Pack Summertime Program

Ok, we are new to this. Our pack has not followed the rules in the past and has just been mainly go with the flow. There has not been much planing and they normally take the summer off.

My husband is a Cubmaster and we are trying to get our summertime program worked out to give to the boys. Our CC is too busy with other stuff and wants to focus our next PC/Ldr mtg on the summertime program. How does your pack come up with a summertime program? Does the PC vote/decide on it or does or someone complete a calendar and the PC approves? The leadership roles for CC and CM are very vague and seem to cross. My husband feels that planning the program is his role as CM and then he must run past CC/PC to be sure it meets CO guidelines, but not that he has to have their approval on which activities to choose. Our CC believes she is the ultimate voice in what happens. So, how does your pack come up with a summertime program?

In my experience if the job gets done most folks are going to complain about who did it.

But if you want to get picky, as Cubmaster, you husband is the chief program officer and the responsibility is his. My suggestion would be to come up with 5-6 ideas and let the committee have some input as to what they want to do.

Don't try to get too complicated with it. Go with the obvious stuff -- the district Cub Scout day camp is always one month's outing. The council here usually has a discount night at the local minor league baseball game. Swim parties are always easy, especially if you can convince a local swim club with their own lifeguards to let you just show up (that way you don't have to run the BSA safe swim defense).

I agree with TwoCubDad's statement that it is the CM's responsibility to come up with program ideas. However, as you stated the CC and CM responsibilities cross. Therefore, the best advice I can offer is, unless this is a battle that must be fought, dont fight it. If the CC wants to plan the summer events, let them. But, your husband needs to give his suggestions and argue for them if he really wants to do them. If your husband believes that the Committees ideas wont work (i.e. too complex or not fun) or wont be done (i.e. no volunteers), then kindly suggest that maybe next summer would be a good time to try their suggestion.

Regarding this general topic, I would hate to have an adversarial relationship with my CC. That would take lots of fun out the job for me. That said, there are quite a few things that my CC does that drive me crazy. When those things get in the way of program, I take them aside and we discuss it until they agree to try it my way. But this is a very rare thing because I am trying to be extra patient with this relationship.

So my hope for you is that the Pack has a fun Summer Program and your husband doesnt have to do all of the work by himself.

Now that Ive solved that problem, here is our Pack summer program:

June: District Day Camp

June: Build float for 4th of July Parade

July: 4th of July Parade

August: Back to School Party Usually a pool party at the community pool. Rented with paid Lifeguards.

Hope this helps.

As Cubmaster I come up with the ideas for the summer but my word is not law. It is mine and your husbands responsibility to develop the program but be ready for feedback.

The big thing to remember is that everyone needs to be open to ideas. I have done the same thing the last two summers and told the committee that I was bored with it to help me out. They had some really good ideas and we changed a couple of things.

Again, be open minded and if you have something that you really want to do then you gotta sell it. If there is something you think wont work then try not to burn it down too hard because it was someone elses idea and hurt feeling will cause a problem. Good luck!

Thanks. This makes sense. I guess our biggest problem is that the women on our PC like to stretch things out and be very "PC" about everything. They over-analyze everything and because of it, nothing in our pack right now is fun. We dread meetings and any communication with our CC. My husband has passed on his info/suggestions and I guess we will just wait and see.

BeginnerScout-I wish my husband could do that with our CC. Last year someone tried to help our CM out and our CC felt they were "taking over" had them kicked out of the pack. Their family is not welcome and because of our CC's positions in other community organizations (mostly PTO), they have taken their children out of most school related activities as to avoid contact with our CC.

We keep it simple so that people (namely me) don't get disappointed when Scouts can't come due to vacation/camp/other summer plans.

Jun: Scout Day at Whirlin' Waters (local waterpark)- Family Event

Jul: Harry Potter Movie Night - Bring a Friend (note: 5th & 6th graders)

Aug: Swim Party and Planning Meeting

Ours are pretty simple:

June: Varies, but normally it's a picnic in a local park, awards/advancement, then a hike/fishing/etc.

July: Independence Day flag ceremony and parade

Aug: Local minor league baseball game (we get to do the color guard before the game). It's a joint family outing with the Boy Scout Troop in town.

We have an Activities Chair that comes up with ideas. When the CC, CM, & Activities Chair get together in the Spring to plan the next year's calendar, they decide. We try to keep summer light with 1-2 Pack activities per month. This summer looks like this:

June - Bike Rally & Family Picnic.

July - Rock Wall Climbing, also Webelos Adventure Trip

August - Day at the Water Park.

And of course there are the resident and day camps scattered over the months.