Cub scout camporee

Our pack will be participating in a camporee in a few weeks. The question I have is how does everyone else work the food. We have about 8 families attending in all about 30 people. Should we have everyone contribute $ for food, have everyone bring their own food or have people contribute different items? Do any of your packs pay for all the food. We only have about 9 scouts attending (that's 1/2 of our PACK we have a small pack) the rest are family members. This is not a council run camporee so no food is included. We need 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 1 dinner plus all paper products, drinks ect.

The proper term for Cubs Camping is Cub Family Camping. I trust that's what you are doing. I also trust someone is a BALOO trained leader.

I'd recommend Pack level consolidated kitchen. The more experienced leaders can teach other adults and youth alike. Consolidated kitchen leads to buying by the Pack, and families paying a food fee.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

With any pack or (Webelos) den camping trip, we ask for a donation of $5/attendee/night, which is about right for simple & fairly nutritious food. I plan the meals with input from parents, buy the food, and coordinate cooking. I turn in food receipts for reimbursement from pack funds. This way, the pack ends up indirectly covering the cost for any scouts & family members for whom money is tight.

If you have each family bring an item or two, you'll run into problems if there is a no-show. Having each family cover their food or meal for the group may be hectic and or scare away those who don't think they are capable of cooking outdoors.

So, in my opinion, you should have a person or two (or three) plan meals, purchase the food, and bring the cooking equipment.

$3.00/person/meal $1.00/person/snack

it's a budget that we have used for boy scouts, cub scouts, and girl scouts... the larger the group the more likely you are to be under budget because you can buy in bulk, but we always put that extra little bit in the pack account when we were in cubs so that we could cover an event that went over a bit.

who does the cooking would depend on a few things... what activities they are doing, how much time between activities, what you're having to eat. When we did stations on our pack campout we always had 1 that was dutch oven cooking - the boys worked together to make a pan of something we'd use for snack/dessert either a cobler or a cake (you get the idea)... they learned how to care for them and they learned how to use an old school can opener you have in pocket knives.

the bulk of the cooking though was done by a few adults that volunteered to do it... they were ones that weren't running a station and knew what they were doing.

What - exactly - is a non-council camporee??

Are you talking about a Pack Family Campout? Your BALOO trained person should be the one planning and running all Pack Family Campouts. Who pays for what depends largely on how much money your Pack has, and how much they want to budget for their Family Campout.

At my Pack's Family Campouts the Pack used to pick up all costs. We have decided to start charging $10 per family (not individual) because folks who have put money down (even a little) are much more likely to show up when they say they will. The Pack will still cover all related expenses.

If this is a Cub Family Campout (I assume if its not council sponsored)...

About $15 per person over the age of 4 to cover the food for a Friday night, 3 squares Saturday, and continental B-fast on Sunday AM. Have volunteers bring the smore's fixin's... you'll always have more than you need.

Get 2 to 3 people max to organize the food buy and be the main camp cooks, otherwise it'll be chaos (OK, more chaos than normal anyways...) Then set up a kitchen roster that the rest of the campers (adults and scouts) rotate through to help with meal prep and clean-up. The camp cooks coordinate - the roster folks do the grunt work.

Finally - a couple posters have mentioned BALOO training... make sure you have at least ONE and better TWO trained adults.

Additionally, you need to have at least ONE adult that has severe weather training (online), at least TWO leaders with current YPG, and preferably someone with Safe Swim Defense and CPR if you are camping anywhere remotely close to water. Most of those trainings (except BALOO and some CPR courses) can be done online.

Don't forget the local tour permit (LTP) and make sure the YPG trained leaders listed on it are current within the past TWO years... some councils are really getting serious about double checking that credential before approving the LTP.

make your self a sign up sheet and charge 10 dollars a head , collect the money and plan your meals accordingly to proportions and servings sizes read your labels they will give you serving sizes by using this method it will keep you on budget and cut down on wast we usually have a cracker barrel on Friday nite and breakfast sat and a lite lunch and great dinner sat evening, and finish off with a lite breakfast on Sunday morning,and as always keep it simple and fun and follow the rules and leave it like you found it........