With the exception of earning the Map & Compass belt loop as one of the options to achieve Traveler, there is no orienteering/compass requirement in Webelos. That said it is a very good skill to learn, and one that they will need in Boy Scouts. Perhaps he is confusing the Compass Point patch that they wear on the uniform to show achievement past Webelos rank?

They can also learn it just for fun. I did it with my Webelos boys and they had a great time "playing" with the compass and because there's no rules, they can also do a little geocaching along the way, maybe a treasure map? Gee, if it's for fun there's a ton of ideas the boys can do that doesn't expect some pin, belt loop or patch. Compasses are a natural!

Stosh

We've got a very active orienteering group here in the Bay Area that holds an annual "Scout-O" event where Cubs, Scouts and Girl Scouts can come and try their hand at orienteering, including a competition for fastest, most points, etc...

I took my then-Wolf cub and his twin sister a few years ago. After a 15-30 minute discussion with me on reading the map, contour lines, magnetic vs. true north, identifying landmarks and the like, we were off. On the beginner course, most of the checkpoints were just off of (within 30 feet) established trails, so it's a great activity for Cubs to do under the right conditions.

Sorry I had to cut it off short, had to leave the job.

As I stated the belt loop and pin are viable options for any CS. Heck my TC wannabe did orienteering an GPS ont he pack overniter we were invited to. I'm jealous as I've never used a GPS before and he has! The TC and Wolves who did the geocaching, I mean TREASURE HUNT, had a blast, especially with the booty they found: Cookies and ice cold milk!

All I can say is go for it. Lot's of fun. The scout shop has some simple compass games you can play at den meetings. Hold a quick orientation and use them on a hike...just helping the boys follow the trail on the map will help get them comfortable with a compass and give them a head start on Boy Scouts. We have three orienteering events at the scout ranch nearby...I did a father - son team with my Wolf this year and we had a blast...went at his pace (its all about the kids, right?), found some flags, had several snack breaks, had fun walking through the woods and talking. Planning to take my soon to be Bear and my new Tiger back this fall as another father - son(s) team.

Of course, throw in a GPS and you've opened yourself up to a whole new world of adventure.

Take a look at the Rogaining thread, it has some links to how that operates, it might be something that could do well to scale down for parent/son teams that might be very doable.

Stosh

We are planning a treasurer hunt with compass work at a pack campout. I just wanted to do my homework, if it related to acheivements. I overlooked the belt loop. That will be great for all cubs. Thanks

Silva Polaris are NICE. While a "starter" compass, one that does every 5 degree, may be good to start off with, they quickly outgrow them. The Polaris is inexpensive, tuff, and has 360 degrees on it.

It is possible to buy a compass that's too cheap. You would think they all point north, right? We had a pile of $2.99 compasses from W-M and I took one when I took IOLS. Our whole patrol would line up on the orienteering course, take a bearing and head off -- except me heading about 20 degree to the right every time.

A couple tips for teaching wee ones map and compass. It's a bit etherial for little guys you have to make it concrete. Get one of the large-scale demonstration compasses sold at the bigger Scout shops so they can all see what you're talking about. The best tip is to make sure the map you're using is of the immediate, visible area. When you orient the map, it needs to be a real-time one-to-one relationship with what they see. Using a map of the state, pointing east and saying "the beach is that way" (for those on the east coast) means nothing. You have to point to the flag pole on the map, then turn and point to the flag pole over your shoulder.

I like twocubdads idea, it agrees with what I do at CSDC. I first set up aseries of maps I've collected from various sources and show how maps are a SMALL representation of the real world. I start with a map of the universe(!) I got from National Geagraphic. This connects to (shoop!) a map of the solar system (Mars! Earth! Jupiter!) which connects to (shooop) a world globe,and here's North America and the (Ta Da!) U S of A! but globes don't fit very well in the pocket, soooo... we invented a way to FLATTEN the curved Earth and (shooop) here's a map of the world! Let's see now, can we find the U S of A? Aha! And here's where Maryland is . Let's enlarge the little Maryland so we can look at it (SHOOOP!) Okay, who knows what THIS part is? Right! the blue is water, ....on down to the location of our CSDC. The park service gave us a couple hundred maps of the park, nice location sites, trails, map symbols, the Map Key, Scale. we orient that (SHOOOP!) to see where we are.

"Okay, when I count three, I want everybody to point NORTH. ONETWOTHREE!" Talk about agreement about which way to go.

We give out small working compasses (about a buck a piece from Oriental Trading. Yes there will be some defectives, order extras ) which are ok for whetting the whistle and mini treks around the camp. We divide each Den into smaller groups and go for a mini trek. Go due EAST twenty paces, then due South twenty paces (gotta talk about paces!) then due WEST twenty paces, then due NORTH twenty paces, where are you? Tigers experiment, play with the magnetic qualities. Webelos take it more seriously and we talk about better compasses, and declination.

For the BL, the CSs need to do more, but we give them the basics and they can go home with the knowledge.

KiS MiF