Den Chief for Tigers

Please share your experience in using a Den Chief with Tigers. I'll be starting a new Tiger den in a couple of months and am contemplating whether to start with a Den Chief this year or wait until Wolf when the parent involvement will decrease.

Terry

We didn't use Den Chiefs for Tiger dens precisely for the reason you mentioned. The Tigers are each supposed to have an adult partner and it just seemed a Den Chief wouldn't have much to do. Den Chiefs are certainly a valuable resource, although unfortunately a much overlooked resource, for the Wolf through Webelos years.

A boy who likes small kids and can hold their own with parents.

For instance, my son would be a terrible Den Chief for Tigers because he has no patience with the sillyness of 1st graders but would be pretty good with Web I/II because he likes to teach more complex skills. I think you'd need an older teen who is already a strong leader, mature enough to reassure adults that he is responsible and even tempered, and isn't afraid to get goofy.

i would hold off on having a den chief til you get to the wolf level after all you want to keep the parents involved as much as possible and with luck you can pick up a couple of ADL'S along the way.use your parents as much as possible that way they don't become bored and attendance doesn't suffer.

• 3 weeks later...