each family has to volunteer for either a leadership position within the Pack (CM, ACM, L, ADL, etc...) or volunteer to plan and execute one of the events for the pack over the course of the year. (They have a list of the events)

Has anyone else seen a policy like that in action? How well was it received by the families? How did it relly impact family involvement, long term?

Our Pack has that rule. It kinda works. There is still a small core of folks that do all the work. But, part of that is they don't let go and have been doing stuff for years. However,next year, since most are moving on to Boy Scout, we will see if other parents step up to the challenge.

The biggest motivator has been, if parents don't step up, certain things wont get done. Like Pine Wood Derby and other labor intensive activities that the boys love.

It's kind of hit and miss, but when a parent is pressed to help, they usually do help.

Never saw that official policy when I was CM. Wasn't in the training course I taught for CM or BALOO....hmmmmm

What happens if the parent does not volunteer?

Is there a pack policy for kicking the Cub out if no parental volunteer?

I bet there is NOTHING written, becasue that NOT B.S.A. policy except for Tigers.

I would be curious if what you heard is really part of a written, compulsary policy or the result of vigorous COR/CC.

They can have an EXPECTATION that they can get some volunteers, but REQUIRED is another matter.

I advocated to all parents when I was CM, or taught the CM course, to recognize that the B.S.A. does not mean Baby Sitters of America.

Parents are EXPECTED to volunteer as much as possible. Even small bits helped.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

We had a policy like that. At our opening event for the year we put out sign up sheets by the doors for every single thing the pack would be doing during the year. We told families that everybody was expected to sign up for at least one thing. After explaining that we were all volunteers (you'd be amazed how many thought cub leaders get paid!) and all stretched too thin to try to do it all ourselves, most families would sign up for something or other. It also helped to explain what the events were (a short written blurb and a photo or two from previous years by the sign up sheets helped).

After the first meeting or two, we went to those who hadn't signed up with very specific requests (can you arrive early next month to set up tables, etc) and it worked out most of the time. A very few would flat out refuse. Sometimes that was just as well, once we got to know them a bit.

The other thing we found was that a lot of folks were willing to help, but did not want to be in charge of a particular event. So if you can nail down experienced leaders and parents to "chair" activities in advance and put their names on the sign up sheets, it is a lot easier to get others to put their names down as assistants.

No REQUIREMENT that parents have to "volunteer", that kind of takes the volunteer part out of it...

We do, however, make up a poster board every summer during our program planning meeting listing the events (and approx. month / time of year) each event takes place. Then at a couple of the summer gatherings, we announce the roster of events for the coming year and that we need volunteers to chair the subcommittees that run each event. If the slots are not filled, then the roster is at the back of the room for every pack meeting, with the CM(me) giving a gentle reminder of the spots still needing to be filled. It usually fills up by the end of September, no problems.

It is put out that it is strongly encouraged that a family (or one parent from a family) that does not already have an adult in a position of leadership within the unit SHOULD sign up. I remind them that the pack will be as active or lethargic as its FAMILIES want it to be, and that parents DID take an oath (yes we have one at our new cubbie induction) to support their son and the unit in being successful (that whole 'make the pack go' thing I read somewhere).

Usually, a nice, but firm reminder that 'many hands make for light work' does the trick. I can think of only once or twice that we as a committee has put out that we might have to scale back program events if no one signs up.... that has always solved the issue.

BTW - as an aside, this IS a very effective way to recruit new leaders. Someone helps decorate and coordinate the food for a Blue and Gold one year, the following year they help plan a pack family campout, then the next thing you know, they're a den leader or popcorn kernal... Small bits of volunteering success tends to build into more commitments in my expirience.

Our pack had a problem with getting new parents to volunteer, especially at the Tiger level. To help solve the problem I assigned an experienced leader to help the Tigers get started. This leader is only temporary (one month only) and plans and runs the meetings. They are also there to evaluate who will be the likely candidate to take over after they leave. Each new den is told from the beginning that they are responsible for a DL, ADL, and MC. I also let them know that they have to attend all meetings and since they need to be there anyway they might as well take a leadership position and have some say in what's going on.

The Pack I belonged to in Hampton Roads had a mandatory policy. One parent in the family was expected to sigh up for a Pack duty. At the Fall Family Campout held in Sept, a large poster with all "duties" was placed out for sign up. Several notebooks had one page descriptions of what the duties were, ie set up tables for Blue & Gold, Popcorn Chair, etc... It worked well. It helped that the duty sheets were very well written on exactly what was expected of you.

This large pack (80 Cubs), also had a mandatory fundraiser per Cub scout goal. You either sold $200 worth of popcorn for the Pack, or you stroked a check for $50. About half the families wrote the check. This allowed Pack dues to be low, and also allowed poorer families to "fundraise" their dues. If you sold >$300 popcorn, your dues for the year were paid.